Speeding ticket in the rain
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Speeding ticket in the rain

Bike
    zx6-r

Speeding ticket in the rain

so i'm driving to work this morning, going west on king edward in vancouver. A guy jumps out into my lane from a side street and says i was doing 75 and shows me the reading on the radar. comes back 5 mins later with a $138 ticket for speeding in a municipality. now my problem is that it was raining really hard this morning. I was in the right lane, with a school bus next to me in the left lane. I was going the same speed as the bus... i really dont know exactly how fast i was going, but it was not 75 thats for sure. maybe 55. now i seem to remember that radars are not very effective in the rain. i'm not sure if it was a laser gun that he was using or a regular radar gun.... maybe its the lasers that dont work very well in the rain. anyways, i also read that radars need a reflective surface for the beam to come back to them, and the police usually use a license plate on the front of a vehicle. now my car does not have a front plate. the cop didnt give me a ticket for it. would the radar still be effective if using the headlights or something for a reflective surface? anyways, i feel that i should dispute this ticket, since the conditions were less than perfect for a radar speed trap, and i dont think i was going 75km/h... should i bring up all my points in court like the poor weather conditions at the time, not having a front plate and all that? or would it make my case even worse? the judge would say that i was speeding in the rain therefore making it more dangerous and irresponsible? i really dont care about the fine. It's the points that i cant have....

2. Remove Advertisements
    BCSportBikes.com
    Advertisements

Registered User Array noodling12's Avatar
    Bike
    '00 SV650S
    well, it's illegal to drive without a front license plate so you can scratch that idea out...

it would be on you to prove you weren't doing 75, or find out what reading device he used or prove that heavy rain, as in this morning can affect the readings of either device..

Bike
    zx6-r
    how would i find out what device was used?

Bike
    '00 SV650S
    i think rain may only affect the effective distance they can use the radar / laser gun but it's still accurate i think...

BCSB Public Relations Array kerunt's Avatar
    Bike
    none
    Quote Originally Posted by xpl0sive View Post
    so i'm driving to work this morning, going west on king edward in vancouver. A guy jumps out into my lane from a side street and says i was doing 75 and shows me the reading on the radar. comes back 5 mins later with a $138 ticket for speeding in a municipality. now my problem is that it was raining really hard this morning. I was in the right lane, with a school bus next to me in the left lane. I was going the same speed as the bus... i really dont know exactly how fast i was going, but it was not 75 thats for sure. maybe 55. now i seem to remember that radars are not very effective in the rain. i'm not sure if it was a laser gun that he was using or a regular radar gun.... maybe its the lasers that dont work very well in the rain. anyways, i also read that radars need a reflective surface for the beam to come back to them, and the police usually use a license plate on the front of a vehicle. now my car does not have a front plate. the cop didnt give me a ticket for it. would the radar still be effective if using the headlights or something for a reflective surface? anyways, i feel that i should dispute this ticket, since the conditions were less than perfect for a radar speed trap, and i dont think i was going 75km/h... should i bring up all my points in court like the poor weather conditions at the time, not having a front plate and all that? or would it make my case even worse? the judge would say that i was speeding in the rain therefore making it more dangerous and irresponsible? i really dont care about the fine. It's the points that i cant have....
    You have next to no chances of getting that ticket thrown out.

Quote Originally Posted by noodling12 View Post
    well, it's illegal to drive without a front license plate so you can scratch that idea out...
    Actually I think it IS legal to not have a front plate in BC. I know you must have one if you go to Alberta though. Not 100% sure on this...
    "Yamaha" - it's Japanese for "fuck your sports car."

Bike
    '00 SV650S
    i think you should fight it on the basis of driving in a safe manner (i.e. with flow of traffic).. even though it IS speeding...

or hope the cop doesn't show up... maybe bring him some timmy hoes and see if he lets u go.. haha

Bike
    '00 SV650S
    Quote Originally Posted by kerunt View Post

Actually I think it IS legal to not have a front plate in BC. I know you must have one if you go to Alberta though. Not 100% sure on this...
    rly ? i thought albertans didn't need a front license plate.. cuz all my buddies from Alberta don't have front ones..

Eh Muh Gawd Becky!! Array Purplekawi's Avatar
    Bike
    somethin somethin somethin
    It is illegal not to display a front plate. They also aim laser at headlights not the plate.
    That that doesn't kill us forces us to live with a busted up bike!!

Bike
    zx6-r

ya it's illegal not to have a plate in BC. it's legal in Alberta, you've got the two confused

BCSB Public Relations Array kerunt's Avatar
    Bike
    none
    Hmm, I am 100% sure I was told the exact opposite a number of years ago. Perhaps that person was wrong or things changed... either way, I stand corrected .
    "Yamaha" - it's Japanese for "fuck your sports car."

Bike
    CRF 230 BSA 650
    Fight the ticket and prepare a defense if you really believe you
    weren't speeding.

Why are you so concerned about 3 points?
    Long Live Shervin Of The North!

Bike
    zx6-r
    because i'm currently on probation... just got my license back in october.

This space for rent Array Stiffler's Mom's Avatar
    Bike
    2003 Yamaha R6
    That could be bad. Good luck. At least you know now that buses will go as fast as you used to drive.
    - Dyslexics of the world, UNTIE!!

Eh Muh Gawd Becky!! Array Purplekawi's Avatar
    Bike
    somethin somethin somethin
    Quote Originally Posted by xpl0sive View Post
    how would i find out what device was used?
    Submit a form to the court for "disclosure". It will also give you the particulars of what the officer has jotted down as far as notes on the event.
    That that doesn't kill us forces us to live with a busted up bike!!

Bike
    2002 yzf 600r
    Hmm, I am 100% sure I was told the exact opposite a number of years ago. Perhaps that person was wrong or things changed... either way, I stand corrected .
    You do stand corrected, I do know some guys get a sticker of their plate done so they don't have to drill holes into their bumpers and can mount the plate/sticker where they like.
    This Is Going To Hurt A Little Bit