Re-wiring for licence plate light - quick queries

Thread: Re-wiring for licence plate light - quick queries

Registered User Array

Re-wiring for licence plate light - quick queries

Hey guys. Hope a newbie can seek your expertise.

I bought a 2008 Ninja ZX 6R a few months ago - and the previous owner added a fender eliminator with licence plate light (see pics).

But given it's position, the previous owner said he got pulled over a few times by cops saying the licence is not in a visible place. So I bought another licence bracket and plan to move the licence plate to directly under the tail light so I won't get hassled.

So I need to have a licence plate light as well. I could just pipe all the wiring from its current position to the tail, but given it is an undertail exhaust, I didn't want to cause the wire to melt and also I checked the Kawi manual.

Looks like I can just hook up a parallel circuit from the tail light wiring to the licence plate light (parallel circuit from the R and BK/Y wires to the taillight).

So, my question is....for the tail light - what is the blue wire for? I noticed that the Kawi dealership that did the fender eliminator for the previous owner left a pretty long blue wire left over (it hanging out from the tail light in the pic). Is this meant for hooking up a licence plate light in series? It would much easier to hook up the licence plate via series with this long blue wire, than hacking apart the R and BK/Y wires.

Any other easier ways of wiring a licence plate light (and while I am modestly technically minded, I am no mechanic)? Thanks guys!

2. Remove Advertisements

Registered User Array beemerandy's Avatar
    09-K1300S-77 r 100 rs
    Trick question? Three wires one is a tail light ,one is a brake light and one is a ground. Spend $20 and buy your self a multi meter.

Lowside King Array guy_likewhoa's Avatar
    2007 Candy Red R6
    how about routing the wire the way the manufacturer did it? there must be wiring for a plate light from before the fender was removed....use that?