BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

Ninja 250 racing

4K views 15 replies 9 participants last post by  rscudiver 
#1 · (Edited)
I was wondering if there is a class for these bikes to race in or if anyone has considered creating a class for these bikes. I remember back in the 80's they had the rz350 cup races and I was thinking a ninja 250 class would be a great cheap way for people to get into racing at a very reasonable price as there is alot of these bikes around for cheap and would be a great way to learn as well as a real test of racing skill as the bikes would all be pretty much the same.

after I googled it I found this mabey we could get something like this at mission. I would by a 250 to race

Advanced Kawasaki is pleased to announce, that in conjunction with WSMC, and Kawasaki Motors Corp, the forming of the 2008 WSMC Ninja Cup Championship.All Kawasaki Ninja 250R's qualify, but only 2008 and newer will be eligible for contingency.Advanced Kawasaki will be sponsoring it, with payouts for every race, and a new Kawasaki KLX 110 to be raffled off at the end of the year for Ninja Cup participants. Kawasaki will be paying contingency with (at this time) $500 to win, and will be paying down to 5th place (subject to change).Rules will be based on WSMC's Superstock, with two exceptions:No internal engine modifications, and the requirement to run "Pump" Fuel (subject to change). Final and complete rules will be issued by the WSMC sometime after the holiday.

See less See more
#2 ·
Where is WSMC?

What is your question?

You say you would be willing to buy a 250 to race, since it hinges on recieving that contigency from Kawasaki you would be buying a new one. A new bike and then suspension and race bodywork would run you more than just buying an older 600 that is already prepped. If that is not what you meant then I'm sorry, please explain it to me again.

Since you are into research I would suggest reading the WMRC rulebook about forming up new classes. To save you some time, 8 bikes are required to form a new class. Get 8 racers to submit a Ninja 250R to race and you will have a spot somewhere.

Good luck.

#3 ·
Oh, and I resurrected an RZ350 class about 3 years ago - we had an initial verbal commitment of 8 bikes (at least) and then we really only had about 5 show up to race at any given weekend.

I still think that the GS500 / EX500 / RZ350 / 250 cc classes are the way to go for cheap and fun racing. I bought a GS500 and "raced" it a couple of years ago but there really wasn't any other bikes in that class to race with so I sold the bike. I loved it though as it was fun and "safe" to race (well, as safe as it can be to race). :)

Let me know if I can help you. I know that there was a bit of a contingent of racers who were interested in getting together a 125 class as well (CBR125) but that never went anywhere either.

#4 · (Edited)
Where is WSMC? No idea what this even means

What is your question? I was wondering if there is a class for these bikes to race in or if anyone has considered creating a class for these bikes?

What I am getting at here is the idea of creating an extremly low budget racing class for beginers or anyone that just wants to race for fun. The only requirment would be having a ninja 250 any year and racing leathers. It would give wanabe racers a very cheap starting point and be good for the industry.

#5 ·
Where is WSMC? No idea what this even means.
It's the Willow Springs Motorcycle Club in California. It's probably one of (if not the) biggest regional clubs in the U.S. It is within close proximity to many of the top race team shops and aftermarket distributors in the country, their season runs from Jan through Nov and they have more than 40 different race classes.

Needless to say, the large amount of racers WSMC can draw to its events helps make it feasible to make something like a 250 Ninja class feasible. Regional Canadian clubs, of course, are in a different situation and ones like the WMRC works hard just to maintain the classes it does run. New categories are always being considered if it's believed they will improve the quality of racing at Mission and attract new racers. As others have indicated above, though, it takes people actually committing to a new class to actually make it run. A 250 Ninja series was suggested when the new model was introduced in 2008, but in the end - as with the CBR125 and RZ/RD attempts - no one really stepped up to make it happen.

#6 ·
#8 ·
If you can get enough racers to fill the class, not onsies and twosies, on a consistent basis (every race weekend), we will create a class for you to race in. It has always been that way. At the beginning of the 2009 season, there were supposed to be a large number of SV650 racers too. Turns out that only 4 or 5 of us showed up, and only 3 or 4 were eligible for contingency.

I just don't understand it. Suzuki PAYS money to to the top 5 finishers on ANY year Canadian VIN SV650. You give them your VIN at the beginning of the season and cheques just show up in the mail. And we still cannot fill a grid with these bikes.

Kawasaki Canada is working with us to hopefully bring a 250 class to the WMRC much like the WSMC, but riders have to step up and commit to racing the bike on a regular basis.

#12 ·
Talk to Chris Pearson- Western Kawasaki rep. He is looking for people who would be interested in getting a decent class going. Last year he got the OK but there were not enough 250s to go around even to the stores for purchase.

It would be a spec class, very little prep. He wants to get this going this year with 'Kawi bucks' to the winners. I told him I was IN. I know Kelly Bell and a few other hard cores are interested as well.

#13 ·
Talk to Chris Pearson- Western Kawasaki rep. He is looking for people who would be interested in getting a decent class going.
That would be great if anyone but you knew how to contact him. Maybe you want to tell the OP how to contact him? Just a thought.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.