BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

Picking a New Bike!

6K views 63 replies 25 participants last post by  Wallybanger 
#1 ·
OK, so for the longest time I have been looking for a Honda CB900F (919 Hornet). I'm now in a position to buy a new bike (about a $5000 budget) and I'm having second thoughts... the only reason for the second thoughts is really the scarcity of the 919. Unfortunately the Euro markets get all the cool bikes and we get all of the garbage :banghead

So I'm just wondering if there is a good alternative to the 919? Here is what I'm looking for:

Aggressive/Cool street fighter design
Comfortable riding position
LOTS of power (and I'm a seasoned rider so I don't need any mom comments thanks) (unless you want to comment on the powerband or accel/decel smoothness)
EFI!! <- NO CARBS! I friggen HATE carbs.

Thats about it. As far as I'm concerned the 919 met all of my criteria but the scarcity issue bothers me. I wouldn't mind a later model but the best I can find at the moment is a 2002. I've done a lot of reading but I'm also open to opinions on the 919

Type of riding will mostly be ripping around town with the odd 4hr ride here and there.

thoughts? Comments?

Thanks

See less See more
#5 ·
Yeah, that's not a bad looking bike. The stock exhaust is absolutely hideous and the headlight needs some attention but I could see that working.

That a cable clutch though? I thought most of the new bike came with Hydraulic clutches....

I've seen some really cool naked Suzukis

#8 ·
:laughing:rockon

You absolutely read my mind. I have been reading about the FZ1 for the last hour after stumbling across pictures on google. After watching some videos, looking at lots of pics and reading reviews I think it's the bike for me! Especially since I think I should be able to get an '06-'07 for about $5000 :)

I have ALWAYS liked the looks of the new Yamaha sport bikes. The R1 is enough to give a guy a boner.

#12 ·
traditionally many of the euro-style naked/streetfighter bikes also have V-twins instead of inline 4. this is not the case with the honda919 or the FZ1 or Z1000. But, the Suzuki SV1000 is a v-twin, and most of the european manufacturers are v-twins (aprillia shiver, ducati monster, etc). but... the euro bikes are also likely more than $5K. check out the naked SV1000 though...

#13 ·
If you're thinking bad ass street fighter, I don't think that's synonymous with a 919. They're boring engines, not much character from what I've read.

If you like inline 4's, go for the Kawi Z1000. If you find an '03 - '06 model year, they don't hold their value well. With aftermarket pipes they sound great, have lots of character (they're vibey though ;) ) and look pretty cool in my opinion. I'm biased tho :)

#31 ·
Was too curious, had to speak to the seller myself. East Indian guy who does not appear to sound too knowledgeable about bikes, sounds sketchy to me.

The Story:

Bought it off a guy in Nanaimo 2 years ago.....says he's only ridden it for maybe 3mos, in the last 2 years, put about 3000-4000kms on it.

When asked why he didn't ride it much, said it was just a toy this, for the odd bit of riding.

So, out 3000-4000 over 3mos, doing the odd day, then never ridden again??? WTF?

Said he last insured it last summer.

Has not done any maintenance, other than oil changes

I question this, as he would really only have needed one change with that little of riding....again, sounds sketchy.

Said the only damage is the tank, where someone "keyed" it.

Told me that people come to look at it, then they leave and don't call back....hmm, wonder why?

I'm guessing the lack of history, the lack of confidence, most likely just not a really clean well looked after bike, and the part about owning it for so long, but not only not RIDING it, but not even insuring it for 75% of the time he's had it.

Call me a skeptic, but as I said, there's a reason it's not sold, and there's a reason it's priced low.......those are but a few, in a 5 min chat on the phone.

#33 ·
I dunno... maybe it is shady or maybe he's on the level. I'll find out when I see the bike in person. Can't hurt to go look. If it passes my mechanical look over, and a shop look over, that's good enough for me. He emailed me some more pictures and the bike looks good. Just hope it's not stolen! Then again, are crooks really that stupid? :D

#40 ·
#42 ·
Yeah, both of those bikes look good. Both fuel injected I'm assuming...? The only thing is that it would be nice to have a newer bike just so I know I'm not going to experience any problems and cut down on the number of previous owners.

I do want a naked/streetfighter but I have to admit, I like the idea of the half fairing on the FZ1 to cut down on the wind for comfortable riding.
So Wallybanger......did you check out that FZ1? If so, thoughts, feedback?
No, not yet. Just deposited a $7000 certified cheque today and I'm not planning on heading to Van until next week (I like in Kelowna). That FZ1 at the chop shop is gone by the looks of things so I'm gonna have to continue to keep my eyes open. I've only really been watching Craigslist so I may have to start digging deeper into the classifieds to find what I want.

When I go down there I will probably check out that FZ1 in surrey, but as mentioned earlier, I'll probably steer clear of it.

If you guys see any deals pop up in the next few weeks please lemme know :)

And I'm still open to bike suggestions :thumbup

#43 ·
Just talked to the guy with that streetfighter. Seems like a nice guy. I'm going to try to make it to Vic to look it over.

Here's a question though... what is the wind going to be like on that thing? I've done kelowna-vancouver on my cafe bike at 160-170 and I didn't find it too draining but I'm not sure what to expect from that unit.

#44 ·
+1 on the inclination towards the FZ1.

I've owned many, many bikes over the years and first test on the FZ1 was like 'click' this is perfect. I've owned sophisticated BMWs with all the fancy do-dadery, Ducatis that pee espresso all over your leg, R1s, GSXRs, you name it and no other bike is as versatile and just generally usable as the FZ1.

I got mine set up for heavy touring duty.

#51 ·
That's a nice looking bike. Like that it's 1st owner and only 6200km. Price is a little out of my range though. I would consider going as high as $7K after all is said and done with taxes but I doubt he'd drop his price that low.
I dunno... not bad but I think it's a tough sell. I'm trying to find specs now.

#54 ·
#59 ·
I took a look at that FZ1 at "The Chop Shop" the other day and took it for a test ride. It has a lot of cosmetic defects, including a small dent in the tank but otherwise it looks mechanically sound. I'm wondering if there is a catch though.... I actually offered the guy $5500 for it and he turned me down so I had no problem walking away.

My brother said he got a bad vibe.

I've found a few nice Honda 919s in the US so when I go down I'll have a handfull of bikes to look at.
Here is one down south, little more than you wanted to spend.
http://klamath.craigslist.org/mcy/1636006666.html

5500 FIRM YOU WILL NOT FIND A NICER FZ-1 ANYWHERE ! YEP OWNED BY BIG TERRY

541-891-4415 HAS EXHAUST - AND MANY OTHER UPGRADES 2,612 EASY MILES

http://images.craigslist.org/3k53oa3p65Tc5Pe5R1a391b403c6ef7ee1166.jpg

Or here

2006 Yamaha FZ1 - $5500 (Edgewood)
http://seattle.craigslist.org/tac/mcy/1667034745.html
AAhhhhh, didn't find the FZ-1 because the guy put the dash in the title. That is actually very reasonable but it's a little further than I want to drive.

I've been talking to the guy who owns the red one quite a bit and I'm going down to meet him at the end of the week
something from KTM?
$$$$$$$$$$$ and not really anything I like.
A Buell !
Yeah, I like a few of their bikes but I dunno....
I liked the 919 myself but if you want comfort and sporty buy an R1 or GSXR1000,929,ect. and stick a handle bar kit on it.Turning a standard or naked bike into a sport bike is way more expensive than making a sport bike comfortable and there always seem to be good sport bikes for a decent price.Best of luck to you.........
That sounds like reasonable advice.
Stick to the original plan. 919 does not lack in the sporty department (well you may want to get progressive springs for the front).
I had a 929 and it was only fun at illegal speeds.
Give it couple of weeks and few 919s are gonna turn up on CL
Thanks for the feedback. I think I'm leaning back that way again. I do far more around town riding than I do long road trips. Yeah, I've read that the 919 suspension needs improvement but that it's not horrible. I'm looking at an '03 and an '07 and I believe Honda switched to adjustable suspension after a few years.

What year is yours?

#57 ·
I liked the 919 myself but if you want comfort and sporty buy an R1 or GSXR1000,929,ect. and stick a handle bar kit on it.Turning a standard or naked bike into a sport bike is way more expensive than making a sport bike comfortable and there always seem to be good sport bikes for a decent price.Best of luck to you.........

#58 ·
Stick to the original plan. 919 does not lack in the sporty department (well you may want to get progressive springs for the front).
I had a 929 and it was only fun at illegal speeds.
Give it couple of weeks and few 919s are gonna turn up on CL

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.