Super Bike Race Today
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Super Bike Race Today

Bike
    SV650

Super Bike Race Today

Great racing today on Speed Channel. I know all the hype about the new BMW 1000 but while they are doing pretty well for first timers racing at that level they still have a long way to go. Aprilia is the bike to beat with the old guard Suzuki, Yamaha, Ducati and Honda racing at the front. Looks to me if you really want to ride the fastest bike out there its not the BMW, at least not for awhile.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BCSportBikes.com
    Advertisements

Bike
    Rosalita Azul
    Quote Originally Posted by carla View Post
    Great racing today on Speed Channel.

Looks to me if you really want to ride the fastest bike out there its not the BMW, at least not for awhile.

So it seems you're new to the WSBK scene so in laymans terms - what they ride compared to what Joe Blow rides off the showroom floor isn't the same - or even close.

The BWM you'd buy is MUCH faster/stronger than the Aprilia and every other literbike. Aprilia's SBK Team just does a better job of making their bikes faster in race trim than BMW has to date.

Racing today was okay but it sure was weird without Haga, Fabrizio, Spies, or Toseland up there - I wouldn't have guessed that before the weekend started.

Poor RLH though, languishing at the very back of the grid can't be fun.

Bike
    T4 - GSXR750 #23
    good racing.. go Ape go!!!

Bike
    SV650
    I understand that these bikes are not stock but it just seems to me that BMW has a long way to go to piss with the big dogs. There is also no doubt that anyone of the other manufactures could deliver a bike that would easily match BMW street bikes if that is what they wanted to do because obviously they can do it and that in fact might happen. Having said that BMW is doing quite well for a new player. I enjoyed the racing today

Bike
    IRSU magnet
    There is a lot of discussion here about the bikes, but the biggest factor in the race is the hunk of meat between the seat and the handlebars.

For example: After honda refused to acknowledge the superior riding talent of a certain flamboyant Italian rider and insisted it was their bikes that were winning all the races, he gave them the one finger salute and took a marginalized bike that hadn't been on the podium in 12 years and won the top prize in the most prestigious two wheeled race in the world for three years in a row. Must have been the bike.

Rossi used his experience to exploit the strengths and minimize the weaknesses of the bike and gave honda a very bitter pill to swallow right down to this day.

No trees were harmed to display the above message ..... however a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced

return of the Kneedragger Array warp9racing's Avatar
    Bike
    07 zx6r
    -aprilla has yrs of racing experience/numerous championsips and has brought biaggi together with his old crew which has been working magic for them since last season...
    -as for bmw...corser's and old dog and xaus (though i personally like him) is done too...
    -i picked haga and rea in my pool how dissapointing!!
    -yes poor rlh. in the first race at the light it looks like he delayed his start for a second...not sure if his bike is that SLOW or he just didnt want to get in the way...PB kawi should have had someone waiting in the wings (HACKER!).

-i've been watching ama and although the big names are gone, its WAY better then last yr!!
    07 Monster Kawaski zx6r -"Dorothy"

Akra-PCIII-CW-CA-KR-Puig-Galfer-Vortex-HID-AMA Monster SS Rep-jumper-pazzo-Bstones-techspec-attack-gpr-drive systems

Berik-Shark-Astars-Sidi-Icon-Teknic-UnderAmour

Registered User Array Fanny Bay R1's Avatar
    Bike
    06 Yamaha R1, 01 Dookie 996
    It was great racing and Biaggi and Haslam are riding really well!! I was also pretty impressed with Cal Crutchlow in only his second weekend in WSBK getting a podium and pole, he'll be winning some races before this season is over. Man the factory Ducs getting their asses handed to them by privateers -- not good - the boys in Bologna will not be happy.

I echo the comments on comparing these bikes to those in your showroom as there is a couple of $100K difference and in particular how Corser/Xaus race the bike has nothing to do with what a great package BMW has put in the showroom.
    Cheers!!
    Andy
    06 Yamaha R1 (50th Anniversary) - R1's forever!!
    Georgeous Ducati 996 (the only bike as pretty as my R1!!)

Bike
    SV650
    No Question the rider pays a key role, so what does that say about BMW's choices

Bike
    Daytona 675
    Crutchlow is looking pretty hot, he'll do well. I just red a short article on him in Bike magazine and he sounds like a pretty straight shooter. Doesn't beat around the bush and isn't into the usual meaningless drivel answers yet.
    I'm looking forward to watching him over the season. Too bad he had an off in the first race. I was pretty surprised how far off the pace Haga and his teammate were.
    Should be a good season with a number of potential winners.
    AMA superbike was pretty good to watch too. I may go back and watch them again this year.
    “Calling upon my years of experience, I froze at the controls.”
    – Stirling Moss
    "I race to win." - Ayrton Senna
    "If he had survived Imola 94, we would all be racing for second place" - Michael Schumacher

Shiftless clutcher Array ZoomaFoo's Avatar
    Bike
    '01 GSX-R600 race bike
    Quote Originally Posted by warp9racing View Post
    -i've been watching ama and although the big names are gone, its WAY better then last yr!!
    I couldn't agree more. AMA has been running on fumes for a while now but this past weekend gives me new hope. Every race was close and Brett McCormick finally got some decent airtime with his great battle and finish against Bostrom and Ulrich in race 2 (say what you want about Greg White, but he's the first Speed TV commentator to give Brett some credit and attention -- rightly so).

World Superbike was good, as well. Portimao seems to be a great, challenging circuit which again produced some very competitive racing. Don't forget to watch/record World Supersport on Tuesday, an always entertaining class.
    "When in doubt, FLAT OUT!"

Bike
    Demo Days
    BMW did win the Super Stock 1000 event today though. Here is the presser from Motorrad:

Congratulations to BMW Motorrad Italia and Ayrton Badovini for winning this morning’s Superstock 1000 FIM Cup race on the S 1000 RR at Portimao in Portugal. Not only did the Italian rider dominate throughout the final qualifying session, setting a pole position time that was nearly half a second faster than his nearest challenger, but he rode a near perfect race, eventually beating second placed Maxime Berger by 2.7 seconds on the S 1000 RR, with the next rider more than 13 seconds adrift. It’s hard to imagine a more perfect start for the BMW S 1000 RR in its debut year in Superstock.

Registered User Array darren.engineer's Avatar
    Bike
    2002 Honda CBR600F4i
    Didn't watch the race but who watched "Speed Test Ride" ? Essentially a 30 min promo show for the 2009 Kawi ZX-6R featuring: Ricky Gadsen, Jason Britton, and Jamie Hacking

Bike
    FJarrrrrrr!
    Quote Originally Posted by darren.engineer View Post
    Didn't watch the race but who watched "Speed Test Ride" ? Essentially a 30 min promo show for the 2009 Kawi ZX-6R featuring: Ricky Gadsen, Jason Britton, and Jamie Hacking
    That's been aired many times in the last 6mos too.
    Quote Originally Posted by G Hats View Post
    A sore ass is better than a shredded back!

** BIKE NIGHTS 2013 **

Bike
    IRSU magnet
    Quote Originally Posted by carla View Post
    No Question the rider pays a key role, so what does that say about BMW's choices
    Bmw motorrad motorsport: They seem to have gone all in (poker wise) with a penal colony reject and a washed up spiderman. I kid.

Team Reitwagen BMW: Resch, Tamada and Pitt. IDK a lot about Resch and Tamada, but Pitt can come odd as a bit of a cocky little bastard at times.

I would say their biggest problem will be consistency. There might be a win or a couple of podiums here and there, but they don't really have a standout rider.

No trees were harmed to display the above message ..... however a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced

Bike
    2010 Versys
    A mystery to me is what went so totally wrong with factory Ducati boys, but what an awesome weekend for Biaggi and Aprillia. Appears his team has got the bike dialed-in, and I've never Max so relaxed and content looking as in the post-race interviews. It appears that marriage and fatherhood is really good for him.

Next race is Valencia on April 11th which BTW is the first race day of 2010 for Motogp. GO GET'EM BEN!