600rr front master cylinder retrofit!

Thread: 600rr front master cylinder retrofit!

Bike
    2004 600rr

600rr front master cylinder retrofit!

Hey to all you pre-2007 600rr owners out there. Just wanted to say i just finished retrofitting an R1 radial master cylinder and steel braided lines onto my bike and the difference is amazing! I can stop most of the time with just 1 finger on the lever where before sometimes i was using 1/4 to 1/2 the lever travel without any of the sensitivity this one has. It looks way better too without that ancient blocky style MC on there.

For those that don't know an R1/R6 radial master cylinder is a direct bolt on upgrade as well as the 07 and up 600rr's that come stock with em. It provides better lever feel and overall cool factor

2. Remove Advertisements
    BCSportBikes.com
    Advertisements

Bike
    97 Thunderace (sold!), 91 F2 track bike, 04 600RR track bike
    Looks good, please more info on this.
    What year R1/R6 master cylinders can be used?
    Can I reuse the 600RR brake lever or the brake lines?
    Is the reservoir home-made?
    Any other (maybe not so obvious)things to consider during the install?
    Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. Albert Einstein

Above the 49th Parallel and completely beyond Hope
    Bike
    Shuttleworth Snap
    Picture above looks like a conventional MS not a radial. Did you post the correct pic?
    STFU = Acronym used by an internet forum poster without the ability to formulate an intelligent argument or response. [See “dullard”]

Bike
    My what?
    I was just thinking the same thing. Here's an R1/R6 radial master,
    Last edited by rgm; 10-12-2009 at 09:00 PM.
    I didn't say it was your fault, I said I was blaming you.

Bike
    2004 600rr
    Quote Originally Posted by rgm View Post
    I was just thinking the same thing. Here's an R1/R6 radial master,
    Ah yes. As so my stupidity has been discovered. Its a master cylinder off a 99 to 2001 R1 that i thought was radial, but discovered after buying it off ebay that its conventional with a remote reservoir. It still feels alot better than the stock 600rr Master. cyl. though.

Any master cylinder off of an 05 and older r6/r1 should bolt right up using your stock lines and all. Also the 07 and up cbr600rr, cbr1000rr, and rc51 MC works too.

You will not be able to use your stock brake lever. You will need a brake lever from the corresponding bike you took it off of. I bought mine off ebay for 20 bucks WITH the lever. Threw a rebuild kit into it for good measure as you never know what your buying with used parts...

Overall it was a cheap, easy upgrade that made a significant difference in my bikes braking ability. For how much it costs to do why the hell not give it a go this winter.

Bike
    2004 600rr
    Quote Originally Posted by GerMan View Post
    Looks good, please more info on this.
    What year R1/R6 master cylinders can be used?
    Can I reuse the 600RR brake lever or the brake lines?
    Is the reservoir home-made?
    Any other (maybe not so obvious)things to consider during the install?
    It was actually my smoothest day of wrenching ever. No hiccups at all. Drain your brake lines, unbolt the old MC, rip off your old lines(or keep em your choice) bolt the new MC on, reattach everything and start the painstakingly long process of bleeding your dry lines, hehe.