Dirt Bike Advice

Thread: Dirt Bike Advice

Registered User Array
    Bike
    '05 FZ6

Dirt Bike Advice

After about a 10 year break from dirt and trials riding, I'm looking at getting back into it so as humbling as it is, I'd say I'm a beginner at this point. A family friend has a line on two bikes that would be a good deal, but not sure if they'd be the right fit. Anyone have any thoughts on these, or other suggestions I may consider? (I am looking for a decent trail bike that can give me a little air time here and there. I'm 6'1 and 200lbs.)

Honda CRF230F
    Yamaha TTR230

Happy New Years!

2. Remove Advertisements
    BCSportBikes.com
    Advertisements

Bike
    A black one
    DRZ400E if you just want a dirt bike or an S model if you want a dual purpose. Its a much better bike than either of those two. More power, better suspension, better components, a lot more aftermarket parts available for it and it responds very well to performance mods when you want to go that route.
    If you`ve allready got riding experience all those long lost skills will come back to you quickly and I think you`ll get tired of the other two bikes pretty quick, they`re decent bikes but theres not much to them.
    Last edited by arcrz; 01-01-2010 at 12:47 PM.
    Hug a two stroke....you`ll never go back to trees.

Bike
    2004 CRF450
    You're too big and heavy for either of those bikes. Sure they'll haul your ass around, but you have some experience and will outgrow them very quickly.

The DRZ is a very good choice. I would add an XR400 or an older 125 two stroke to your list to check out.

Registered User Array
    Bike
    '05 FZ6
    Appreciate the quick feedback guys. Basically confirms what I thought in that I'd quickly outgrow these bikes. Now back to the classifieds....

Cheers

Registered User Array stinkyfast's Avatar
    Bike
    CT70
    The bikes you mentioned are too small, look at craigslist and pick up an older 250 2-stroke. You'll get tired of a 125 real fast. Also look for one with all the woods riding upgrades done already. I assume your not going to be racing at a track. Another benefit of buying an older bike is you can get tons of really cheap parts off e-bay. Just my 2 cents. Good luck

damn broken leg!!!!!!! Array gixxer_76's Avatar
    Bike
    2007 KX250 Ripper!!!!
    250 2-stroke. Wise choice.
    Just like a twig, your leg will snap if you smash it into a wall with a 400 Lb bike @ 100+ Km/h. So just don't do it!

http://www.saveonwheelrepair.com

Bike
    2005 CBR 600RR
    XR 400 , DR 400 as dirt bikes holly shit have any of you ridden off road other than dirt roads.
    Unfortunatelt gix76 is right . 250 2 stroke is so nice in the bush and easy to ride when set up properly

Come by the shop and test out my my Husky WR 250 its beautiful woods machine we also have a kx 250 2004 with an 18" rear and flywheel weight