U.S. journalist grilled at Canada border crossing
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: U.S. journalist grilled at Canada border crossing

Fast Pack Slow Guy Array Tattoodles's Avatar
    Bike
    A privileged sufferer settling for an Italian motorcycle

U.S. journalist grilled at Canada border crossing

Officials demanded to know what she would say publicly about 2010 Olympics

U.S. journalist Amy Goodman said she was stopped at a Canadian border crossing south of Vancouver on Wednesday and questioned for 90 minutes by authorities concerned she was coming to Canada to speak against the Olympics.

Goodman says Canadian Border Services Agency officials ultimately allowed her to enter Canada but returned her passport with a document demanding she leave the country within 48 hours.

Goodman, 52, known for her views opposing the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan, told CBC News on Thursday that Canadian border agents asked her repeatedly what subjects she would cover at scheduled speaking engagements in Vancouver and Victoria.

'You're saying you're not talking about the Olympics?'—Canadian border agent

Goodman said she told them she planned to speak about the debate over U.S. health care reform and the wars in Asia.

After much questioning, Goodman said the officials finally asked if she would be speaking about the 2010 Olympics.

"He made it clear by saying, 'What about the Olympics?'" said Goodman. "And I said, 'You mean when President Obama went to Copenhagen to push for the Olympics in Chicago?'"

"He said, 'No. I am talking about the Olympics here in 2010.' I said, 'Oh I hadn't thought of that,'" said Goodman.

"He said, 'You're saying you're not talking about the Olympics?'"

"He was clearly incredulous that I wasn't going to be talking about the Olympics. He didn't believe me," Goodman said.

The CBSA declined comment on the incident Thursday.
    Searched car, computer and notes

Goodman said her car was searched and the officials demanded to look at her notes and her computer.

Goodman is best known as the principal host of Democracy Now, a U.S. syndicated radio broadcast.

She was coming to Canada as part of a tour to promote a new book, Breaking The Sound Barrier.

"I am deeply concerned that as a journalist I would be flagged and that the concern – the major concern – was the content of my speech," said Goodman.

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/british-col...socialcomments
    My bike is so much faster than yours that I dare you to ride it, you lame little turd. Do you have the balls to ride this BOTTOMLESS PIT OF TORQUE?

~Hunter S. Thompson

Bike
    2006 K1200S
    wow. what country has this become, now?

Bike
    '07 triumph 675 (Trashed)
    Quote Originally Posted by K-rod View Post
    wow. what country has this become, now?
    It has become what the MAN tells you it has become ...........deal with it in silence or deal with it in Gitmo . Free speech a historical footnote
    I can only surmise that the "2005" in your name is derived from your year of birth. You weren't born yesterday, but pretty damn close to it. - Howattzer to Phantom2005
    BCSB Ride Video links --- http://vimeo.com/search/videos/search:jafkaf/431febee

Swivel on it Array SkydiveSonic's Avatar
    Bike
    Chia
    Freedom of speech disappeared ages ago, unless you have a few thousand people riding bikes in which case the authoritahs won't do shit cos you outnumber them 500/1.
    If you wanna say something, speak into the mic. It's right above my balls.

Bike
    2004 R1, 2005 DL1000 V-Strom
    Freedom of speech is an American term.

We get the freedom of "expression".

http://www.uottawa.ca/constitutional...xpression.html
    Reformatted to fit your screen.

Swivel on it Array SkydiveSonic's Avatar
    Bike
    Chia
    Quote Originally Posted by Mighty Kentor View Post

Last time I checked we're in America ...
    If you wanna say something, speak into the mic. It's right above my balls.

I like traffic cones :S Array made Man's Avatar
    Bike
    rsv4r
    Quote Originally Posted by Mighty Kentor View Post

Well, they made "Free Speech Zones" and not "Free Expression Zones"
    "Honda = Boring, Suzuki = Wannabes, Yamaha = Poser, Ducati = Overated, BMW = Compensating, Aprilia = Insecure, Buell = BCIT business... go faKOffee." - PUREVIL

Bike
    CBR600F4i SOLD!
    This type of questioning is nothing new. Given her aggresive nature and history I can see how she was flagged. Regardless, they let her in even though there were terms. Had things been opposite and she had been holding a Canadian passport trying enter the states, she may have not gained entry.

On a interesting note, she is good at what she does and has been known to get herself into bad situations. Had she not been a US citizen carrying a US passport - she likely wouldn't be alive today due to her aggresiveness in some countries.
    My Photo Gallery!

R.I.P. Danimal

Registered User Array takin namez's Avatar
    Bike
    gsxr 750
    she has a big mouth ,and people with more power than she has have the ability to shut it .Sour grapes if ya ask me .

Registered User Array
    Bike
    suzuki
    I just can't wait for an enlightened world government so all this nonsense will stop and we can all live in harmony.

That new bike smell Array mondocycle's Avatar
    Bike
    Multi
    Quote Originally Posted by Madman View Post
    This type of questioning is nothing new. Given her aggresive nature and history I can see how she was flagged. Regardless, they let her in even though there were terms. Had things been opposite and she had been holding a Canadian passport trying enter the states, she may have not gained entry.

On a interesting note, she is good at what she does and has been known to get herself into bad situations. Had she not been a US citizen carrying a US passport - she likely wouldn't be alive today due to her aggresiveness in some countries.
    Finally somebody who can recognize unNews.

Her agenda, HHHmmmm. Publicity? Her name in the news? Nah. Spin nothing into the smell of burning martyr. Got her a nice writeup on CBC and everything. Medium sized fish, small pond, slow news day, local yokels with tinfoil hats to eat it up.

Meanwhile elsewhere in this big, bad world, REAL human rights abuse found with a quick Google:

"In police stations in Pakistan, as in other countries in South Asia, the use of torture is routine procedure to extract confessions. Although prisoners have been known to be maimed or killed in custody, not one police official has been convicted."
    http://www.atimes.com/ind-pak/AL10Df02.html

Somewhat closer to the OP canadian story.
    Specific to a female abused at the border.(Thailand)
    http://www.akha.org/content/torture/thaitorture.html

The sky is falling. Paging K-nob......
    Log off and ride.
    Acta Virum Probant

Bike
    2006 K1200S
    Quote Originally Posted by bobkat View Post
    I just can't wait for an enlightened world government so all this nonsense will stop and we can all live in harmony.

man - whatever that schitt is that you're smokin' ... it must be good !!!

unless by "live in harmony" you mean we all wear communist green or blue fatigues and have only one choice of any political sort ... where everyone is 'equal' (except the leaders/rulers, who are much 'more' equal than everybody)

Bike
    2006 K1200S
    Quote Originally Posted by made Man View Post
    Well, they made "Free Speech Zones" and not "Free Expression Zones"

'Free speech' - means you can say anything you want/believe

'Free Expression' - means you can choose any gender identity and wear any sex's clothing styles or go in any bathroom (m or f/m) without repercussion

That new bike smell Array mondocycle's Avatar
    Bike
    Multi

"She was coming to Canada as part of a tour to promote a new book, Breaking The Sound Barrier."

Way to go Amy, mission accomplished.

Log off and ride.
    Acta Virum Probant

Bike
    ZX10r
    Quote Originally Posted by Madman View Post

In my opinion Canada Customs is MUCH worse than the US. The Americans are courteous, professional and do their job. The Canadians harrass, harangue and use Middle Ages techniques to try and make you feel like a criminal.