BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

Just bought my summer gear for next season.

2K views 22 replies 11 participants last post by  toyz80 
#1 ·
Hey i just bought this for this hot summer days next year were even my perforated leather jackets cook in anything but spirited rides out of town. Its called the troy lee supermoto speed jacket. Originally designed for supermoto riders that were constantly getting road rash from standard mx pressure suits during ash fault get offs.

Its built on a perforated leather chassis to protect from road rash with built in shoulder/elbow/chest/back armor. Unlike most jackets this armor will stay in place during a crash unlike most that shift and still expose you to hard pavement during a slide. I found this out first hand 3 summers ago when my textile elbow armor shifted instantly when i lowsided...allowing my elbow to smash the ground 6 or 7 times before i came to a stop.

The back protector doesn't look as good as a dedicated race model, but for street riding i think its a decent compromise, and it cant be any worse than that icon field armor that peeps are wearing more and more.

For those that might say a full leather suit is better i already own a joe rocket 2 piece suit and a teknic perforated jacket with sidi boots. I want this stuff for those really hot days in july when leathers are too freakin hot and i wont ride in dental floss...i mean mesh jackets. They just don't seem to offer adequate protection. anyways....discuss.

See less See more
#3 ·
Read my whole post. Its built around perforated leather. Traditional pressure suits are made with fishnet type mesh or lycra which offers no abrasion resistence at all. Im patiently waiting to get my hands on it and i'll know more. But i stumbled upon this product after watching a supermoto stunt guy doing intentional lowsides for the purpose of movie stunts while wearing this thing and it seemed to hold up nicely. Ill see if i can find the video again.

#8 ·
Looks cool, but I don't think I'd be comfortable wearing that while even riding on the highway. Whatever "type" of gear you have (mesh/textile/leather/whatever), if it's a proper fit then it won't be sliding anywhere during a crash. I'll stick to my leathers for now :).

#9 ·
Not true, textile/mesh jackets always have armor that moves around way too much, even with the adjustment straps. Leather is a little better but you gotta watch how it fits(like you said). I needed a back protector anyway as well as a better option for summer riding, so this seemed logical.
If you live in the lower mainland it never gets hot enough to worry about leathers/heat/cooking to death....but in the kelowna/vernon area it gets HOT HOT middle of summer like 35-38 degrees for weeks at a time with some 40 degree days.

In the van area id be shopping for more raingear than coolgear, lol:noevil

#11 ·
I have to wear a leather jacket on a hwy, no way am i gonig to wear mesh or anything like that on a hwy.

if i was goign ot catch a movie / short city ride during the hot times of summer, then yeah, that does seem better in protection than mesh.

#14 ·
I think that photo makes it look like it's full of huge holes when it's actually like a normal perforated leather jacket except the under-arms are all mesh.

This is a better photo.

But even my leather jacket has perforation on probably 70% of it and mesh sections to allow air in like this jacket does

#18 ·
If your in such a horrid accident that your proper fitting mesh jacket is shredded to nothing and the ammor is worn through due to the accident i think there would be a few more pressing issues than road rash, but thats just my opinion I have a mesh and leather jacket, riding leathers and riding jeans, and icon "ammor vest" and i just wear whats required based on type of ride i am doing. Personally you can only do so much protecting and most stuff isnt going to stop a broken spine or neck or shattered pelvis. thats my 75cents

#23 ·
Not what i said!I Figure out what type of riding(weather conditions etc) I am doing then choose my gear . NO gear is going to stop you from getting a broken back( except icon field ammor of course or doing lots low back rows at gym) when you hit a telephone pole. Gear is only going to do so much, the rest of it based on luck,type of accident, what you hit/what hits you. Basically this thread should just be comparing road rash protection and that's IT, as that's all most gear can protect you against Personally i don't need to wear gear i drink lots of milk so I very strong bones, and i moisturize daily so my skin has lots of give. I am sure this very very few instances where the coroner says " if had only worn a leather jacket instead of textile he would still be with us" that the same line of thinking as "if he would have only bought an shoei helmet then he would have made it"

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.