BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

I talked a Mountie out of a ticket today

2K views 20 replies 9 participants last post by  Bison 
#1 ·
Northbound on 176th heading for Hwy 1 I attracted the attention of a Surrey marked cruiser. I figured out pretty quickly that he wanted me and he finally pulled me over just onto Hwy 1 westbound.

Seems he didn't like my headlight modulator. I told him it was legal etc. and he asked if it was factory equipment, which of course it wasn't. I told him I had a copy of the pertinent section of the MVA somewhere on my bike and would find it for him.

It took me a minute but it was under my seat, under the stock tool kit. I walked over to the cruiser and gave it to him. He questioned it as he didn't know what section section 5.6 of the Technical Standards Document No. 108, Motor Vehicle Safety Regulations referred to. He wasn't sure if he was going to believe me or not, so he said he would issue a Notice and Order. I told him I thought that was a mean thing to do as it would cost me $100 to have my bike inspected. I told him I'd rather have the VT for flashing my headlights so I could beat it in court.

He said thanks for the info and would I please wait by my bike.

He came back a minute later without the Notice and Order or VT. Said he'd decided not to do either and wished me a safe ride.

So, here's my question. Are there any documents I could produce that would make his decision easier?

Now I'm off to buy lottery tickets!

See less See more
#4 ·
Oh yeah, I know all about attitude. I was being very friendly and co-operative. I can go from zero to asshole in about 1.5 seconds if I need to though. :laughing

#3 ·
As long as you advise the police officer to refer to Division 4.05(8) of the Motor Vehicle Act regulations, you should be good. Remember there is a lot of laws and acts to learn as a Cop, we don`t know them all when new.

If issued a notice and order or VT for modulator, you can always call to the office to speak with the head of traffic services regarding your vt or notice and order, and they can pull your ticket.

Ps - Good Work by the way..

#5 ·
Thanks. That is the section I had printed out and showed him. I was just looking at the appropriate Technical Standards Document 108 and it seems they have changed it. 5.6 is now [Reserved], whatever that means. 7.9.4 is the appropriate reference now so I see.

I edited the document that I carry to cover the changes and add the 7.9.4 section. If I could figure out where to host it I'd link it here for anyone interested.

#7 ·
Well, if I told him to contact Bison I'm sure he would have MHA'd me instead. However, no paper was exchanged so I don't know who he was, and quite frankly, I'm glad it ended that way!

#8 ·
Tell him to PM me if he wishes. A real Radar Pig ( like me) would know section 4 of the Regs where they are mentioned.

Headlamps
4.05 (1) A motor vehicle must be equipped with either one or 2 headlamps mounted on each side of the front of the vehicle and capable of displaying white light.

(8) A motorcycle may be equipped with modulating headlamps if the headlamps comply with section 5.6 of the Technical Standards Document No. 108, Motor Vehicle Safety Regulations (Canada).

#9 ·
Locksmith, I know this is the US DOT documentation for those regulations, but they are the same regs it looks like with Canada. Just scroll all the way down the PDF document for the regs that we have here at Signal Dynamics if you would like to have that printed out (has the Standard No. 108 and S7.9.4 regulations which I believe are the same in Canada):

http://66.252.233.21/products/DiamondStar/DiamondStar_Instructions.PDF

#10 ·
Thanks, but that wouldn't fly here. If anything they'd think I was trying to "buffalo" them into something.

Up here the Mounties have the reputation of always ticketing for something. If you get stopped, its pretty much guaranteed you're getting paper. The fact that I didn't is a testament to two things.
1- The Mountie was less than 50% sure he was right (amazing in itself).
2- I'm a stickler for legality myself. I used my turn signal when I pulled to the side of the road. I had it on just after the lights and before the siren and they were almost simultaneous. That alone should have told the cop I was watching him.

#11 ·
I believe that few GD Members would be familiar with the headluight modulators unless they actually ride themselves. Also not all Traffic Services Members are aware, although they should as there is an ICBC bulletin on them in which they say that "modulation, by definition, is NOT flashing". If you do get stopped by Police for a legal headlight modulator then suggesting that they look at the above section might save some grief. I printed up several copies of the TS 108 and 4.05(8) and attached a copy of ther ICBC bulletin, which I used to hand out to my riding students in case they were ever stopped...and some were. If you do get a VT then contacting their office with as copy of the Regs may help in having them drop the charges, specially if it goes to the supervisor.

#13 · (Edited)
There is a T shirt that Motorcops.com sells that says it all..."even other Cops are scared of Motorcops". The other modest examples include.."God made some Cops perfect, the others He put in cars". Oh lord it's hard to be humble, when you're perfect in every way....old Country classic by Mac Davis. :)

Oh Lord it's hard to be humble
When you're perfect in every way.
I can't wait to look in the mirror

'cos I get better looking each day
To know me is to love me

I must be a hell of a man.
O Lord it's hard to be humble
But I'm doing the best that I can.

You know what a Motorcop rides around the block past a beautiful woman, the SECOND time?...so she can get a better look at him! :)

#17 ·
Cpl at Deas Island, Brian... last name start with an 'F' ? If that's who I think it is... small world, cuz he used to be on the same ball team when I was a kid, same high school, etc. Saw him on TV news at the site of an MVA recently, and let's just say he's bigger than he was in his youth.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.