getting older
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: getting older

Bike
    rz350 yammy

getting older

Just would like to know any onther older riders out there that think like should i hang up the jacket?Reson i ask this is that kids are getting older and say dad you gonna die on that bike...Now what do you say to that?Iusally say come on lifes to short to sit on the porch you gotta go out there and well rip it up.That said how would anyone out there anser this question?

2. Remove Advertisements
    BCSportBikes.com
    Advertisements

Bike
    FJarrrrrrr!
    Buy a vstrom....lol

There's no "right" answer, people do what they want, we all live by our choices, do what ya have to.
    Quote Originally Posted by G Hats View Post
    A sore ass is better than a shredded back!

** BIKE NIGHTS 2013 **

Bike
    2006 K1200S

remember flight 447 ...

the one that went down recently and killed a whack of people?

Well, there was this woman (or couple) that tried to do everything possible to get on that flight but they never did, and survived because of missing it. Oddly enough, one week later the couple were in an auto mishap and she died in the car accident ...

So - when your time is up it's simply up!! If you are meant to die, then you'll die. If your time ain't up, then you'll live through whatever you put yourself through. You can hang up your gear and hide from life all you want, but it ain't gonna save your ass if your time is up!!

Ride-on ... live life fully and don't cower in fear, missing potential experiences while alive - for experience and memories are all we've got in the end (you can't take your money or your things with you, but memories, well maybe ...

Registered User Array Measuredpath's Avatar
    Bike
    Honda CBR600F1, wants a Cafe Racer!!
    The best way I can think of answering that is very similiar to how I was raised on hand guns.

1. Taught to respect all firearms
    2. educate me through the safety and technical side
    3. Respect some more
    4. Enjoy the sport for what it is

Basically, you do what you feel is right. You can help by letting them understand what it is that is exciting about it as well as going over how you take some precautions when you ride ie riders training, gear etc. Broaden there understanding of what risks are involved and let them know you aren't taking a blind risk and associate other risks for day to day living.

Live in a box or live in a world of exploration and understanding
    Arai Vector, Sidi B2's, Aplinestar T-Exile, Nankai gloves

Bike
    rz350 yammy
    lol k rod relax.. im not given up riding.

Bike
    rz350 yammy
    just to let you all know i ride in this damn heat last cople days in leathers i ride safe dont cross a intersetion with out checking both ways at any time.im a safe rider. just that my kids ask this of me to stop what does a father do?I dont wanna stop riding im safe and i lovre to ride .. but well my bike is second to my kids..

Bike
    DR650 SuMo
    perspective and priorities. you sound like a sensible guy and a SMART rider. there are very few "older ones" around - just ask TeeTee and some of us "older guys" - hahaha. "change" doesn't have to mean REGRET or giving up one of life's passions. like everyone's trying to point out... RIDING is sometimes an irrational choice. yet we all wanna do it 'till we can't anymore... well... at least i do. hahaha. without sounding too "yoda":
    talk to the kid-lings.
    educate them on how you ARE doing things safely for you and especially for them.
    ...and always keep the BIG PICTURE in mind.

a bunch of winter's ago, my sister gave me a framed photograph of me and my uncle on his 1969 Honda CB350 Superhawk - i was 3. in the same frame was a bigger photo of me and MY neice on the tank of my 1999 ZX9R in an almost identical pose... and she has the same look of awe and wonder that i had on my face in 1969!!!

just ride.
    this concludes tonight's motorcycle philosophy lesson... LOL
    cheers and all the best,

José "i think this heat is melting my brain"...

Bike
    '07 triumph 675 (Trashed)
    Maybe just change the style of riding , switch to dual sporting or track days on a motard . Maybe dirt biking with the young ones ..........at the end of the day it's your call and decision . My personal opinion is , giving up a real passion in your life for any reason sets a bad example for the children , they need to learn that all of life is a risk vs. reward . It is important that they see you being happy doing what you love to do , so later in life when a teacher says to them, " your painting really isn't that great" or a friend says "your rock band just sounds awful" , that they don't cave in and just give up and work away at a miserable existence for the next 20- 40 years wondering if they should have stuck with the band and lived happy and poor or maybe have become a famous artist . Just consider the deeper lessons that a father needs to teach when faced with such a question or statement as you have from your kids .............end deep thoughts .....off to bed now .
    I can only surmise that the "2005" in your name is derived from your year of birth. You weren't born yesterday, but pretty damn close to it. - Howattzer to Phantom2005
    BCSB Ride Video links --- http://vimeo.com/search/videos/search:jafkaf/431febee

Registered User Array
    Bike
    nekkid
    Hell, I'm looking forward to retirement and riding more. Although it might have to be a burgman.

Bike
    2006 K1200S

I didn't mean it that way ...

Quote Originally Posted by blixicus View Post
    lol k rod relax.. im not given up riding.
    Hey friend, I'm over fifty and still 'ride like the wind' ... but not without thinking about the dangers and consequences and potential results should 'parameters' be broached. Older riders that are still ambulatory, physically functional beings are just that BECAUSE they (we?) use intelligence, caution, wisdom, insight and skills in formulating riding styles, paces, practises and habits. To rise above one's ego (trying to 'race' another rider in inappropriate conditions/places, wheelying to show off in potentially dangerous times/places etc) is to garner said wisdom and safety concerns and to thus, hopefully, extend on'es riding 'career' well into the latter (golden?) years.

There are many seniors out there who still ride. Shoot, my buddy's dad (81) still rides his '82 Goldwing around like nobody'd business!

I remember back when I sold my '86 Gixxer 1100 because in my 30's I thought I was 'too old' to be pushing it so hard and 'riding at the edge' wayyyy too often than was wise, but I missed the sport/experience so much I ended up buying a '92 Bimota Dieci that next spring and rode the wheels off that thing for years ... great bike!!

So, as somebody previously mentioend this might be an excellent opportunity to teach your young ones about the aspects of personal restraint, wisdom, skill, insight, safety and ego-transcending perspectives in life so that they too understand that while there are risks in the world and life, one can confidently walk ahead into and through situations without having to worry incessantly and without allowing potential risks to 'cripple' or 'neuter' an individual from living life fully ...

And I use these metaphors not in criticism or negatively, but merely for a more colorful presentation of ideas and views. I think that we are fortunate to live at a time when technology and materials and production methods are so well established and known, that for fifteen or twenty grand one can walk in to a m/c shoppe and buy, what was once only a few years ago million dollar race-bike technology, a bike to ride home on that day.

Incredible. The bikes may be faster and more powerful, but one doesn't need to ride crazier or dangerously to enjoy the sport, and the scenery certainly hasn't gotten any less enjoyable over these 40 years (for me) of riding bliss.

Ride safe ...
    Last edited by K-rod; 07-31-2009 at 09:37 AM.

hanging out at timmies Array
    Bike
    a suzisomething
    the world of non motorcyclists see's
    us as a bunch of crazies with a death wish.i got news for you people ITS NOT TRUE. my dad has been riding since he was 16, he is now 83 and still at it. currantly on a
    kawi concours, soon to be on a gixxer.he has no plans of giving it up.
    one of his long time riding buddies
    now in his 90's,still riding,
    did a trip from vancouver to ottawa
    and back last year. if you're still healthy and have your wits about you you're never too old to ride.
    Last edited by rawdonflyer; 07-31-2009 at 01:07 PM.

Bike
    2006 K1200S

exactly !!

Quote Originally Posted by rawdonflyer View Post
    the world of non motorcyclists see's
    us as a bunch of crazies with a death wish.i got news for you people ITS NOT TRUE. my dad has been riding since he was 16, he is now 83 and still at it. currantly on a
    kawi concours, soon to be on a gixxer.he has no plans of giving it up.
    one of his long time riding buddies
    now in his 90's,still riding, did a trip
    did a trip from vancouver to ottawa
    and back last year. if you're still healthy and have your wits about you you're never too old to ride.
    well said ...

Registered User Array
    Bike
    XT 550
    Riding gets better with age.

Registered User Array
    Bike
    Victory
    Riding a bike is inherently dangerous and it is a decision that we have to make individually(although it seems like the cost of insurance is trying to make that decision for me) depending on our responsibilities etc. I always thought that when I have a child that the cost responsibility would require that I hang up the leathers for awhile but when they have hit the age where there makin it on there own I would start riding again. When all is said and done how do you want your kids to remember you. On the other side of things if thoughts of your riding competency are creeping in, and your not sure whether or not you can find the perspective to judge yourself have somebody else do it.There are probably various ways to have yourself tested. Some of the older riders are definitely some of the better riders lets face it you can only learn so much from a course ... there is nothing like the actual experience of almost high siding off a wet manhole cover in a merge to teach you a valuable lesson that sticks. Look it this way you have survived so far the "natural selection" of the open road and maybe you can pass that on to the younger riders(they might listen ) in a social way, biking is inherently social, u wave I c you.

Bike
    2003 fz-1

Life as a older rider

We have a experienced perspective of life because of our age, it tempers our enthusiasm, with life's realities we have lived through.
    I have sat with my mother, father, brother as they died and attended the funerals of 7 friends 2 of them riders, the funerals were sad events but talking with my father over 6 weeks as he spiraled towards death changed me the most. He did not want to die drooling in a vegetative state, at 85 he was content he had lived a full life and he said to me
    Live your life as it will end, pursue your dreams in a responsible manner so as not to put other aspects of your life in jeopardy, enjoy the passage of time as you cannot hold onto a single moment. There will be events in your life when you will feel the wind of time blow through your bones and they will ache as if you have aged many years in a day.
    There are two things in life that matter, children and laughter, on your death bed when a child sits and holds your hand as you slide toward death, your time with the memory will end shortly and their commitment to stay with you and deal with the difficult event is affirmation you did things OK in your life.
    The memories of good times and crazy laughter that leave you breathless, can bring a smile to your face now and 40 years later, are what you want to remember.
    On Wednesday sorel and I did 856km and I was thrilled to be out there, my reality is water and snacks to optimize my capabilities on the road and ibuprofen at home to help with aches. My corner speed is 20km below his but for me running a 40km corner at 80 is enjoyment and watching him tip in at 100+ was educational, definitely a day for the memory bank.
    Your children may not comprehend your feelings toward motorcycles now but as a parent you will encourage then to look for something in life to be passionate about as it is easier to be good at something you like than force yourself to do something to just pay the bills or follow the crowd.
    One of your roles is to give them opportunities to experience different things and if you are lucky you will have some common interests and if not then you stand back and wish them success and hope the qualities you passed on to them help keep them safe.