Is my battery shot?

Thread: Is my battery shot?

Maple Ridge
    2007 Suzuki GSX-R 750

Question Is my battery shot?

While I was charging my battery yesterday it had 11.73 volts of juice in it. This morning I checked it (it was not charging overnight) and it was only 8.93 volts. Not good. Is the battery toast? Maybe charging it at 2 amps was just too much for it. I know 1.2 amps is the recommended charging rate but my automatic car battery chargers only go down to 2 amps. I thought that 2 amps was still low enough and wouldn't damage the battery. Looks like I may be buying a new battery and charger!

2. Remove Advertisements

2005 Hondabago
    Whenever I have a questionable battery I take it to edmonds and they do a load test. They'll let me know and it doesn't cost anything. Give them a call?
    Look not for happiness around the corner. Happiness is the corner. IBA#42642

Most places can do a load test for you. Doesn't have to be specifically Edmonds. That is the only way for sure to find out. Some batteries may be able to come back after a drain, but at 8.93volts, your battery may be beyond the point of no return.

I say, get a Deltran Battery Tender. Spend the extra few bucks and make sure you have one of the better chargers on the market.

Eh Muh Gawd Becky!! Array Purplekawi's Avatar
    my front room
    somethin somethin somethin
    Battery is pooched.
    That that doesn't kill us forces us to live with a busted up bike!!

Registered User Array
    More than one
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffy74 View Post
    ...Is the battery toast? ... I thought that 2 amps was still low enough and wouldn't damage the battery.
    Yes, its toast.

A rule of thumb is to charge your battery at a rate not higher than 10% of its rated amperage. i.e. 14 amp battery = 1.4 amp charge maximum. As well, a lower charge rate for a longer time period usually equals a happy and long-lived battery.

I think the Battery Tender chargers are 750 milliamps (3/4 amps).

Hope this helps.