Yamaha R6 or Kawasaki ZX6-R
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Yamaha R6 or Kawasaki ZX6-R

Bike
    zx6-r

Yamaha R6 or Kawasaki ZX6-R

Hey guys, I'm looking to buy a bike for next season, it's gonna be my first bike. I am looking to purchase either an R6 or a ZX6-R... just wondering about the opinions regarding the two bikes... it's also going to be my first bike....

2. Remove Advertisements
    BCSportBikes.com
    Advertisements

Swivel on it Array SkydiveSonic's Avatar
    Bike
    Chia
    Buy the bike that has the cheapest plastics to replace, cos chances are you WILL drop it at least a few times.
    If you wanna say something, speak into the mic. It's right above my balls.

BCSB Public Relations Array kerunt's Avatar
    Bike
    none
    They're both pretty underpowered. There's really no reason not to get an R1 in the first place. I mean, you're gonna outgrow both those tiny toys within a few months and wanna upgrade anyways, so don't waste money in the first place.
    "Yamaha" - it's Japanese for "fuck your sports car."

Swivel on it Array SkydiveSonic's Avatar
    Bike
    Chia
    That's bad advice dude. R1 as a first bike? Well, maybe if it has a turbo....
    If you wanna say something, speak into the mic. It's right above my balls.

Supporting Sponsor/Vendor Array GSXRKK6's Avatar
    Bike
    none :(
    What kind of bikes have you ridden? How much have you ridden?

Bike
    zx6-r
    did i come in here saying that i'm the best new rider out there and want the FASTER BIKER EVAARRRR? dont think so... so I dont see why Sky decided to be a dick... anyways, I've only ridden dirk bikes and atv's for a few years, never ridding a street bike

Registered User Array
    Bike
    2004 yamaha r6
    i had the same question earlier this year. but i was looking at the honda too. i ended up getting an r6 as my second bike, gs500 being the first. and i think the r6 its pretty good. i mean in the street its more than enough power, not like ur going 180 down cambie neways........ ive tried the zx6r and the extra bit of displacement makes a difference. but i would suggest the r6 cause im yamaha biased =D, but as mentioned above, chances of dropping ur first bike is pretty high >_>

Will wheelie 4 boobs! Array Jave's Avatar
    Bike
    06 R6... Redline: 27000000 bitches!
    I'm yamaha biased as well. Also, yami plastics are actually pretty cheap because they are smaller. The front fairing of most sportbikes are huge and make up for almost half the plastics, but that's not the case with r6's. When I dropped mine, the front side fairing was only 80$ to replace, as opposed to 300-400$ on other bikes.
    Danger 4 dinner... Sex 4 breakfast...

Supporting Sponsor/Vendor Array GSXRKK6's Avatar
    Bike
    none :(
    Try and find a first generation CBR600, an FZR600 or something similar and learn on it for the first season. They are fairly inexpensive and have plenty of performance. You will be in a better position to evaluate your needs after some time in the saddle.

Bike
    none
    Quote Originally Posted by xpl0sive View Post
    did i come in here saying that i'm the best new rider out there and want the FASTER BIKER EVAARRRR? dont think so... so I dont see why Sky decided to be a dick... anyways, I've only ridden dirk bikes and atv's for a few years, never ridding a street bike
    If you want real advice about the pros and cons of each bike, you need to compare specific years of both bikes, and explain where/how you'll be riding. Both bikes underwent huge changes over the last ~9 years.

Until then, stick to the Turbo R1 .

medicated 4 ur protection Array syncro's Avatar
    Bike
    RC51 & Blackbird
    my first bike was an fzr 600, and that was too much for a first bike imo. i rode it for about a year and then had to sell it. i just got a new bike this year, an 02 R6 and there is a huuuge diff between the two bike. i thought that with a bit of experience on the FZR that the step up to the R6 would be fine. i quickly found out how easy it is to get yourself into trouble with a bike like the R6.

i'm mature enough now to respect the bike and not act like an idiot out on the roads. i'm also mature enough to respect my own well being is of greater importance than having fun on the street.

my advice? if you want an R6/GSXR600 and can respect the bikes capabilities then it can be a bike that you'll be happy with for a while. either one is a great bike. if you want to have fun head out to the track days; between pitt meadows and mission there's enough to keep the right hand happy. you've got the advantage of riding dirt bikes, but that could also give you false confidence.
    *** every move should be calculated ***

Quote Originally Posted by sAdam View Post
    Most everyone on here is worth a laugh or has a good insight at one time or another, even syncro.

Bike
    zx6-r
    i'm looking at 06-07... looking to speand around $5-6k... don't want anything with more than 10km either... I have a yamaha raptor 700R, so i'm kinda yamaha biased as well... i found a 25 anni R6 that would match my quad, but its got 17km on it

Bike
    none
    i'm looking at 06-07... looking to speand around $5-6k... don't want anything with more than 10km either...
    The bikes will be pretty similar. The R6 will has more high-tech toys and is a more refined track/canyon-carving machine, but the ZX6R will have more usable power at lower RPMs and is arguably more comfortable.

don't want anything with more than 10km either...
    Get real dude. 10,000km is half a season of riding. http://www.r6-forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=101639

i found a 25 anni R6 that would match my quad, but its got 17km on it
    http://www.bcsportbikes.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=116665
    Last edited by kerunt; 11-17-2009 at 04:06 PM.

Bike
    zx6-r
    how does that thread help me?

Bike
    none
    how does that thread help me?
    It's about the same exact bike you're talking about.
    Last edited by kerunt; 11-17-2009 at 04:16 PM.