I Raced a Harley & only just won!!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: I Raced a Harley & only just won!!

oldskool suzuki rules Array maggotbreath's Avatar
    237 HP 86GSXR11 Turbo Streetfighter, 84 GS1150EFE, 73GT750 in pieces. XN85, GS250, GS450, BSA500X2, BSA650, XT350

I Raced a Harley & only just won!!

I raced a Harley the other night, and after some really hard riding I finally managed to pass the guy. I was riding on one of those really, really, twisting sections of down hill roads with no straight sections to speak of and where most of the curves have warning signs that say "30 KPH".

I knew if I was going to pass one of those monsters with those big-cubic-inch motors, it would have to be a place like this where handling and rider skill are more important than horsepower alone.

I saw the guy up ahead as I exited one of the turns and knew I could catch him, but it wouldn't be easy. I concentrated on my braking and cornering. Three corners later, I was on his fender. Catching him was one thing; passing him would prove to be another.

Two corners later, I pulled up next to him as we sailed down the road. I think he was shocked to see me next to him, as I nearly got by him before he could recover. Next corner, same thing. I'd manage to pull up next to him as we started to enter the corners but when we came out he'd get on the throttle and outpower me. His horsepower was almost too much to overcome, but this only made me more determined than ever.

My only hope was to outbrake him. I held off squeezing the lever until the last instant. I kept my nerve while he lost his. In an instant, I was by him. Corner after corner, I could hear the roar of his engine as he struggled to keep up.

But now I was in the lead, and he would no longer hold me back. I stretched out my lead and by the time we reached the bottom of the road, he was more than a full corner behind. I could no longer see him in my rear-view mirror.

Once the road did straighten out, it seemed like it took miles before he passed me, but it was probably just a few hundred yards. I was no match for that kind of horsepower, but it was done. In the tightest section of road, where bravery and skill count for more than horsepower and deep pockets, I had passed him. Though it was not easy, I had won the race to the bottom of the road.
    I will always remember that moment. I don't think I've ever pedaled so hard in my life. And some of the credit must go to Raleigh, as well. They really make a great bicycle.

2. Remove Advertisements

CBR600RR / RVT1000 RC51
    CRF 230 BSA 650
    Classic, love it.
    Long Live Shervin Of The North!

New West
    Ya, a classic for sure, love it.
    Quote Originally Posted by G Hats View Post
    A sore ass is better than a shredded back!

** BIKE NIGHTS 2013 **

Canadian Murder Capital
    '07 triumph 675 (Trashed)
    That is some fuuny sh*t bro , and I ride a Harley . ( I'll get you next time damn you )
    I can only surmise that the "2005" in your name is derived from your year of birth. You weren't born yesterday, but pretty damn close to it. - Howattzer to Phantom2005
    BCSB Ride Video links --- http://vimeo.com/search/videos/search:jafkaf/431febee

Noob-but-not-born-ystrday Array redv's Avatar
    *In your Mind*
    09 Harley VRSCF
    Yeah, well I can outwheelie you on my skateboard!

Registered User Array bakwheeltango's Avatar
    Z1000, GSXR1000
    lol ! you had me right to the end. haha good one
    Z1000 - GSXR1000

Will wheelie 4 boobs! Array Jave's Avatar
    06 R6... Redline: 27000000 bitches!
    Oh man... as I was reading through the story I was thinking "Oh man he's gonna get burned for posting this." But in the end it all made sence. Classic!
    Danger 4 dinner... Sex 4 breakfast...

New West
    That is a great story, gotta tell a shorter version of that to my irrational Harley loving uncle, who can't stand the facts
    2013 Ninja 1000 Angel II
    2011 Ninja ZX-10R Demon
    2008 Ninja ZX-10R
    2006 VFR 800
    1993 CBR 600 F2
    1991 CBR 600 F2
    1984 XLR 350R

Quote Originally Posted by LCPeter View Post
    stopping for anyone [is] strictly optional
    Quote Originally Posted by bandito View Post
    super amped up about semi-naked jello wrestling with...

2006 ZX14, 1981 Brat Bike, 1981 Goldwing.
    I kind of figured something was up. Kind of expected the family car instead of the bike though.
    "Every time Catherine would rev up the microwave I'd piss my pants and forget who I was for fifteen minutes" - Cousin Eddie

BCSB Public Relations Array kerunt's Avatar
    Starbucks in turn 2.
    Haha, I was reading it and thinking to myself, "What kind of fuckin harley has more horsepower than 220hp turbocharged gixxer?... wtf!"
    Last edited by kerunt; 09-22-2009 at 10:44 AM.
    "Yamaha" - it's Japanese for "fuck your sports car."

Old Dirty Bastard Array masonjarz's Avatar
    White Rock
    2008 Honda XR650L
    Should be a sticky!!!!!!!!!!!
    She looked like Olivia Newton John, if she were really ugly, and had huge balls.

Honda all the way Array
    fortune city
    2007 cbr600rr
    rlol. you just made my day.

that was an awesome read. well done, must have been fun as hell
    -Dave Gibson
    "Catching a yellow-jacket in your shirt at seventy miles per hour can double your vocabulary."

White Rock and Edmonton
    None at the moment
    +1 on awesome!!

Whistler, BC
    I'm just here for the intelligent conversation.
    It's funny every time I read it.

But in all seriousness. My girlfriend's dad passed a harley while on his road bike on the Furry Creek passing lane... going up hill.

There's was obviously something wrong with the harley, but it's made for a good story nonetheless.