riding in the wind
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: riding in the wind

Bike
    SV650s street, Ninja 250r track

riding in the wind

I went riding tonight and my bike just had a hard time staying in a straight line. Forecast said there was 26km/h wind. It sure felt like I was being blown around by something more powerful than that. I recently adjusted my front & rear preload and the bike feels a lot more responsive now, but tonight it just felt so jerky. I don't know if it's the preload changes or the wind or perhaps a combination of the two. I changed from factory default of the SV650s from position 3 on front & rear to position 0 in the front, and position 6 in the rear.

Can anyone shun some light on this? Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    BCSportBikes.com
    Advertisements

Registered User Array
    Bike
    Wind: Squeeze the tank with your legs, relax your arms and let the bike move around if it needs to.

Suspension: Take it to Rod at RMR and get the bike set up for $50. I'm not an expert on suspension setup, but even I know that setting the front and rear of your vehicle to the utmost opposites of the suspension range never yields a nice-handling machine. That kind of tomfoolery is for autocrossers only and doesn't apply to things that travel above 60km/h

Bike
    2006 K1200S

wind blasts today ...

there was a low pressure front that moved in but then just hovered over the Straight for a while, which caused severe wind gusts for quite a while (probablky up to 60 km/hr) ...

so it wasn't just your imagination or suspension, it was real!!

Bike
    SV650s street, Ninja 250r track
    Regarding the the preload settings, the front suspension has a setting of 0-5, with 0 being the maximum preload. Rear suspension has a setting of 1-7, with 7 being the stiffest spring tension.

I don't think the settings are at the opposite ends of the spectrum. But I could be wrong. The numbers still confuse me.

BCSB Public Relations Array kerunt's Avatar
    Bike
    none
    Had some ridiculous wind gusts here in Port Moody tonight. Easily way more than 26km/h.

For riding in the wind, relax your arms, grip the tank with your knees, and move your body closer to the tank. Don't panic if you start getting blown off your line and adjust as necessary.
    "Yamaha" - it's Japanese for "fuck your sports car."

Bike
    FJarrrrrrr!
    Quote Originally Posted by Langosta View Post
    Regarding the the preload settings, the front suspension has a setting of 0-5, with 0 being the maximum preload. Rear suspension has a setting of 1-7, with 7 being the stiffest spring tension.

I don't think the settings are at the opposite ends of the spectrum. But I could be wrong. The numbers still confuse me.
    For wind, relax your grip, big time.

For suspension, see Rod @ RMR, $50 to set you straight.
    Quote Originally Posted by G Hats View Post
    A sore ass is better than a shredded back!

** BIKE NIGHTS 2013 **

This space for rent Array Stiffler's Mom's Avatar
    Bike
    2003 Yamaha R6
    Today was windy enough to bbbbllloooowwwww your house down. If you got blown around a lot today, it may have nothing to do with your suspension settings, and more to do with the fact that 500-600 lbs of stuff going quickly on two wheels simply gets moved around on windy days .
    - Dyslexics of the world, UNTIE!!

Bike
    '04 CBR F4i
    I love riding in the wind. My bike becomes a big sail. Gotta love those full ferrings.

Unfortunately, I have no advice on settings for suspension. I haven't caught much wind yet this year, but have in past years (the year those trees went down in Stanley Park was crazy... going across Alex Fraser during that.. whoah.. fun times ). For the most part, I remember having problems with cross winds and not so much the suspension. Especially bad are the gusts on the highway when switching from stretches that are sheltered from the wind (i.e. trees, houses, etc) to those flat farmland landscapes where the wind roams freely. The bridges too of course were fun. Oh and oddly turning onto a different street would often catch me off guard. This is in a situation where I had previously been protected by housing and then turning onto a street where the wind was blowing along.

The only advice I can give is just don't panic and try thinking ahead as to where those sneaky gust of wind might be lurking.

Ride (or perhaps in this case, sail) safely.
    Bikes don't leak oil, they mark their territory. ~Author Unknown

Black and red is the new blue!!

BCSB Public Relations Array kerunt's Avatar
    Bike
    none
    Quote Originally Posted by skiela View Post
    gotta love those full ferrings.
    fairings
    fairings
    fairings
    fairings
    fairings
    fairings
    fairings
    "Yamaha" - it's Japanese for "fuck your sports car."

Asian Persuasion Array dragnit02's Avatar
    Bike
    Pumpkin Orange
    can't do much when there is a lot of cross wind but try and stay relaxed and in your own lane
    So much work & so little time!!

Eh Muh Gawd Becky!! Array Purplekawi's Avatar
    Bike
    somethin somethin somethin
    This one time....at band camp.......whoops wrong thread!! Ummmmmm yeah the windy wind blows me...around!!
    That that doesn't kill us forces us to live with a busted up bike!!

Bike
    2005 Hondabago
    Nothing like riding a billboard down the road. The air is either going to be constant or gusty blowing you wherever it feels. Ride closer to the middle of the lane, expect gusts in breaks of traffic or barriers/trees on the side of the road, keep a constant grip on the bike without bring rigid or get fatigued.

If it's windy immediately switch your seat with a nice solid seat at the nearest starbucks.
    Look not for happiness around the corner. Happiness is the corner. IBA#42642

Bike
    CRF 230 BSA 650
    If the wind blows you towards the other lane... just act cool, put on the
    blinker... and make it look like you intended to do it.
    Long Live Shervin Of The North!

Bike
    FJarrrrrrr!
    Quote Originally Posted by bandito View Post
    If the wind blows you towards the other lane... just act cool, put on the
    blinker... and make it look like you intended to do it.
    Quote Originally Posted by G Hats View Post
    A sore ass is better than a shredded back!

** BIKE NIGHTS 2013 **

Registered User Array
    Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by kerunt View Post
    fairings
    fairings
    fairings
    fairings
    fairings
    fairings
    fairings
    Thank GOD it's not just me.....

You guy's think your dinky little bikes get blown around at 60km'h gust?

Puuuuuuulease......come to the island, facing the pacific in the winter storms up by Jordan River...

100km'h gust, branches flying across the road, using the whole road (no traffic out that day) with a KTM 950S, that shit is good clean fun !!!