My wife & I just got back from a 4 day ride up into the Okanagan & Kootenays. Rode up to Osyoos on Friday and met up with some friends. On Saturday we rode from Osyoos to Halcyon Hot Springs on Arrow Lake. Few things stand out on this day:
1. If they forecast 35+°C temperatures and "up to 1mm rain" in thundershowers, don't believe them! We rode for more than an hour in pelting rain up to Castlegar. It was wet and cold: even in summer, don't be like us: take your rain gear!!
2. The Kaslo - Nakusp road is now my new absolute favourite road in BC. Great surface, what feels like thousands of corners suitable for decent speeds (not too slow, not too fast), negligible traffic.
3. Lightning in that area is scary! While refueling at Nakusp we saw a lightning strike out in one of the hills: started a small fire that was pretty much immediately doused by the rain (fortunately!).
4. Lazing in hot spring water in the rain after a day's riding is neat!
On Sunday rode from Halcyon to Peachland. Highlights of this day:
1. Rode into the buzzing metropolis (NOT) of Fauquier: came to a small roadside restaurant called "Mushroom addition" and there must have been 50 bikes! Amazing! Turns out to be THE bike destination in that area. Also the only place that I have ever come across that the owner of the restaurant/filliing station will fill your tank and clean your visor!
2. A camelbak or similar is your friend in hot weather! On this day the temperatures ended up in the high thirties: if it wasn't for the camelbaks and iced water I would have been in trouble!
Rode from Peachland this morning. Only real standouts: I dislike riding on the Coquihalla and traffic on Highway1 was a circus from just this side of Hope. Fortunately we turned off at Abbotsford to get to Richmond via 16th Ave.
All in all: 1,660km without any mishaps: loved it!
Some pics attached.