As a couple of you know, I decided to take another project on over
the winter - and build a bobber / lowrider... actually, what would be
correctly termed a "short chop", as a bobber would normally have
floorboards and fatbobs.
I started with a stock 1980 Yamaha XS650 donor I picked up for $1000.00
a couple weeks ago. It was a runner, that was all I was concerned with.
The look I am after is a lowered stance front and rear with low european
bars. I chose the XS as a donor bike because it has a 360 crank twin
that produces a nice exhaust note, like a British of it's day - but has a
much more robust engine. These motors are bombproof. Mine has 30k
on the ODO, and will be rebuilt to new spec.
I sampled a look by replacing the bars, putting some 10.5 shocks on the
back and removing the seat... to see what it looked like. I haven't got
around to lowering the front yet.
Having another look, with more parts stripped from the bike.
Good enough, and on to the teardown. The quicker you can get
it down to nuts and bolts, the sooner the project takes off.
I wonder what the other bikes think of their new stablemate?
Teardown in progress, removing all the electrics. Make sure you
label these as you remove them, for easier re-assembly months
later - and so many beers you can't remember what was what.
I label mine with shipping tags and zipties. Works well for me.
I learned the hard way with a previous job, and had to fumble
through the electrical pages of a Clymer manual for a few hours
just to see which plug was what.
And there you have it. Stripped of electrics, and motor removed.
This bike has a damanged shift shaft that needs to be replaced,
and I am contemplating a top end rebuild, valves and clutch while
it's all apart. Will have to see.
My impact driver had a nice workout today, I cursed a few F
bombs, nearly dropped the motor... and spent $60 on tools needed
to get the job to this point.
Next step will be some cutting/grinding to the frame to tidy some
bits up that aren't needed, and mount the rear fender and light
assembly I am working on. Then it will be teardown of the front
and dropping parts off for powdercoating.