BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

Who else rides to work in this cold??

3K views 57 replies 33 participants last post by  Tibarus 
#1 · (Edited)
Just wondering who else rides to work in this cold weather. live in Coquitlam. I live a block away from Lougheed highway, once i get on to that street tires stick great. then travel down it to around silver city area.
had to drop a few psi in the tires starting of the week so they would heat up quicker and have just lil bit more traction..
The street just out of my Cul-de-sac is shiny, so i go extra slow and take the corner very wide.

leave home around 8:20. anyone leave earlier than this?

Mods: feel free to move this, didnt want to overflow the main threads with another winter thread :roflmao

#7 ·
Me 2

Take it easy! Loosen your grip and relax your arms

On the slippery stuff (frost, ice etc) use your rear brake. Loosen your grip and relax your arms

Smooooth on all controls and Loosen your grip and relax your arms

The back end can and probably will move around a bit or even a lot. Slip your clutch and....Loosen your grip and relax your arms!

#11 ·
I ride to class most evenings out of the week to abbotsford and chilliwack and have yet to have too much of an issue beyond fears of losing my fingers to frost bite, but in all fairness, so far I've only been using summer gloves with little gloves underneath. I'm thinking about upgrading from a simple belaclava to a full on neck warmer as well, anything above 80 km/h and it feels like someone's slicing at me with little razorblades.

#23 ·
I was going to ride to work this morning, no frost on the ground compared to last week. If the air stays dry, i'll giver this week.

#24 ·
I ride from Commercial Drive to downtown every weekday. So far no squirrely tires, though it's only 5km on well-travelled streets.

I've stopped taking my Powell St/Waterfront Rd shortcut, though - I bailed on a frosty corner coming onto Alexander St on Christmas Eve two years ago, so I avoid that spot when possible :)

#26 ·
I commute everyday at 6:30 am from Vancouver to Delta via the Alex Fraser. Can be a little slick going over bridges / overpasses. On bike thermo read -4.5 this morning! Beatiful day though, I wanted to just keep going.

People I work with think I'm nuts.

#27 ·
Alpinestar SMX4 boots- warm and comfy.

Joe Rocket Meteor 5.0 jacket- warm-ish and comfy-ish.

Joe Rocket Alter Ego pants with w/r liner in, MEC thermal long john type thingies- warm-ish and comfy-ish.

Icon Alliance SSR helmet, Shoei chin curtain- warm and comfy.

Alpinestar Vega Drystar carbon gloves -fingers a bit chilly.

The jacket's neck size is too small so I can't do the snap up, leaving a bit of a gap for wind to get in. Also due to this, I can't fit a neck warmer of any real worth inside.

The outer pants are fine, but liner is non-breathable, so they leave a damp feeling after any lengthy ride. Liner also feels so cold, clammy and hideous on the bare skin, that long johns are required regardless of temperature, for either cold or rainy weather. Area above knees feel a bit chilly but ok.

The gloves are definately waterproof and not too bulky, but the lack of insulation is the drawback for having more control feel.

I am a complete lazy idiot for not yet installing my Dualstar ATV heated grip elements yet!

Ironically, because it's too cold and dark to work on my bike outside in the backyard/alley:p

Last year, between the ice fog, sleeting ice storms and snowfalls, I skittered around a lot on mega frost and black ice at 6:30 am!

Only one moment so far this year, when a lady for some utterly unfathomable reason, nailed her brakes at the bottom of a steep frost covered hill, while I was 1/2 way down it. Having both my front and rear tires locked up and gaining speed towards a basically stationary car was...interesting. lol.

#28 ·
i want to see if i can get a class 6 test before the snow hits... do i have to show up there iwth a supervisor for them to test me? i wanna do it during the day, and all of my friends with class 6's would be at work... also, do i have to do the skills test before i do my road test?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.