Bike inspection
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Bike inspection

Bike
    2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R Blue

Bike inspection

Need someone to inspect a bike for me. I thought of EMS but I need the inspection done on site as the dealer won't let me take it off the property. I'm almost sold on the bike, just need someone to confirm for me that it hasn't been rebuilt or anything like that.

Alternatively, if anyone knows how to get the history on an American bike that might work to, although I'd rather someone take a look at it. I have the VIN...

Just for the record it's a 2009 Ninja 250, 5,000 miles (not Km). Small crack in fairing so I'm guessing it's been dropped at some point, probably not moving though.

Anyone able to help me out? Would need it tomorrow 4-5 ish, but let me know when works for you and I'll try to make it work. Will pay good $$

Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    BCSportBikes.com
    Advertisements

Slow......... Array [BlackDiamond]'s Avatar
    Bike
    2013 Yamaha VMAX
    Did you call EMS? They might be able to do on-site for a fee?
    2013 Yamaha VMAX 1700 ▪ 2009 Suzuki GSXR 750 ▪ 2005 Yamaha R6 ▪ 2001 Yamaha R6

'Busa girls, God love 'em Array Argyle's Avatar
    Bike
    06 'Busa
    Strange policy that they wouldn't let you take it for an inspection...that would be setting ALARM BELLS off for me

Bike
    nice bike
    Just curious....is it a green ninja?
    te tee ... te te tee ...... te tee ...te te tee............ te tee .

Bike
    Blue, and it's imported from the states. The alarm bells are ringing faintly just because it's from a semi-shady dealer in Surrey. But the guy seemed very straight forward honest, the bike rode smooth and started up (cold) nicely and idled well.

It's going for $3499 which is a steal, so I want to make sure there isn't a reason that it's so cheap. I'm thinking (hoping) maybe just because it was cheap in the states. I said I could put a down payment on it to hold it, and I'll buy it on the condition that it passes an inspection. He's fine with an inspection just doesn't want it leaving the property....

I'll call EMS in the morning, hopefully they will... Or maybe he'll let me buy it, inspect it, and return it if it fails - but that seems a lil risky on my end.

Registered User Array Kamloopsfz6's Avatar
    Bike
    2007 Yamaha fz6
    I would not call that a steal. Why dont you import one from WA State yourself.

Like this one, offer 3500.00 Less miles as well.

http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/mcy/1690386784.html

Bike
    SV650
    $3499.00 is a good price as long as the bike is straight. Importing still adds extra bucks in fees and time so you'd need to buy a US bike for $3000 to compare and that won't cover your time. I'd certainly have it gone over by a mechanic before you do a deal, good luck

Bike
    The bike I'm looking at is in pretty good shape.. Probably an 8/10 I'd say. It has a crack in the fairing at the turn signal, looks like it had a stationary drop kinda thing. Doesn't stick out unless you look for it. Couple other random scratches but pretty good overall I thought.

Is it not the steal of a deal I thought it was? I need to be in the range of $4000-$4200 after taxes. Oh and it has to be blue

Think I should keep looking? Or pounce?

Bike
    SV650
    Cracks and scratches really ding resale values, much more than you may think. Try to find a real clean bike as it will pay off when you sell it.

Bike
    Just talked to the guy again, asked him if I could buy it out right - take it to EMS for an inspection, and if it failed could I bring it back. He said no then went off on a rant about some reason, I actually didn't catch what the reason was in between the profanities... if there was one.

I'm gonna call EMS at 12 when they open and ask if they can do an onsite, if not I think I'm gonna pass. Seems a little to risky given the 100% lack of support I will get as soon as I give him $$$...

Oh and about the fairing - isn't that just a $200-$250 fix online? Even after $250 this would be cheaper than most bikes on CL

Bike
    2009 Red Kawi Ninja 250r
    Quote Originally Posted by Cordero View Post
    Just talked to the guy again, asked him if I could buy it out right - take it to EMS for an inspection, and if it failed could I bring it back. He said no then went off on a rant about some reason, I actually didn't catch what the reason was in between the profanities... if there was one.

I'm gonna call EMS at 12 when they open and ask if they can do an onsite, if not I think I'm gonna pass. Seems a little to risky given the 100% lack of support I will get as soon as I give him $$$...

Oh and about the fairing - isn't that just a $200-$250 fix online? Even after $250 this would be cheaper than most bikes on CL
    Run the hell away. When I got mine from a craigslist posting I had 1 day from full payment to test the bike and if something was wrong I could return it. Pending I didn't damage or scratch the bike. Any dealer should give you half to 1 day from payment to do a return as long as the bike is in the same condition. I smell something fishy going on here.

Oh also the small crack in the fairing might be hidding something worse. Most reasons people don't want you taking it for inspection off property is because they can really get into the bike. With an onsite inspection all your guy can really do is check the basics. There may or may not be something wrong internally that you won't realize till you are down the road.
    Last edited by cypne; 04-19-2010 at 11:41 AM.
    (\_/)
    (O.o)
    (> <)
    This is Bunny.
    Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination...

Map of my Routes so far :D

New to this vlogging concept :)

Bike
    2007 CBR125R, 2012 NC700X
    Quote Originally Posted by Cordero View Post
    "...He said no then went off on a rant about some reason, I actually didn't catch what the reason was in between the profanities... if there was one."

Jeebus. This has a loud "No buy!" written all over it, if you ask me...

Bike
    Take the bike for a test ride, while on a test ride, stop by another shop and have the bike checked out.

I wouldn't deal with a dealer that used profanity and ranting while I was trying to deal on a bike.
    R.I.P #48 Shoya Tomizawa (December 10, 1990 – September 5, 2010)
    R.I.P. #58 Marco Simoncelli (January 20, 1987 – October 23, 2011)

Bike
    2015 Triumph Tiger Explorer XC
    There are more than enough red flags here to make me walk away.
    "Let us cross over the river, and rest under the shade of the trees."
    ~Last words of Gen. Thomas Jonathan "Stonewall" Jackson

Bike
    Haha thanks guys. I called EMS and the guy I talked to (sorry, didn't catch your name) is on this forum and had read this thread. Anyways he told me to run, so I did. Glad to see everyone else was thinking the same thing.

Thanks again for the input, I might have otherwise been stupid enough to buy it.