looking at a decent 88 katana

Thread: looking at a decent 88 katana

Registered User Array pahoogawoo's Avatar
    09' Street Triple

looking at a decent 88 katana

Hi all,
    I'm looking at an 88 katana 600 and would like some input on the suzuki katana's in general... I haven't really heard much about this bike so some input from someone who has actually owned or riden one would be nice
    I am still a newb and am just getting this bike to ride for one or two seasons for learning purposes. It seems to be in nice condition, and has around 50K km's I am wondering if these bikes are really heavy.. or how they handle ect..
    Any comments would be nice, because i am looking at purchasing it in the next week (yea i know the season is over, but she'll be good to go for the new season )

Also doe's anyone have a suggestion for having a mechanic look at it? I am told its about $60+ and they can look at it for a couple hours and tell me if there is anything wrong with the engine.. Should i take it to a Suzuki since it is a suzuki(such as the one on kingsway?) or does it matter what shop i take it to?

Thanks for any replies

2. Remove Advertisements

Registered User Array Commuter Boy's Avatar
    Suzuki Bandit
    I'd take it to Imperial or 5th Gear, they're both very reputable and won't feed you any bullshit.

They're older bikes, oil cooled, not water cooled so they're a bit down on power and wear out faster. Lots of things will be shagged and need some serious maintenance, budget at least a grand extra to fix it up, maybe two if you want to really do a nice job on it.

After budgeting for that, you might be better off looking at something newer.

license to chill Array frontside5's Avatar
    R6, F4 stunter
    Yes they are heavy. This is one reason why the Katana did not have the kind of following that other bikes of the era enjoyed = less OEM & aftermarket parts availability.

If you're looking for a very economical sportbike I would suggest keeping an eye out over the winter for something like a Honda CBR F2, F3 or F4. They are durable, fairly straightforward to work on, and share parts or compatability with their massively-produced successor that you'll see everywhere - the F4i. The knowledge base of forums and how-to's for these bikes is also huge.

Wait the winter and see what pops. At the very least you'll save yourself the storage insurance.

If you have your heart set on this one, I second Imperial for an inspection.

we actually looked at the bike last night. It has electrical issues, small amount of rust in the gas tank, transmission was weak, acceleration was lacking, top end wasn't there, front forks are "squishy" and the front overall is so heavy it causes the bike to want to drive like an awkward car.

The main thing though was it was far too heavy for him. I wouldn't have even wanted it for myself.

The guy selling it however was probably the nicest and most honest guy we've dealt with... EVER.
    -Dave Gibson
    "Catching a yellow-jacket in your shirt at seventy miles per hour can double your vocabulary."