Overfill during a recent oil change

Thread: Overfill during a recent oil change

2006 Suzuki GSX-R750

Question Overfill during a recent oil change

I recently changed my oil and filter but I overfilled the oil by a slight margin. The oil is shown as over the high marker in the glass window. Does it matter???

2. Remove Advertisements

BCSB Public Relations Array kerunt's Avatar
    Starbucks in turn 2.
    Well there's probably a reason for the high marker...

Unfortunately draining a small amount of oil is going to be a bit more of a headache than adding some.

Place a container to catch the oil under the oil pan and loosen the bolt a bit with a tool, and then use your hands. You should be able to loosen it enough to start leaking oil, yet without taking it off completely. Drain a bit and tighten, then clean up.

However, this method will result in small amounts of oil getting trapped in the bolt's thread - probably not a great thing.

Best thing would be to completely drain the oil into a clean container, clean everything up, tighten the drain bolt, re-fill with the same oil.
    "Yamaha" - it's Japanese for "fuck your sports car."

Three hour tour guide Array silverD's Avatar
    '08 Varadero
    Quote Originally Posted by rideforfun View Post
    I recently changed my oil and filter but I overfilled the oil by a slight margin. The oil is shown as over the high marker in the glass window. Does it matter???
    Depends on what you mean by slight...

Personally I wouldn't worry if it was no more than 1/16 or 1/8" or something like that.. but if it's half an inch then you could take some out.

Sacrifice a turkey baster and some hose if you can to suck some out through the filler.
    I'm not addicted! and I'm not quitting!!
    Heeere's your sign...

...and "always" look on the bright side of life...

Street:SV1000S Race:Ninja 250R, CBR600 F3, DRZ125
    personally if it's "slight" such as Don described IMO I wouldn't worry about it. I can actually think of cases where stunters go and add extra oil with no side effects.. it's generally safe to say it's better to have too much as opposed to too little.
    Now If really bothers you, you easily drain a small amount as described.
    Some people are like Slinkies ...
    Not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

TwinBrosRacing <-click
    WMRC & PCMRC #19
    WMRC President

New Westminster
    2001 919
    turkey baster is your friend
    Ride naked !!!

Swivel on it Array SkydiveSonic's Avatar
    If it's a small amount leave it. If it's like 1/3 of a litre or more, you can just drain and refill. not like it takes a whole lot of time.
    If you wanna say something, speak into the mic. It's right above my balls.

2009 Suzuki SV650SA
    If it's to the top of the viewing window, is that too much? I've ridden about 300 km now and I haven't noticed no ill-effects so far. Am I safe, or should I suck some out? If it was too much, would I have noticed some ill-effects by now?
    '09 Candy Thunder Blue Kawasaki Ninja 250R (now the wife's)
    '09 Grey Suzuki SV650SA

Registered User Array 125cbr rider's Avatar
    2014 Honda CB500X
    make sure your on really flat ground, and your handle bars are straight.

if its a cunt hair over, i wouldn't worry. if your worried, drain a little. make sure that what ever your dropping the oil in is squeeky clean and dry from whatever you were cleaning it with. that way if you drain to much, you can throw it back in.

New West
    2002 vfr800a 2003 duc ss1000ds
    i always have a few syringes around with some plastive tubing.

great for getting too much oil out and sucking the brake fluid out of reservoirs. among other things.