BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

Duffey Lake Road WARNING >>>

2K views 26 replies 12 participants last post by  K-rod 
#1 ·
Howdy ya'll out here in bike land !!

Just wanted to say to anyone thinking of the Duffey Road in the coming while - especially any newer riders - there is still lots of (tricky) pea-gravel strewn in many, many corners so you have to be REALLY spot-on on picking the right lines through the corners and even then ... ??!!

and ...

At the present time temps at night are going below zero for the duration of the night up there, and even though the air temp might get up to 12 degrees (or maybe more?) in the daytime, the PAVEMENT WILL STILL BE COLD ... which make s HUGE difference on available tire friction/grip ...

BE CAREFUL up through there !!!

#2 ·
Lots of corners up there with gravel on both sides, and in the middle of the lane. The only two 'clean' lines are where cars' tires pass (essentially the middle of positions 1 and 3) - got to be really careful in these corners.

Lots of awesome scenery though! :D

#4 ·
I consider most of the Duffy a scenery ride now, it's in scary-bad shape. A bit of speed on the straight bits ok, but a lot of the corners are like minefields. Even a few "spirited" blasts on the straights managed to bend up my license plate up from the back tire hitting it. The bike wasn't thanking me for that one.

#3 ·
did this ride on Sunday as well.
Duffy is in the best shape i have ever seen it. new pavement on mnt Currie side :). pot holes filled, was a great ride no more gravel then to be expected. however just be aware rd was salted on mnt Currie side. there is a risk this time of yr for black ice.
air temp read 0 deg in some areas.
its definitely a worth while ride and hwy 12 was clean and perfect.
would not recommend for newbies this time of yr.

#5 · (Edited)
Hey Jeff,

Were you up there in the morning with another VFR? When my buddy and I pulled up to the construction zone there was a bit of a lineup of cars, which we promptly passed on the shoulder. Turned out there were a couple bikes sitting in the lineup, too. One was definitely a silver VFR, perhaps both. Was that you by any chance? :)

I consider most of the Duffy a scenery ride now, it's in scary-bad shape. A bit of speed on the straight bits ok, but a lot of the corners are like minefields. Even a few "spirited" blasts on the straights managed to bend up my license plate up from the back tire hitting it. The bike wasn't thanking me for that one.
This was my first time up there, and I wasn't thrilled with the road conditions. I became really paranoid and extra cautious after passing through a couple of those gravel-filled corners, and it's a good thing I did, too - there were many more of such corners to come. Definitely an awesome blast of scenery, though. Too bad I didn't have my camera. That lake looked absolutely amazing.

#6 ·
I banged my license plate up so often on that road that I remounted it. It's still bent and there's a tear on one side. Still love the road and ride it three or four times a year.
Can't wait to try it again next summer.

#9 ·
hey (ice)man ...

Ya ya. I bin riding that sukker for years - since the first year it was paved.

It's fun, but an animal! I know that many on here might be conversant enough with the vicissitudes of conditions, traction, mountain road/pavement fickleness and so on ... but there seems to be quite a few new(er) riders who are venturing forth further out there in territory and comfort zones and there was some banter/talk about a few people still going up there this year.

If ONE rider's skin and bike are saved from crashing, it's worth a few lines of warning.

#20 ·
ahh - but 'grasshopper' ...

the newly paved portion is sooooo much fun for the sporting crowd it makes it all worth while (I just ride up to the end of the new shit).

#22 ·
wanna start a riot ...

.. talk about the general policing and banking industry management and financial arrangements in this country ...

that should open a 'shit-storm'.

#25 ·
me and a bud made it through the Duffey on Sunday too a bit later but still made it home before sunset.

Conditions were tricky but not too bad. The new pavement is super fun.

Lillooet

Duffey

******** shooting potato gun into the gulley

#27 ·
damn you pricks ...

the weather up there is fabulous today, my buddy is up there pn his 999R and I'm stuck here in my office !!!

The pics rub salt in nicely.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.