Axle sliders.

Thread: Axle sliders.

Registered User Array
    Bike

Axle sliders.

Got this 08 DRZ with those factory white plastic sliders.

Took the wheel off to repair a flat tire (3" nail), pathetic looking little 6mm bolt going into the axle. I could almost break them off with my hand.

Any suggestions to beef that shit up, head to the skate board shop for wheels, and grabs some stainless redirod ? El cheapo style?

I've seen the ones that fit like the chain adjusters, anodized colors slip over the axles and the slider parts is just behind the axle. Anyone use and abuse them?

Anyone local sell em? Like In stock now.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BCSportBikes.com
    Advertisements

Bike
    Zx6 07, Crf 450r, Yz250f
    Quote Originally Posted by Pee Wee View Post
    Got this 08 DRZ with those factory white plastic sliders.

Took the wheel off to repair a flat tire (3" nail), pathetic looking little 6mm bolt going into the axle. I could almost break them off with my hand.

Any suggestions to beef that shit up, head to the skate board shop for wheels, and grabs some stainless redirod ? El cheapo style?

I've seen the ones that fit like the chain adjusters, anodized colors slip over the axles and the slider parts is just behind the axle. Anyone use and abuse them?

Anyone local sell em? Like In stock now.
    I believe it's supposed to go through your, axle not be your axle, thats the way it is on my bike.

Registered User Array dammyneckhurts's Avatar
    Bike
    GSXR 750
    I have the one shown in the picture, I got them from http://www.supermotoengineering.com

I have used and abused them, they have been on my bike for 3 crashes so far.

They got a bit scuffed in two of the crashes but were still perfectly functional....in the third the derlin slider was torn off the rear slider. Bent the bolt...slider was MIA. Was a bit of a nasty crash though....considering what the rest of the bike looked like I hold no grudge against the slider.

When I bought the kit I ordered it with spare pucks...cheap, easy...nice to have them on hand.

Only snag with them is that using the factory alignment marks for aligning the rear axle is almost impossible. They have a little hole in the rear axle block you are supposed to look through but it's useless...I use measurments instead. Maybe the location of the marks is different on your DRZ that would make it easier.

I would buy them again though.

Addicted to two wheels Array rscudiver's Avatar
    Bike
    Kawasaki ZRX1200R
    Those white ones on the DRZ are more cosmetic than anything else. I have a set of SMEs on my RMZ and they stand up to some serious abuse. I got them from WAR motorsports 604-751-0770 or www.warmotorsports.com I believe they're $99 for the DRZ
    The bolts go right through the axels and also stop the axel nuts from coming lose or getting destroyed in a crash.

Bike
    KTM 990R ADV, KTM 450SM, KTM 450 SX,KTM 300XC and other :)
    Yeah the SME slider kits are more than worth the money. I think it was $12 or something US to buy an extra 4 delrin sliders for the kit.

I ordered them a year ago from the states before I knew Greg at War Motorsports not only sold them, but also stocked them.

Greg also really supports the Supermoto community in many ways so I have to get a good plug in for a great local retailer/supporter/racer.

Registered User Array
    Bike
    Talked to a few locals who have em yesterday....said shit, just go el cheapo.

So today after a little rip popped into 360 Board Shop....they sell off used Skate wheels. Buddy hooked me up with a freebie, brand new wheels, one had the center offset wrong, couldn't sell em.

Popped into Rona, picked up 3' of 1/4 redi rod stainless, 4 nut and washers for $14.

Took me all of 15 min to measure and cut the rod, drop some loctite on them ends, snug up the nuts, drink a cold one.....done.

Addicted to two wheels Array rscudiver's Avatar
    Bike
    Kawasaki ZRX1200R
    Quote Originally Posted by Pee Wee View Post
    Talked to a few locals who have em yesterday....said shit, just go el cheapo.

So today after a little rip popped into 360 Board Shop....they sell off used Skate wheels. Buddy hooked me up with a freebie, brand new wheels, one had the center offset wrong, couldn't sell em.

Popped into Rona, picked up 3' of 1/4 redi rod stainless, 4 nut and washers for $14.

Took me all of 15 min to measure and cut the rod, drop some loctite on them ends, snug up the nuts, drink a cold one.....done.
    Heehee been there done that. Just one word of caution from a guy who's had a 'Few' crashes and highsides. Although those 'Look good' they are not meant to slide....they are meant to grip. So, if you plan on racing, don't be surprised when your bike flips and cart wheels behind you after a crash.

Registered User Array
    Bike
    Doubt I'll be racing this bike. Won't be doing much but commuting and ripping around town. Got all of 2010 to get back to 100% and hit the gym all year. 2011 I may look at a dedacated race bike if we have some tracks to hit up.

If I do lowside or something...it's gonna be pretty slow speeds.

Ahhhhh FAACCKK! - Rossi Array JustinF's Avatar
    Bike
    DRZ SM!
    From my personal experiance lowsiding a DRZ (I probably have more then anyone else locally) I would say you should hollow out the inside of the wheels till they fit snug over the axle bolts or you will surely regret it if you do lowside, as the rod will bend; promise. 2 of them are snug looking, 2 of them are sticking off too much. I replaced mine with the SME ones after about 20 low sides and tons of trouble.
    There are those who have, and those who will, but not those who won't.