2010 Bimota Db8

Thread: 2010 Bimota Db8

Bike
    2009 Ninja 250R

2010 Bimota Db8

MCN has got the exclusive story on the new Bimota DB8 and so we managed to find that despite rumors regarding the great possibility for the Italian firm to launch a Ducati Streetfighter/Aprilia Tuono competitor, meaning a dual-seat, 1200cc entry-level naked, the new bike will actually be a veritable superbike that offers the possibility to take your wife or girlfriend along for the ride, as Bimota spokesman Anna Carla Cuneo says: “Bimota customers are used to being surprised with new and innovative motorcycles offering unique design, good power and light weight – and many of them also have a wife or girlfriend that would like to come along. We are sure this design will be a big success.”

Bimota hopes to sell 250 such motorcycles for $33,057 (€23,000) while still producing their DB7 model, which starts at $37,369 (€26,000). It may sound like much for the average superbike buyer, but it is what Bimota considers ‘entry level’, so I guess we weren’t too far off after all.

Built around the same consecrate oval section CroMo hybrid chassis now linked to a aluminum subframe and featuring also Marocchi and Extreme Tech suspension front and rear, it is easy to see how building costs have been reduced, but we should also mention that the DB7’s carbon fiber fairing has been replaced with a cheaper, plastic one.

At least we’re satisfied by the fact that engineers made no concession in the engine department. As a result, the 1198 testastretta evoluzione, 4v twin cylinder 90° develops no less than 170 HP at 9.750 rpm and 131.4 Nm at 8.000 rpm. That’s even more impressive in relation to the 392.4 lbs (178 kg) weight of the bike. This means even more engine performance that the Bimota DB7 for less money. I believe we’re starting to understand the whole affordability thing.
    Engine and Transmission

Ducati 1198 testastretta evoluzione, 4v twin cylinder 90°
    Displacement: 1198,4 cc
    Cooling System: liquid cooling
    Compression Ratio: 12,7±0,5:1
    Maximum Power: 170 CV (125 kW) @ 9750 giri/min
    Maximum Torque: 13,4 kgm - 131,4 Nm @ 8000 giri/min
    Exhaust System: 2 in 1 in 1, stainless steel
    Chassis and Dimensions

Frame: welded 39NiCrMo4 tubing and machined 6082 aluminium alloy plates
    Wheelbase: 1435 mm
    Front Suspension: Marzocchi USD forks DLC fully adjustable
    Rear Suspension: Extreme Tech Monoshock fully adjustable
    Fuel Tank: 16 litres (4 litres reserve)
    Total Weight: 178kg
    Steering Angle: 25°
    Seat Height: 800 mm
    Overall Length: 2100 mm
    Overall Width: 700 mm
    Overall Height: 1115 mm
    Ground clearance: 135 mm
    Front Brake: Double 320mm Brembo floating disc, 4-pistons radial Brembo callipers, radial pumps
    Rear brake: 220mm floating disc, 2-piston Brembo calliper
    Front Tire: 120/70 ZR 17 Dunlop Sportmax GP Racer
    Rear Tire: 190/55 ZR 17 Dunlop Sportmax GP Racer
    Source: http://www.topspeed.com/motorcycles/...8-ar65336.html
    2009 Ninja 250R

2. Remove Advertisements
    BCSportBikes.com
    Advertisements

Bike
    2009 Ninja 250R
    It's nice but on first glance it looks very similiar to the Db7. I'd rather have the Db7 if I had a choice .

I remember having this conversation before but can anyone confirm the reason with me again why Bimotas cannot be brought over into Canada (not that I could afford one). Someone mentioned that they can be brought over if they're taken apart and then put back together and then registered as a U-Build. That seems counterintuitive...

-Sorry for the double post but the original was too big.
    2009 Ninja 250R

Squirt! Array
    Bike
    2002 Monster
    It's not on the RIV admissable list and it hasn't been approved for use by the government on our roads. With most of these exotics it's not necessarily that they don't meet the standards, but that the manufacturers can't be bothered to get the testing done for such a small market. Buying a bike where legal, disassembling the bike, importing it as parts, then rebuilding it and registering it as a ubuild has been the 'work-around' some guys have used. Not only is it legally questionable, it makes your $40,000 superbike effectively worth $0. You also have no warranty or service support.

It's a pain in the ass when you wanna buy an MV Augusta, but I'm glad it keeps crap like this off our roads.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5kQGAK550LE

Bike
    BMW R1200GSA
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthSquid View Post
    It's not on the RIV admissable list and it hasn't been approved for use by the government on our roads. With most of these exotics it's not necessarily that they don't meet the standards, but that the manufacturers can't be bothered to get the testing done for such a small market. Buying a bike where legal, disassembling the bike, importing it as parts, then rebuilding it and registering it as a ubuild has been the 'work-around' some guys have used. Not only is it legally questionable, it makes your $40,000 superbike effectively worth $0. You also have no warranty or service support.

It's a pain in the ass when you wanna buy an MV Augusta, but I'm glad it keeps crap like this off our roads.

Hahahaha!!! Only 64km/h and that much damage? Great job China....

Kind of to bad we can't get exotics like that in Canada, something like a Vyrus would be something to look at on the road. Guess we will all have to wait.

Bike
    2009 Ninja 250R
    +1 - thanks for the response Darth Squid!

That Vyrus looks like a blatant copy of the Bimota Tesi 3d (o.0). From pictures alone I would have to go Tesi 3d > Vyrus

Vyrus

Tesi 3d
    2009 Ninja 250R

You'd be surprised Array G Hats's Avatar
    Bike
    2007 KTM Superduke 990
    although I really like Carbon Fibre, sometimes I find too much carbon fibre to be ugly. I don't think carbon fibre (or at least the appearance of it) should be the most predominant material on a vehicle - bike or car.

That new bike smell Array mondocycle's Avatar
    Bike
    Multi
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthSquid View Post

Holy sheepdip!
    The entire car is the "crumple zone."
    Log off and ride.
    Acta Virum Probant

Bike
    BMW R1200GSA
    I believe Bimota makes the frames for Vyrus but minor tweaks here and there. I'd be scared of crashing on that... snap a steering rod... or destroy something.
    Quote Originally Posted by mondocycle View Post
    Holy sheepdip!
    The entire car is the "crumple zone."
    Well... at least you can see the engine block and read the fine print before you die. =)

Ik ben een piloot. Array Altimeter's Avatar
    Bike
    1993 Suzuki RF600
    Neat video of Vyrus being built (jump to 1:05 for the actual build).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3i0lYDSSW-c&feature=fvw
    Two wheels on the ground.
    Two wings in the air.

To torque or not? Array CaribooBC's Avatar
    Bike
    94 Ducati 900 SS CR, 86 NS400R and 98 R1100S
    I believe the designer of the Vyrus used to design bikes for Bimota.
    86 Honda NS400R Bone stock, 94 Ducati 900 SS CR Hot Rod, 98 BMW R1100S The Bagger.

Registered User Array
    Bike
    2008 zx10r
    Quote Originally Posted by G Hats View Post
    although I really like Carbon Fibre, sometimes I find too much carbon fibre to be ugly. I don't think carbon fibre (or at least the appearance of it) should be the most predominant material on a vehicle - bike or car.
    you'll absolutely hate my bike then lol.