Electric bikes?
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Electric bikes?

Fast Pack Slow Guy Array Tattoodles's Avatar
    Bike
    A privileged sufferer settling for an Italian motorcycle

Electric bikes?

I'm thinking about picking up an electric bike for my commute on nice days.

Anyone got any recommendations for brands of ebikes or places around Vancouver to pick one up?
    My bike is so much faster than yours that I dare you to ride it, you lame little turd. Do you have the balls to ride this BOTTOMLESS PIT OF TORQUE?

~Hunter S. Thompson

Fast Pack Slow Guy Array Tattoodles's Avatar
    Bike
    A privileged sufferer settling for an Italian motorcycle

http://www.jvbike.com/bikes/A2B.htm

This is on my short list. $3K. Range of up to 40 miles with two batteries (overkill). Looks like fun! Throw some nobbies on it and you'd have a fun snow toy, too.
    My bike is so much faster than yours that I dare you to ride it, you lame little turd. Do you have the balls to ride this BOTTOMLESS PIT OF TORQUE?

~Hunter S. Thompson

Bike
    I think Sushigirl has one.

I'd go for an ebike kit. Don't get a purpose built one.

THe kit would be a brushless front (or rear) hub motor with a rim that would take a 36 or 48 v battery system on a 25 to 35 amp controller a standard. Your batteries can be SLA, nicad, nimh, or lithium. Lithium is the way to go, and it is not the same lithium as in your computer.

It is Lithium Iron Phosphate, or LifePo4, for short. This is the latest technology in ebike batteries.

A 36 v 15 ah LifePO4 battery and a front hub, 500 watt brushless motor can set you back about $800. you can get to about 32 to 35kph on 36v . on a 48v batt, you can go 40+ kph maybe up to 45 or high 40's or even break 50kph depending on road conditions. road resistance, etc.

IMHO this set up is better, as you can use your existing mountain bike as your ebike, rather than buying a whole new bike. besides, you can't mod or customize much on purpose built bikes.

Go to ebikes.ca on main and 28th. Also check out endless-sphere dot com. That is a discussion group dedicated to ebikes and evehicles in general

I am seriously thinking of going the ebike kit route next summer.

Bike
    2006 R1-SP,2003 CBR 600rr, Santa Cruz V10

Swiss E-bike

E bikes are huge in Europe, especially in Switzerland!! Seems like a lot of city people decided to go that route. It’s like a 2 wheeled Prius.

The very best one you can get IMO is the STROMER from Thoemus.
    Bike was developed by multiple Swiss Universities and the Swiss Power Companies.
    More info here:
    http://www.thoemus.ch/stromer

Battery is integrated in the frame (lower main tube) and comes out if needed.
    Motor delivers 500 watts; build in in the rear hub.
    Speeds up to 50km/h no problem (with pedaling support). Reach up to 90km in the 250 watt mode or 60km in the 500 watt.

Price : 4000 $ (fenders and lights etc. optional)

Probably hard to get one here (unless you import it yourself).
    They are also working on a carbon fiber version.

Bike
    2015 Triumph Tiger Explorer XC
    Spending $3-4K on something that some crackhead is going to steal is ridiculous in my opinion....I've got a run-of-the mill hybrid bike (under $1K) and I hate leaving it unattended even for a few minutes.
    "Let us cross over the river, and rest under the shade of the trees."
    ~Last words of Gen. Thomas Jonathan "Stonewall" Jackson

Bike
    ^ what he said...

I am still a fan of the ebike kits where you strap on a motorized wheel to your existing mountain bike, buy and connect your own batts and controller. You can customize the battery and power level to whatever capacity you like, instead of going for the stock system in purpose built bikes. Besides, none of them are designed to go faster than 32kph, which is insanely slow. I can human peddle faster than that. In fact I beat one on my road bike going down Ontario street one time.

Go for a Chrystalite, a Nine-Continents or even Wilderness Energy kits. Bionix and EZeebike are too expensive, IMHO.

Go for 48v 12ah LifePO4 batts if you want speed and distance per charge.

Registered User Array
    Bike
    $3000 isn't a lot of money for a quality bicycle. I got a DH bike at a discounted price for $4500. I've seen road bike CF frames only for $5000.

I've held a $10000 custom road bike, stunning piece of art too.

Dunno about e-bike's though....that shit is really heavy, if the battery cack's and you have to pedal it...your gonna be pissed.

How about a BMX Hack ?? Put your stuff in the Hack, pick up a Hooker ???

Yes I've been watching too much Mtv, Dyrdek Fantasy Factory..."Trust your pilot, respect your monkey"

If you think your cool enough: Check these Vids

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iZwK38A-1Mw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y7wI_44br6M

Bike
    I can definitely appreciate quality bicycles, if one is an aficionado or a competitor.....But to me, an e-bike is basic transport----Booger's suggestion makes more sense to me---of course, your mileage, as always, may vary.
    One solution I saw was a bike with electric motor and he had a deep cycle (I presume?) battery in the trailer...

Bike
    K5 GSX-R600
    What a waste... just get a bicycle.
    • He who dares not offend, cannot be honest.
    • The whole religious complexion of the modern world is due to the absence from Jerusalem of a lunatic asylum.

Registered User Array
    Bike
    Bottomless money muncher
    I've heard good things about Canadian made Gwev. They also will build custom ebikes for you.

I believe their main office/retail space is on Cambie.

Despite some conflicting opinions, I used to bike to work from Burnaby to Gastown everyday and our roads and bike paths are very friendly. There aren't too many hills to get from one point to another, but when there are hills, they can be quite steep. Some good gears and you're good though.

May I ask why you're considering an ebike and not just a regular one?

Let us know how you fare out.
    Ancora Imparo

Bike
    Maybe he's on the far side of 40, as I am?

Bike
    The GWEV guy is some character. He either likes you from the get go,or just totally ignores you and looks down on you if you ask him the wrong question. Like when I asked him about using lithium or nimh batts instead. He said SLA's are the best and you shouldn't look for anything else, blah blah blah. Why the heck would you want anything but SLA's, yada yada yada. After that, he was very condescending to me. He used to be on Main and 23rd when I dealt with him.

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by cuski View Post
    What a waste... just get a bicycle.
    yah, why don't you just get off that motorcycle and take the bus. Or better yet, just walk. Will do you some good.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay17 View Post

May I ask why you're considering an ebike and not just a regular one?
    Different strokes for different folks. Some people don't / can't afford to arrive at work smelling like hot stinky sweat, or can't arrive at work wearing spandex bicycle pants.

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by Booger View Post
    The GWEV guy is some character. He either likes you from the get go,or just totally ignores you and looks down on you if you ask him the wrong question. Like when I asked him about using lithium or nimh batts instead. He said SLA's are the best and you shouldn't look for anything else, blah blah blah. Why the heck would you want anything but SLA's, yada yada yada. After that, he was very condescending to me. He used to be on Main and 23rd when I dealt with him.
    Sort of the e-bike equivalent of Murray?

Bike
    Never did deal with Murray, but in all fairness, the GWEV guy is okay, so long as you don't rub him off the wrong way. I think he's ghey. (not that theres...... aw forget it. He's ghey). His prices are a bit high. YOu can certainly find kits cheaper elsewhere.

He let me test ride on of those tall bikes that have the 20 inch wheels on it. Man, I could have walked faster than that piece of crap.