Island ride

Thread: Island ride

Bike
    93 Bimot DB2

Island ride

I was wondering if anyone from the Island had taken the road around to Port Renfrew and back past the lake? Cowichan or Shawnigan? Don't know as I've never been there. Is it good for a ride now? What is the max. elevation?

Bing maps shows me this: http://www.bing.com/maps/default.asp...0~0~&encType=1

I like traffic cones :S Array made Man's Avatar
    Bike
    rsv4r
    the ride is sweeet. last year they had about 20 feet of unpaved surface there.
    The road at some places is pretty much 1 lane and twisty as fuck. I'd guess about 60% is pretty bumpy between Port Renfrew and Cowichan Lake, but sooooooo fun.

Also, when you get off the ferry, take Prospect Lake Rd that ends somewhere close to either 6 or 8 mile pub. You'll thank me later
    "Honda = Boring, Suzuki = Wannabes, Yamaha = Poser, Ducati = Overated, BMW = Compensating, Aprilia = Insecure, Buell = BCIT business... go faKOffee." - PUREVIL

Registered User Array
    Bike
    Did it a couple of weekends ago.....was fine, usual gravel.....elevation,changes every 20 feet ....seriously, the road is a rollar coaster. What bike are you taking on it? It's fully paved now....it's pretty faccking sweet, not to mention all the other little gems around the end's of those road's only a local like myself will know about.

That's me in the Gold Lid passing old Ken(KLR) down my Loss Creek. On the coast headed East to Renfrew.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r1aNj8vdhrA

Im off Saturday's and Sunday's now if someone wants a guided tour. Be happy to do that.

Bike
    93 Bimot DB2
    Thanks for the info. Does anyone know the maximum elevation you get to on that route?
    I'd take my DRZ400SM because I need to try it out on a longer run to test for a trip this summer. It will be the "is the seat good enough or do I need a more comfy one" test ride.
    I'll try the road on the Bimota when we have a dry spell.
    How long does it take, with a 1/2 hour stop for lunch and a couple of rest stops?
    One last question, there is a pub everyone goes to somewhere over there, where is it?

Thanks
    Andreas

Bike
    T4 - GSXR750 #23
    Just post up on Islandriders when you are going to do it, and you'll likely get a couple of tour guides!

guys do the loop on drz's, dorsoduro's, RR's ST's and hogs.... just pack enough fuel for abotu 140km and you're good to go!

Registered User Array stevo911_'s Avatar
    Bike
    05 DRZ400SM
    As the others have said, awesome ride! If you want someone slow to ride with I'm always down for a ride

Registered User Array
    Bike
    tarded
    post up when you're going to do it. you never know when you'll get tag alongs....

Bike
    rsv4r
    there is a coffee shop in port renfrew that is nice and refreshing.
    "Honda = Boring, Suzuki = Wannabes, Yamaha = Poser, Ducati = Overated, BMW = Compensating, Aprilia = Insecure, Buell = BCIT business... go faKOffee." - PUREVIL

Registered User Array
    Bike
    You don't need to pack any Fuel.....we did the loop pretty much wound out and I had to turn on my reserve about 3kms from town.....lot's of gas still in the tank.

Coastal Kitchen Cafe is the ONLY place to eat in Renny now.....Hotel is closed most of the year.

Nothing in Jordan River either...Shakies has been closed over a year now, and the Store is closed as well.

LkCow gas station to the gas station in Sooke is about 150 ish kms...

I'd book 3 horus for the loop.....2 and a bit riding or more....with the lunch stop. More like 5 if your going to come from Depature bay down to Lk Cow and head to Renny....then come out in Langford and back up the Malahat to Nanaimo again. Nice long day ride.

Bike
    93 Bimot DB2
    We are planning to do this Saturday morning/afternoon. Plan to catch a 9am ferry to Swartz Bay and ride down to Hwy 1, or some route and over to Lk Cow. Weather looks good so far.
    My friend has an SV 650 and I'll be on my DRZ. I have looked at Prospect Lake Rd. Munns and Fynlayson Arm rd both look good as well. Can meet people on the way. I'll check this thread each day now.

Bike
    rsv4r
    DRZ... you will LOVE it here http://maps.google.ca/maps?f=q&sourc...46,0.4422&z=12
    avoid Hwy1, it's boring as fuck... it's a highway!

Fookin Prawn Array
    It's 137kms from Sooke Chevron to the Esso in Lake Cowichan, including the detour to Coastal Kitchen .

Bike
    93 Bimot DB2
    Quote Originally Posted by FrostyFire View Post
    It's 137kms from Sooke Chevron to the Esso in Lake Cowichan, including the detour to Coastal Kitchen .
    Yeah right on the money and I just about didn't make it. The Z is a pig on gas and has a puny tank. Will need to work on the pig and put on the Clark I just got. Super ride, hundreds of bikers out there, thanks