bike puffing lot lots of white smoke upon startup
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: bike puffing lot lots of white smoke upon startup

Registered User Booger is on a distinguished road Booger's Avatar
    Bike

bike puffing lot lots of white smoke upon startup

When I start up my bike in the morning and after work, I get a lot of white smoke puffing out the exhaust. So much that when I am in the garage with the choke to full open waiting for the bike to warm up, the smoke is so bad it makes my eyes tear up and I can literally choke (no pun) to death with the fumes.

After about a minute or so, the smoke clears. This is also when I return the choke back to normal and then I can ride off.

Is this normal???

2. Remove Advertisements
    BCSportBikes.com
    Advertisements

backslider K-rod is on a distinguished road K-rod's Avatar
    Bike
    2006 K1200S
    what kind of bike is it, how old is it and how many miles on the engine?

Cat Herder nickridiculous is on a distinguished road nickridiculous's Avatar
    Bike
    1985 Gpz 550
    I ride nasty old motorcycles but yes this could be normal-ish.

Can you open the garage before warming it up? Also have you noticed any other changes in the apparent health of the motor? Increases full consumption, poor throttle response, new, strange noises etc.

I'm guessing with the increased humidity and cooler temps you're just noticing the water that is a normal product of combustion taking a bit longer to evaporate.

Three hour tour guide silverD is on a distinguished road silverD's Avatar
    Bike
    '08 Varadero
    White smoke is likely water vapor only, notice the white smoke coming out of car tailpipes lately in the now cooler weather..

Full choke will have it running so rich that for sure your eyes will tear up, don't run it in an enclosed space/garage..
    I'm not addicted! and I'm not quitting!!
    Heeere's your sign...

...and "always" look on the bright side of life...

Bike
    I have the garage door open of course.

Bike seems to be running no different, but I just got this bike recently. It's an older Suzuki Bandit.

Is this white smoke bad for the bike, or just normal? Temps aren't really that cold outside right now.

Swivel on it SkydiveSonic is on a distinguished road SkydiveSonic's Avatar
    Bike
    Chia
    Running an engine inside a garage ... GREAT idea.

White smoke = water. Either condensation that accumulated in the exhaust overnight, or a faulty gasket that's allowing coolant to be "burned" inside the combustion chambers.
    If you wanna say something, speak into the mic. It's right above my balls.

Registered User Steve G. is on a distinguished road Steve G.'s Avatar
    Bike
    ummm
    An older Suzuki Bandit, that's air cooled. So the smoke you are talking about is either: 1] simply condensation of the cold exhaust warming up, all vehicles do this at this time of year.
    2] Genuine engine oil burning up during startup. This condition can mean your valves seals are getting tired. They allow a small amount of oil to leak past into the cylinders as the bike sits. When you start it up, there's the white smoke.

Steve

no longer a hooligan holeshot is on a distinguished road holeshot's Avatar
    Bike
    2002 cbr 600 f4i
    Condensation from the cooler weather or if it has a sweet smell to it, it might be a headgasket leak and the anti-freeze is leaking into the cyclinders. only if it isn't aircooled.

Bike
    umhh, mine's liquid cooled.

come to think of it, I don't recall this happening when I first rode the bike when the weather was much warmer (ie 15 to 20 C)
    Last edited by Booger; 10-21-2009 at 05:22 PM.

West Koots, I'm here.... flyfishinwoman is on a distinguished road flyfishinwoman's Avatar
    Bike
    a few toys
    I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but older Bandits are air cooled, with an external oil cooler. No antifreeze. If the smoke has a slight bluish tinge to it, I'd say that some oil is pooling in the cylinder, sneaking by the valves or rings when it's cooling, then when things warm up the leaks are sealed by the metal expansion.
    Back in BC, yay!!!
    2010 Yamaha Vstar 950
    250 Saga Dual-sport
    AC quad
    BCSB #712
    WMRC #747 (2005)

Bike
    Mine's the baby bandit (400)

no longer a hooligan holeshot is on a distinguished road holeshot's Avatar
    Bike
    2002 cbr 600 f4i
    oil burns blue.

Eh Muh Gawd Becky!! Purplekawi is on a distinguished road Purplekawi's Avatar
    Bike
    somethin somethin somethin
    Cooler and more moist air creates substantially more condensation to accumulate inside a nice hot exhaust. Upon starting your bike on a cool morning, approx 10-20 secs after starting, it will heat the water to it's vapour point and create this white smoke you see. Your bike being in enriched mode for cool start up, it will be rich with unburnt fuel atoms which infused in the white smoke will def make your eyes water in an enclosed area. Back the bike outside before firing it up and all will be well.
    That that doesn't kill us forces us to live with a busted up bike!!

Registered User Steve G. is on a distinguished road Steve G.'s Avatar
    Bike
    ummm
    Quote Originally Posted by Booger View Post
    umhh, mine's liquid cooled.

come to think of it, I don't recall this happening when I first rode the bike when the weather was much warmer (ie 15 to 20 C)
    If it's liquid cooled, smell the smoke. If it has a sickly sweat smell, that's antifreeze. Head gasket's been compromized.

Steve

I like traffic cones :S made Man is on a distinguished road made Man's Avatar
    Bike
    rsv4r
    Should have seen the "smoke" after I let the bike sit all day outside on Saturday...
    "Honda = Boring, Suzuki = Wannabes, Yamaha = Poser, Ducati = Overated, BMW = Compensating, Aprilia = Insecure, Buell = BCIT business... go faKOffee." - PUREVIL

"im a wanker" -malamikigo

+ Reply to Thread