best web hosting site ?

Thread: best web hosting site ?

Bike
    RSV4

best web hosting site ?

im looking for a all in one web hosting site , domain name , site builder etc with newer templates perhaps with advertising included google adwords , yahooo facebook etc

anyone know a a good site ? ive been looking at homestead , host gator ( only linux system ) and others but honestly there is way too many choices, homestead wanted 50 per month for everything included but the templates to design your website totally sucked ..

any suggestions would help thanks

Villin Array
    Bike
    1990 EX500
    site5.com is the best.

seriously THE best

unlimited storage, unlimited bandwith, tons of free scripts and stuff, great support.

my website http://brokenforty.com/ is hosted on site5

THE BEST

site5.com

its cheap too...
    1990 Kawasaki EX 500

I'm a newb

BCSB Public Relations Array kerunt's Avatar
    Bike
    none
    SHANE, choosing a web-host based on the "templates" that they offer is a really, really bad idea. Such templates are aimed at consumers who have no idea what they're doing, and the companies' hosting services usually reflect that, too.

Also, don't fall for advertising gimmicks like "Unlimited storage" and "Unlimited bandwidth" - it's bullshit, as there is simply no such thing. This simply means they have very high limits, but there are still limits. Based on what you're looking for, I'd say there's next to no chance you'll ever come even close to those limits, but I would still stay away from companies which resort to such advertising; they are simply preying on the uneducated consumers.

A company I used to work for had all their clients hosted on a single "dedicated virtual server" ($50/month) account at mediatemple.com. After working with their services for just a few weeks I opened up a "grid server" account ($20/month) for myself and have not looked back since; it's quite simply the most professional hosting company I've ever dealt with.

The services, the support, the reliability, the ease of use, the documentation and general professionalism is definitely worth the extra $15/month I'm paying now over all my previous hosting servers. I've gotten the majority of my clients to move to MediaTemple, too.

I suggest you get yourself one of these grid server accounts, you won't regret it. As for the templates, just get yourself either a CMS system (Drupal/Wordpress) and a nice theme, or a custom template from http://www.templatemonster.com/. It's all very easy to setup.

Heck, if it makes your life easier I'd be happy to set you up on my own account (free, of course), I've got way more resources than I'll ever use. All you would need is a domain name ($10/year), and I'd give you an FTP account & access to a MySQL database. Shoot me a PM.
    Last edited by kerunt; 08-12-2009 at 01:33 PM.
    "Yamaha" - it's Japanese for "fuck your sports car."

myside.yourside.myside Array bluenote's Avatar
    Bike
    sold :/
    I think godaddy is probably just your speed, and, if you do your research beforehand, you can usually find a 25% off coupon code, AND, if you buy multiple years of the hosting at once you'll get an EXTRA 15% off the top of the hosting costs. [Multiple years must be on the first purchase, you can't "upgrade" and get the double discount if you try to do it later]

As far as whether they are the best, or whatever, I dunno. I run some fairly mission critical stuff through them (relatively low bandwidth though) and I havent really had any problems.

Their pricing has no credibility for me though, because they are ALWAYS offering different deals, in somewhat tricky ways (go through THIS link, not THAT link .. on their OWN site), and the coupons, etc. As well, I've noticed they seem to want to charge for a lot of little extras. However on the plus side, there's a lot of stuff included as well.

I like 'em but not everyone does.

Cory

BCSB Public Relations Array kerunt's Avatar
    Bike
    none
    I've heard a lot of horror stories about GoDaddy. Apparently their services are quite limited in terms of what you're allowed to do (technologically), and their customer support is shit. Might be okay for a simple, basic site though.

But, I have all my domains hosted through GoDaddy and that's been generally a decent experience. Not great though:
    - Their admin interface is cluttered and generally a pain to use.
    - There are more ads on every page than I care to count.
    - They are constantly pushing more of their bullshit services on me.
    - They automagically subscribed me to their stupid newsletter (there is an unsubscribe).
    - They send a ridiculously annoying number of email reminders whenever a domain is set to expire.
    - I'm tired of seeing Danica Patrick all over the fucking site and every damn GoDaddy advertisement; she's not even all that hot.
    "Yamaha" - it's Japanese for "fuck your sports car."

Bike
    08 Albino 848
    GoDaddy sucks, but they did get Danica Patrick to do their commercial, oh and that blonde German woman lol

Bike
    RSV4
    thanks guys

KERUNT pm'd

Registered User Array Motorambler's Avatar
    Bike
    Bikeless at the moment
    I used GoDaddy eons ago & they were great to deal with. Dunno how things are now.

Kerunt, thanks for the good info on MediaTemple. Will check it out if/when I need web space again.

Villin Array
    Bike
    1990 EX500
    depends on the site size really, but site5 has amazing value, and for someone who is looking for templates and such, they offer easy auto install of wordpress and so many other CMS.
    1990 Kawasaki EX 500

I'm a newb