Need help with stripped FAIRING mount bolt....

Thread: Need help with stripped FAIRING mount bolt....

Team No Team Array

Need help with stripped FAIRING mount bolt....

I know something similar has been posted before but, just wondering....

Just picked up a 99 GSX-R 600. Its the middle bolt on the L fairing and the lower middle bolt on the R fairing. All the other ones came off easily. They are the ones that require an allan key and those suckers were on tight!! Must have used a power drill or something... But what's the best option given that I can't really heat it up with a torch cause it will melt the fairing and the bolt is in a depression in the fairing? Can't access the bolt with vice grips. Can't weld anything onto the bolt.

I tried using a dremel and the circle cutting tool to make a line across the top, but most of my flat heads aren't wide enough to bridge the gap. The ones that do barely make it, and the biggest one I had stripped a corner off on the top. And cause it s a disc cutter, I can only go so deep and so far out, more in the middle than the edges of the hole.

So what should I use?

EZ Out?
    Chisel and hammer on the slit I made with the dremel?
    Find a ginormous flat head screwdriver?

2. Remove Advertisements

Sounds like you have tried all the right things. I think the next step would be the chisel. Just be careful so you don't smack it too hard and break your fairings.

Or you may want to try and drill it out. Use a left handed drill and make sure you get it in the centre. 9 times out of 10 that will be enought to get it out without using the EZ out.

I hope this helps

glowing ghostie! Array gordopolis's Avatar
    I have kids
    Try an impact driver? But it may be difficult to find a hex head.

If a ginormous flat head would work, then try a penny cut in half an give it a shot with vise-grips on the rounded end of the penny. At least with the copper, it would act like a drift and no doubt warp before something else did. If you try it, get somebody on the other side of the bike and you push in hard before you try to turn, making like a human impact wrench.

Good luck!

Go down to the hardware store and pick-up one of those handheld impact screwdrivers that turn when you smack it with a hammer, they can be hard to find but they work like a dream and it won't snap the bolt like an air powered impact.

The Mighty One
    This might sound silly but try to turn the actual fairing too. If the bolt has already been jarred a bunch of times you might be able to loosen it that way. One of the heads on my brake caliper bolts was stripped. I tried vice grips, drill, hammer, screwdrivers and even broke one of my neighbors easy outs. Nothing was working but then he turned the caliper a little bit to see if he could pull the wheel out of the way. The bolt turned with it and came loose. I know that the fairing isn't very solid but it might be worth a quick try before pulling out the heavy artillary. Good luck!

2011 VStrom 650, 1983 KZ750, 2006 WR450, and any racebike I can get my hands on!!
    when all else fails, jam a board behind it, give it a hit with a hammer! Then stick your allen socket in there, give that a little hit, and then press hard and turn.
    You laugh, but that is the way! If I can't get one out, I ram somethig behind it, crack it with my smallest ballpean, and it usually comes out.
    Don't fear the bell, it tolls for thee. Or is that the hammer!!
    chicken strips are a sign of intelligence
    unless you're at the track ;)
    DO IT!