First Wipe Out!
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: First Wipe Out!

Bike
    Honda CBR "SEXY" Edition

Question First Wipe Out!

Well i finally had my first bail on my bike yesterday. Basically had another rider cut into my lane as I had wheel slightly turned and I gave it a bit too much front brake I guess( roads were somewhat slick and my bike was on a painted lane control arrow at the time), Then bike then went into some sorta speed wobble at about 70km or so which put my feet off the pegs as bike wobbled and dragged me down the road i tried to climb back onto bike by pulling myself up with handle bars, and i am guess i pulled to hard on right handle which turned the bike and instantly dropped it to the ground. I remember sliding down the road and hearing the helmet scrape on the pavement and i could see my bike spinning down the road. Anyways I got a bruise and sore hand but other than that I was all good due to proper gear (helmet, gloves, leather jacket, riding jeans) and thankful other that minor scrape on low side of bike it was good also due to FRAME sliders(highly recommend by me now lol). My question is has anyone else every had the front of bike speed wobble and if so how did you get out of it?

2. Remove Advertisements
    BCSportBikes.com
    Advertisements

I like traffic cones :S Array made Man's Avatar
    Bike
    rsv4r
    sounds like a giant douche was also out for a ride today.
    "Honda = Boring, Suzuki = Wannabes, Yamaha = Poser, Ducati = Overated, BMW = Compensating, Aprilia = Insecure, Buell = BCIT business... go faKOffee." - PUREVIL

Bike
    2015 FZ07
    Glad to hear you came out of it ok.
    The dreaded "tank slapper" is the result of forces building up and releasing that neither you nor the bike can control.
    Luck (or lack of it) plays a huge part in staying aboard and not crashing.
    I'm sure others with much more experience than I will offer good suggestions on how best to cope with it.

Registered User Array
    Bike
    Steering Damper is your best hope. Doesn't always end so good though. Mine initiated from a pot hole.

Registered User Array 125cbr rider's Avatar
    Bike
    2014 Honda CB500X
    i've had pretty nasty speed wobbles. never had a steering damper.
    what works for me is laying off the gas and relaxing your arms. dont touch the front brakes. feather the back brakes if its that bad. and continue to look where you want the bike to go. stay calm

eventually it will work its self out

Bike
    FJarrrrrrr!
    Ya, had a slapper this past season that scared the shit out of me (with a damper) too....got lucky and recovered....really really lucky actually.

Loosening your grip immediately can help.

I have "heard" that a major whack of power, enough to yank the front wheel off the ground, could also stop it, but I think the skill, power and speed to make that happen in a panic situation are above most of us mortals.

A steering damper can really save your bacon, it saved me from crashing, as I know without it, the slapper would have been way too violent to recover.

But, in the case of Pee Wee's crash, sometimes the laws of physics are simply to difficult to combat.
    Quote Originally Posted by G Hats View Post
    A sore ass is better than a shredded back!

** BIKE NIGHTS 2013 **

Bike
    if u do get a tank slaper and ride it out don't forget to pump the front break back up as the force can push the pistions back into the calipar
    Curent Ride
    08 Husky smr450
    kx 450f
    You are 100% Pure Awesome!

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by 1dn5up View Post
    if u do get a tank slaper and ride it out don't forget to pump the front break back up as the force can push the pistions back into the calipar

Exactly,
    That's what happened to Simoncelli in Valencia,
    tank slapper in one corner, no brakes in the next, he wiped out.
    R.I.P #48 Shoya Tomizawa (December 10, 1990 – September 5, 2010)
    R.I.P. #58 Marco Simoncelli (January 20, 1987 – October 23, 2011)

Bike
    FJarrrrrrr!
    Good info, I had no idea....hope not to have to use the learnings though.

** BIKE NIGHTS 2013 **

Bike
    CRF 230 BSA 650
    If you are going to ride on the street in December, when it's -5 at night,
    you might want to consider buying a bike with ABS.

And be more aware of your surroundings, since this error caused you
    to have to panic and brake... and could have ended in your death
    rather than just a few bumps and bruises.
    Long Live Shervin Of The North!

Ridin hard n dirty Array Mr.Sushi ya ha's Avatar
    Bike
    bunch "o" bikes
    There are 2 kinds of this, The first is a low speed slapper when the bars just start to shake....if you catch it you can easily save it by rear brake and transfer your weight back...If it happens more than once in a season then look at your steering head bearings for being loose, suspension is getting soft, or tire pressure is low...if all that is good and it still does it then add compression and preload to the forks and maybe a little rebound...Steering Dampers work well on this. The bike is doing the ol' shopping cart wheel wobble.

The other kind is very violent when the wobble is through the whole frame and happens at high speeds. You see this kind on tv at the races, or when someone comes down from a high speed wheelie...Basically clench your asshole and hang on while trying to get on the rear brake....in most cases it happens so fast it eventually chucks you ....
    Steering dampers might work but the bike is occilating through the frame and tires..
    Remembering Bill Mclean.
    Having had a colonoscopy......I have now seen where the sun don't shine......(Me)
    Cancer Sucks!!!

Doesn't register Array Mutate Now!'s Avatar
    "Focus on the journey, not the destination. Joy is found not in finishing an activity but in doing it.”
    Bike
    It runs...
    I've experienced two low speed wobbles, both under acceleration. Both times, the front end was unloaded just enough so that when it encountered an undulation in the road, it was enough to initiate an oscillation of the bars.

Luck and instinct(?) put me harder on the throttle, getting the wheel off the ground so it would stop yawing back and forth. I think, had I tried braking or putting more weight/input on the bars, I would very likely have ended up getting flipped off the bike and into a world of hurt.

I've never experienced a high speed wobble, and hope I never do.

This post is simply the opinion of the poster and is not to be construed as instructions or advice. Your mileage may vary.
    I rode Deal's Gap / The Dragon in September 2007 and I visited Yellowstone in August 2010. Where have you been?

Bike
    CRF 230 BSA 650
    For 99.9% of people, including everyone on BCSB, adding throttle and
    increasing speed is NOT a good idea.

The idea of getting on the gas and leaning off the back to deal with
    a slapper comes from motocross... where the bike is very light and
    the front wheel off the ground lots of the time anyways.

You need to retain a firm grip on the bars and get to the front brake.

Then you need to clean your underpants and take your bike to a decent
    shop for inspection.
    Long Live Shervin Of The North!

Bike
    FJarrrrrrr!
    I agree, I had just heard it, in practice, I would never have attempted it.

Mine was pretty fast, highway speeds, and I was VERY close to crashing, went into oncoming lane, etc.

To be honest, it happens so damn fast, all I could do was loosen my grip and let off the throttle, and ride it out. It may have been 3-4 seconds long, but felt like an eternity.

I have doubt, both my bike & myself would have been in rough shape without a steering damper.

** BIKE NIGHTS 2013 **

es ist orange und bellt Array barking pumpkin's Avatar
    Bike
    2004 KTM 540SM
    Way back...once apon a time in Westwood Land I was on my warm up hot lap for a Formula 2 race, I forgot to turn on my steering dampner on my Sukuki RG 500 and went over Deers Leap at the speed of light...when my tires touched back down to mother earth the Gamma shook like a sheep dog in the rain! My hands and feet came off the bars and pegs and rode the bike down to turn #4 like a kid surfing a skate board on his belly. I was VERY lucky that day and didn't go down.....but my leathers never did smell right afterwards.
    The Cult of Motard.

Just say NO to fairings!