Love to Ride? Ride Safe!

Thread: Love to Ride? Ride Safe!

on top
    bike? yes, sport? no

Love to Ride? Ride Safe!

2009-07-07 16:01 PDT

RCMP Traffic Services in British Columbia would like to remind all motorcyclists that with summer here, sun, long winding roads, and endless days make for idyllic riding days. However before jumping on the bike though,you need to remind yourself of some safety tips to help to keep you safe, while you enjoy our Beautiful BC highways.

Did you know that;

Motorcycle fatalities have increased by 76 per cent in British Columbia over the past 10 years. Inexperienced riders and riders who need to brush up on their riding skills are at the highest risk. While motorcyclists are estimated to make up about 1.5 per cent of insured vehicles in the province, they accounted for approximately 10 per cent of road fatalities. We strongly encourage all riders young and old to practice those skills regularly and participate in local schools to enhance your ability, it may save your life.

We want you to Live to Ride Another Day. While you're riding your motorcycle, follow ten simple rules.....

1. Learn and Practice

2. Obey the rules of the road.

3.Ride at appropriate speeds.

4. Watch out for left turning vehicles.

5. Stay focused.

6. Remember, to others you're invisible.

7. Dress as if you're planning to crash.

8. Ride Sober.

9. Be courteous.

10. Enjoy the Ride

Supt. Norm Gaumont
    Officer in Charge
    "E" Division Traffic Services

Released by

Sgt. Rob VERMEULEN
    Media Relations Officer
    "E" Div Strategic Communications
    5255 Heather Street, Vancouver, BC V5Z 1K6
    Office: 604-264-2929
    Fax: 604-264-3200
    fred 1) n. a person who spends a lot of money on his bike and clothing, but still can't ride. "What a fred -- too much Lycra and titanium and not enough skill." Synonym for poser. Occasionally called a "barney".

2. Remove Advertisements

Kawasaki Land Rover and a liter-twin
    I'd love to know how they came up with the 76% increase... proportionally to insured bikes? Overall number?

Mostly sensible points otherwise.

Registered User Array
    N Van
    2009 Hayabusa
    Ok who doesn't know this already? How about taking some ppl off the road who are eating cereal or putting on make-up in the morning?
    so add:
    11. Watch for ppl eating cereal while driving
    12. Watch for ppl putting on make-up while driving
    13. Don't die while riding your m/c

Street:SV1000S Race:Ninja 250R, CBR600 F3, DRZ125
    I was gonna go for a ride, but it seems if I'd follow all the rules it would be boring so I'm just gonna get drunk and play some motogp08
    Some people are like Slinkies ...
    Not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

TwinBrosRacing <-click
    WMRC & PCMRC #19
    WMRC President

Daytona 675
    I think they are all valid points. Sure, you can whine about drivers being inattentive because of various distractions like phones, cereal, shaving, brushing teeth etc, but the fact is you as a rider have no control over what others do. You only control your own actions.
    All he is trying to say is that if you want to minimize the risk, ride smart.

I was in the Kootenays for a few days and I saw tons of bikes. Hardly any of the riders wore reasonable gear (more than a helmet). I guess temperatures in the low thirties will do that.
    We all chose our own poison, just be prepared to live (or die) with the consequences.
    “Calling upon my years of experience, I froze at the controls.”
    – Stirling Moss
    "I race to win." - Ayrton Senna
    "If he had survived Imola 94, we would all be racing for second place" - Michael Schumacher