Left turn with red light that won't change
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Left turn with red light that won't change

I loves doin Woolies! Array Big Green Meany's Avatar
    Bike
    --n/a--

Left turn with red light that won't change

I just came from court and had to plead guilty. I feel it was entrapment. I want to know what is the legal thing to do when your at a left turn with its own red light, and the sensor doesn't work and the light docent change. What is the legal procedure? Any move you make is illegal. I know there are safer than others, but i want to know what is legal.
    SUPERMOTO HOOLIGAN...BRAAAP!

2. Remove Advertisements
    BCSportBikes.com
    Advertisements

Squirt! Array
    Bike
    2002 Monster
    Turn right and go 'round the block.

Registered User Array
    Bike
    Lean an old tire against the pole in question....fill the tire up with gas and light it.

The city will be by tomorrow to repair the faulty light.....simple.

Bike
    2008 Beemer (touring)
    I actually will put my stand down because most of those sensors are trying to pick up some metal. Usually it works.

Sorry about the ticket though... I feel your pain.
    Taking It to the Track

WMRC Racer #911 (retired)
    PCMRC Racer #911 (retired)

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthSquid View Post
    Turn right and go 'round the block.
    That is still illegal as you would have to cross the solid white line between the turn lane and the other lanes.
    R.I.P #48 Shoya Tomizawa (December 10, 1990 – September 5, 2010)
    R.I.P. #58 Marco Simoncelli (January 20, 1987 – October 23, 2011)

Formerly kanelupis Array CanaganD's Avatar
    Bike
    K1300R
    The sensors are actually large coils of wire (which is why most sensors look like they have a circular tar snake). The coil of wire is there to detect the slightest of magnetic signals generated by your rotating wheels or the natural magnetic field of the chassis.

To enhance the chances of being detected on one of those sensors, just attach a reasonably strong magnet to your front forks and it'll work wonders.

check this place out. No shipping whatsoever and you get 100

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.13518

However, if the light really is broken... there doesn't seem to be a way out... I guess the lesser of the evils here is to back up and go to your straight through lane.

LEO Array
    Bike
    Kawi
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Green Meany View Post
    I just came from court and had to plead guilty. I feel it was entrapment. I want to know what is the legal thing to do when your at a left turn with its own red light, and the sensor doesn't work and the light docent change. What is the legal procedure? Any move you make is illegal. I know there are safer than others, but i want to know what is legal.
    It's hardly entrapment..

But what to do?

1) attempt to reposition to "get the sensor" - I try and stick to the outsides - or use the kick stand down on the "circle".
    2) If it still not working for you - and you have waited for 5 minutes at the light - then you could proceed. Because you are allowed to proceed at a malfunctioning light. If caught, you might still be issued a VT. To dispute - you would have to argue at court specifics - times, positioning, attempts to rectify.
    3) If you are on a 2 lane roadway - then make right turns, or continue straight.

All-weather biker. Array
    Bike
    F4

How to Activate the Signal Light

Quote Originally Posted by kanelupis View Post
    The sensors are actually large coils of wire (which is why most sensors look like they have a circular tar snake). The coil of wire is there to detect the slightest of magnetic signals generated by your rotating wheels or the natural magnetic field of the chassis.
    Partially true.

The loop on the ground is a coil with it's own magnetic field. The sensor picks up the change in the magnetic field of the loop of wire caused by a metal object entering into the loop. The bigger the object the bigger effect on the field. A motorcycle is normally large enough but the sensors are adjusted for sensitivity and can sometimes go out of whack. If you were positioned within the loop and it still didn't work after a suitable amount of time, (some can be quite long) then phone it in to the local traffic department for repair.

One suggestion that I've heard is to put your bike right on top of one line making up the loop (as opposed to being in the middle of the loop). The theory is that the field is stronger there so your bike will have the most effect. I've been doing that and I haven't had a light that doesn't trip for many years.

Attaching a magnet is useless and is bogus science perpetrated by fraudulent internet retailers. Don't fall for it.

hanging out at timmies Array
    Bike
    a suzisomething
    do what harley does(they never have a problem with traffic lights)
    hang a big cast iron lump in the
    frame. that will have a huge effect
    on the magnetic feild.

All-weather biker. Array
    Bike
    F4
    Quote Originally Posted by rawdonflyer View Post
    do what harley does(they never have a problem with traffic lights)
    hang a big cast iron lump in the
    frame. that will have a huge effect
    on the magnetic feild.
    A plate sized belt buckle, chains, rings, brass knuckles, an iron helmet with a spike on top...that might help too.

I loves doin Woolies! Array Big Green Meany's Avatar
    Bike
    --n/a--
    Quote Originally Posted by AskACop View Post
    It's hardly entrapment..

But what to do?

1) attempt to reposition to "get the sensor" - I try and stick to the outsides - or use the kick stand down on the "circle".
    2) If it still not working for you - and you have waited for 5 minutes at the light - then you could proceed. Because you are allowed to proceed at a malfunctioning light. If caught, you might still be issued a VT. To dispute - you would have to argue at court specifics - times, positioning, attempts to rectify.
    3) If you are on a 2 lane roadway - then make right turns, or continue straight.
    I did that, went thru. its ilegal... the problem is theres no legal way out once your there. i spoke to the cop and told him my issue. i told the "women" judge. and basically unless you call a cop to help you.. you break the law no matter what you do. i will send a letter to the superintendent of icbc and ask him what he thinks and maybe remove my points due to the nature of the offense.
    SUPERMOTO HOOLIGAN...BRAAAP!

Bike
    2009 GSX-R750
    I always thought these were weight sensitive markers. My personal habit is if it wont change with just me on it, I'll move as far over and forward as I can to let the car behind me creep onto the spot and trigger it.

West Koots, I'm here.... Array flyfishinwoman's Avatar
    Bike
    a few toys
    Quote Originally Posted by Bikerider View Post
    Partially true.

The loop on the ground is a coil with it's own magnetic field. The sensor picks up the change in the magnetic field of the loop of wire caused by a metal object entering into the loop. The bigger the object the bigger effect on the field. A motorcycle is normally large enough but the sensors are adjusted for sensitivity and can sometimes go out of whack. If you were positioned within the loop and it still didn't work after a suitable amount of time, (some can be quite long) then phone it in to the local traffic department for repair.

One suggestion that I've heard is to put your bike right on top of one line making up the loop (as opposed to being in the middle of the loop). The theory is that the field is stronger there so your bike will have the most effect. I've been doing that and I haven't had a light that doesn't trip for many years.

Attaching a magnet is useless and is bogus science perpetrated by fraudulent internet retailers. Don't fall for it.
    Quite correct. I worked on traffic signals for years as an electrician, and your explanation of their sensor functions is spot-on. If placing my bike on the corner of the loop doesn't work, then I roll it back and forth over the corner, most of the time this will help but not always. The sensor "sensitivity" can be set up to detect even a bicycle, so a phone call to the municipality should get someone out to adjust it.
    Last edited by flyfishinwoman; 01-12-2010 at 03:09 PM.
    Back in BC, yay!!!
    2010 Yamaha Vstar 950
    250 Saga Dual-sport
    AC quad
    BCSB #712
    WMRC #747 (2005)

Bike
    Yanagisawa
    There's a bicycle detecting loop in Burnaby, on Armstrong at Cariboo.
    It works !
    Well weathered leather, hot metal and oil, the scent of country air ....
    Sunlight on chrome, the blur of the landscape, every nerve aware .. !!

Addict Array
    Bike
    2000 Honda VFR
    Plead not guilty and use the colour of right defence.