Windy Ridge in Mt. Saint Helens is now open
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Windy Ridge in Mt. Saint Helens is now open

Posing with conviction Array heisenberg9's Avatar
    Bike
    anyone I can lean against

Windy Ridge in Mt. Saint Helens is now open

Just discovered that Windy Ridge has finally been repaired enough to open so all you Mt. Saint Helens fans can rejoice.

I may do a mid week trip before the Winthrop fete on the weekend.

I also checked out PWNRiders to get their take on it. The consensus is the stretch from entrance of Windy Ridge northward through and out of the park is a POS. "Suitable for motards" is a common remark. For those that know the area that is the route through Randle which has always been questionable. The southern entrances to the park have always been much better road wise and the roads are infinitely more interesting.

Here's the press release on it's opening:

For Immediate Release: July 01, 2009 Contact: Peter Frenzen (360) 449-7835 or Roger Peterson (360) 891-5007
    Windy Ridge at Mount St. Helens to Open for July 4th Weekend

Road and Trail Repair Work Scheduled for the South Side of Mount St. Helens

VANCOUVER, WA - Forest Road 99, which provides access to the popular Windy Ridge and Spirit Lake viewpoints on the east side of the Mount St. Helens National Volcanic Monument, will open in time for the July 4th holiday weekend.

The road to Windy Ridge was closed during the summer of 2008 due to damage resulting from heavy snow pack and storms during the winter of 2007-08. Thanks to hard work by Forest road crews and the Federal Highway Administration, visitors will once again be able to experience this amazing landscape on the east side of the National Volcanic Monument.

Near Windy Ridge, the Cascade Peaks viewpoint will offer visitors interpretive exhibits and materials, snacks and drinks, recreation passes and will provide visitor information. The facility at Cascade Peaks will be open Thursday thru Monday from 10 a.m. until 4 p.m. starting July 9 through Labor Day. Roving interpretive rangers will be greeting visitors at interpretive sites along Forest Road 99 during the weekends from early July through Labor Day.
    On the south side of the National Volcanic Monument work is beginning to repair sites damaged by recent winter storms.

Lava Canyon trail closing for repairs:

Starting July 2 the Lava Canyon trail on the south side of the National Volcanic Monument will be closed and will remain closed for several weeks while repairs are made to the trail. Visitors will still be able to access the Ape Canyon Trailhead on the south side on the mountain. Crews will be rebuilding sections of the trail and reconstructing upper Lava Canyon Trail Bridge. This work is being partially funded through a project which was approved by the South Gifford Pinchot Resource Advisory Committee under the Secure Rural Schools and Community Self-Determination Act of 2000.

Work will also be getting underway soon to repair a section of Forest Road 81 east of the Kalama horse camp which was severely impacted by flooding during a record rainfall event in November of 2006.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BCSportBikes.com
    Advertisements

Three hour tour guide Array silverD's Avatar
    Bike
    '08 Varadero
    Thanks, I'm heading down there next weekend and will factor Windy Ridge in now.
    I'm not addicted! and I'm not quitting!!
    Heeere's your sign...

...and "always" look on the bright side of life...

Bike
    Don if you are talking with Tony you should let him know "the road" is open.

Bike
    '08 Varadero
    Which Tony, thumper or traveller?
    Heeere's your sign...

Bike
    I was thinking Thumper.

Bike
    your girlfriend
    Quote Originally Posted by heisenberg View Post
    I was thinking Thumper.
    oh Thumper 8 won't be riding anywhere too soon. i saw his bmw,, err klr has had some technical issues. hopefully the friendly and nonintimidating staff at EMS will have him up and running soon.
    THE MOST DANGEROUS PART OF A BIKE, IS THE NUT THAT CONNECTS THE SEAT, TO THE HANDLEBARS.

Bike
    I'm just here for the intelligent conversation.
    I'm down in hood river at the moment (sitting on the can, or I wouldn't be on bcsb lol, we may head back through there tom or tue. If so I'll take pics. I'm with the jeep + bicycles so it'll be a more scenic journey.

Bike
    SV track, VFR road
    "Suitable for motards" = normal BC highway.

Bah. It'll be fine--except for the "Duffy Lake Rd too rough" crowd.
    "When in doubt accelerate.
    It may not help you avoid the problem,
    but it'll end the suspense."

WMRC #96 (retired)

Still defying gravity... Array Thumper 8's Avatar
    Bike
    3 and 6 cylinders of fury
    Quote Originally Posted by BLADERUNNER 954 View Post
    oh Thumper 8 won't be riding anywhere too soon. i saw his bmw,, err klr has had some technical issues. hopefully the friendly and nonintimidating staff at EMS will have him up and running soon.
    Andrew, thanks for the heads-up. I hope it is open again next year - I don't think I will have time to make it down this year.

And sadly, the mighty, mighty KLR was putting out sooooooo much arm-stretching power that the front sprocket stripped off the drive shaft... I knew that turbo mod was just asking for trouble

(photo courtesy of the evil mod)

aka Tony

My WMRC/Pitt Meadows and other bike photos are at Thumphoto.com - follow on Twitter and connect on Facebook

Bike
    If I manage to get rid of this bug I have right now, I am heading down this week. Need a good shot of real riding to make up for too much posing this season. God I love to pose.

Bike
    2004 R1, 2005 DL1000 V-Strom
    Hmm, destination Windy Ridge.

Lets see if the grandparents will let wifey and I away for a weekend.
    Reformatted to fit your screen.

Above the 49th Parallel and completely beyond Hope
    Bike
    Shuttleworth Snap
    Seems to be quite a few off down there this weekend - including me
    STFU = Acronym used by an internet forum poster without the ability to formulate an intelligent argument or response. [See “dullard”]

Bike
    Thumper sorry to hear about your woes. Hopefully things will clear up for you next year.

Bike
    I'm just here for the intelligent conversation.
    No report, we came up through 97 and went through Osoyoos instead.

Old Hedley's looking fine though. And I can Finally see the appeal of Manning park now, having done it on a weekday.

Bike
    '08 Varadero
    No report! What good are you to us

Yeah, the Hope-Princeton is fun if there's no traffic, but can be real frustrating when stuck behind something as there's not "that" many, relatively safe, passing areas in the fun bits.
    Heeere's your sign...