Another bad report card for humanity
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Another bad report card for humanity

Bike
    Blue 2008 R1

Another bad report card for humanity

The 2009 Corruption Perceptions Index – civilization’s report card looks bleak

Transparency International’s annual Corruption Perceptions Index (CPI) was released yesterday, the only realistic report card available each year on the governments of the world. The CPI measures domestic and public sector corruption and once again highlights how poorly most countries’ governments go about their business and how no region is immune to the perils of corruption, bribery, cartels and other practices which undermine competition and contribute to the diminution of resources. There’s some wonderful interactive visualization multimedia available on this subject which is well worth a look.
    The usual suspects headed the list of both the most and least corrupt countries, with the highest scorers in the 2009 CPI being New Zealand at 9.4 (out of 10), Denmark at 9.3, Singapore and Sweden at 9.2 and Switzerland at 9.0. These scores reflect political stability, long-established conflict of interest regulations and solid, functioning public institutions.
    Sadly, only 49 of the 180 countries in the 2009 index score five or better, indicating how loosely we use the term civilization. The CPI is a composite index and measures the perceived levels of public sector corruption in a given country, drawing on 13 different expert and business surveys.
    Fragile, unstable states that are scarred by war and ongoing conflict linger at the bottom of the index. These are: Somalia, with a score of 1.1, Afghanistan at 1.3, Myanmar at 1.4 and Sudan tied with Iraq at 1.5. These results demonstrate that countries which are perceived as the most corrupt are also those plagued by long-standing conflicts, which have torn apart their governance infrastructure.
    When essential institutions are weak or non-existent, corruption spirals out of control and the plundering of public resources feeds insecurity and impunity. Corruption also makes normal a seeping loss of trust in the very institutions and nascent governments charged with ensuring survival and stability.
    Countries at the bottom of the index cannot be shut out from development efforts. Instead, what the index points to is the need to strengthen their institutions. Investors and donors should be equally vigilant of their operations and as accountable for their own actions as they are in demanding transparency and accountability from beneficiary countries.
    Overall results in the 2009 index are of great concern because corruption continues to lurk where opacity rules, where institutions still need strengthening and where governments have not implemented anti-corruption legal frameworks.
    Even industrialized countries cannot be complacent: the supply of bribery and the facilitation of corruption often involve businesses based in their countries. Financial secrecy jurisdictions, linked to many countries that top the CPI, severely undermine efforts to tackle corruption and recover stolen assets.
    ©gizmag
    "Teach me to do it myself" Dr. Maria Montessori (1870-1952)

BCSB # 3.14159265358979323846264338327950288419716939937. ..

Bike
    2006 K1200S

Wow ...

- considering how things really are in Canada, and we're still so high up on this list, it makes one wonder how BAD things are in the lowest countries?

Bike
    2002 vfr800a 2003 duc ss1000ds
    Quote Originally Posted by K-rod View Post
    - considering how things really are in Canada, and we're still so high up on this list, it makes one wonder how BAD things are in the lowest countries?

dude, go travel. so many people in canada have NO IDEA what we have here, and how fucking privileged we are to be here.

i spent 2 months in papua new guinea(154/180) and it truly did change my life.

sure, it ain't somalia, but the value of life has a very, very different meaning in those places in the world.

Bike
    CBR600F4i SOLD!
    Quote Originally Posted by avocet View Post
    dude, go travel. so many people in canada have NO IDEA what we have here, and how fucking privileged we are to be here.

sure, it ain't somalia, but the value of life has a very, very different meaning in those places in the world.
    I'd have to agree ... we have issues but not like tons of other places in the world
    My Photo Gallery!

R.I.P. Danimal

Bike
    2006 K1200S

Fyi

Quote Originally Posted by avocet View Post

I've been to Cuba, Thailand, Vietnam, Mainland China, deep/dark Mexico, all over Europe, a bunch of the Carribean islands, Philipines, Malaysia ... seen some petty rough places/living conditions!

Bike
    '07 triumph 675 (Trashed)
    I've been to Cuba, Thailand, Vietnam, Mainland China, deep/dark Mexico, all over Europe, a bunch of the Carribean islands, Philipines, Malaysia ... seen some petty rough places/living conditions!
    Yeah ...I've been to Surrey ...........sorry Lars
    I can only surmise that the "2005" in your name is derived from your year of birth. You weren't born yesterday, but pretty damn close to it. - Howattzer to Phantom2005
    BCSB Ride Video links --- http://vimeo.com/search/videos/search:jafkaf/431febee

I like traffic cones :S Array made Man's Avatar
    Bike
    rsv4r
    I've been to Ottawa :P
    "Honda = Boring, Suzuki = Wannabes, Yamaha = Poser, Ducati = Overated, BMW = Compensating, Aprilia = Insecure, Buell = BCIT business... go faKOffee." - PUREVIL

Swivel on it Array SkydiveSonic's Avatar
    Bike
    Chia
    Surrey still wins out.
    If you wanna say something, speak into the mic. It's right above my balls.

Bike
    2006 K1200S
    Quote Originally Posted by Sky View Post
    Surrey still wins out.
    I only ride THROUGH Surrey wfo !!!

I like traffic cones :S Array made Man's Avatar
    Bike
    rsv4r
    Quote Originally Posted by Sky View Post
    Surrey still wins out.
    I disagree.

Corruption and theft in Ottawa is on a whole new level. Surrey boiiiiiis can only hope to achieve that level of profit margin
    "Honda = Boring, Suzuki = Wannabes, Yamaha = Poser, Ducati = Overated, BMW = Compensating, Aprilia = Insecure, Buell = BCIT business... go faKOffee." - PUREVIL

Fast Pack Slow Guy Array Tattoodles's Avatar
    Bike
    A privileged sufferer settling for an Italian motorcycle
    The older I get, the more I realize that absolutely everything and everybody on every level is corrupt.
    My bike is so much faster than yours that I dare you to ride it, you lame little turd. Do you have the balls to ride this BOTTOMLESS PIT OF TORQUE?

~Hunter S. Thompson

Registered User Array
    Bike
    H1D, KH400, KLR650, replacing liter bike with???
    Corruption is an accepted part of politics in a lot of the world and no one wants to change it because when they get a chance to get a bit of money by being corrupt they realize its their turn to gain by it so they take the money and shutup.
    My friend is vice president of Precision drilling, largest drilling (oil rigs) company in the world, they ceased operations and partnerships in India because of the graft at every level, but there are far fewer countries where graft and corruption are considered wrong rather than business as usual. We have lobbyist who throw a pretty face on it at a high level. Sometimes its just "helping friends"", shit, most people have a price I guess.

Swivel on it Array SkydiveSonic's Avatar
    Bike
    Chia
    most people have a price I guess.
    Nope. EVERYONE does.
    If you wanna say something, speak into the mic. It's right above my balls.

Bike
    2006 K1200S

the GREATEST DANGER facing Canada is ...

that pursuant to the hype about first world democratic capitalism being 'sold' to the world (by the elite and wealthy industrialists/political interests) because of this so-called "trickle down" effect (the idea that rampant business and industrial growth caused by over-consumption in our first world will have a corollary benefitial effect on even the lowest of the third world's peoples by giving them jobs - even if they do only pay ten dollars a month for slave labour - that they otherwise wouldn't have had) ...

has an opposite side to the SAME COIN (this reality is all dualisms), which is the reverse law that we in the 'free first world' will see those freedoms and securities eroding at an ever-increasing pace through what I call the "trickle-up effect" ...

Meaning that as our polticians and public burueaucrats travel abroad and 'see' how incredibly easy it is for their counterparts in other, less fair/controlled (corrupt) nations, to skim UNJUST REWARDS off the 'top' of the pile, they too will begin to 'employ' more and more unfair, unjust, underhanded and surreptitious methods in securing greater riches for themselves ... to wit the too many obvious cases reported about in the news recently !!!

... and they'll be able to justify it to themselves with no qualms whatsoever!

while the rest of us have to make do with the Canadaline.

(maybe THAT"S why Canada and the US are militarizing their police forces?)
    Last edited by K-rod; 11-18-2009 at 12:20 PM.

Registered User Array
    Bike
    H1D, KH400, KLR650, replacing liter bike with???
    that pursuant to the hype about first world democratic capitalism being 'sold' to the world (by the elite and wealthy industrialists/political interests) because of this so-called "trickle down" effect (the idea that rampant business and industrial growth caused by over-consumption in our first world will have a corollary benefitial effect on even the lowest of the third world's peoples by giving them jobs - even if they do only pay ten dollars a month for slave labour - that they otherwise wouldn't have had) ...

has an opposite side to the SAME COIN (this reality is all dualisms), which is the reverse law that we in the 'free first world' will see those freedoms and securities eroding at an ever-increasing pace through what I call the "trickle-up effect" ...

Meaning that as our polticians and public burueaucrats travel abroad and 'see' how incredibly easy it is for their counterparts in other, less fair/controlled (corrupt) nations, to skim UNJUST REWARDS off the 'top' of the pile, they too will begin to 'employ' more and more unfair, unjust, underhanded and surreptitious methods in securing greater riches for themselves ... to wit the CEO of BC Ferries and his million dollar a year package as head of a PUBLIC CORPORATION THAT DOESN"T HAVE TO COMPETE WITH ANY OTHER COMPANY/INTEREST IN A REAL MARKET SITUATION !!!

... and they'll be able to justify it to themselves with no qualms whatsoever!

while the rest of us have to make do with the Canadaline.

(maybe THAT"S why Canada and the US are militarizing their police forces?)
    So true, and not only are they getting a first hand look at it in other countries but we have more people from those countries getting into our politics, and this statement will probably raise the ire of some people, but the head of the business mens association in Canada , for one of these countries, you guess which one, said to the Province newspaper that payolla for the license to give a certain taxi company the right to operate at Vancouver International Airport, was "normal business practice" well it has not been normal here but unfortunately seems to be accepted by some here because thats how they do business in there county of origin. Now these people will say its not fair to say they are the ones who brought it here, but at least in this country those born and raised here know its wrong even if they do it. Not feeling that payolla is wrong is really the scary part.