Feeling Very Vulnerable Today

Thread: Feeling Very Vulnerable Today

Bike
    1989 Honda Hawk GT 650

Thumbs down Feeling Very Vulnerable Today

Road work in Richmond on Cooney Road. Single lane traffic. Awkward because the road work is just before my home street where I want to turn left.

From a dead stop, two flag people have me into the oncoming lane, then back into my lane. I signal to turn left well before I pass the second flag person and slow down, now in lane position 3 of my lane, close to the solid yellow centre line.

As I turn my head left to begin my turn, a vehicle flashes past me from behind to my left in the oncoming lane. The vehicle passed so close to me that I was sure it would clip me. It was all I could do to keep the handlebars pointed straight ahead and pray the vehicle cleared me.

I have no idea what the vehicle was doing passing me on the left, over a solid yellow centre line, right in front of a flag person.

I gave the guy the finger and thought briefly about chasing him down, but was afraid of what I might do if I caught him.

I feel vulnerable because I had no chance to protect myself. Had I turned left, I would have become a hood ornament. My mirrors were of no use to me because the vehicle behind me was following too close, in my blind spot. I don’t typically shoulder check to my left when I am turning left and already in lane position 3 with the turn signal on.

This incident certainly makes me re-think my choice of transportation.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BCSportBikes.com
    Advertisements

Registered User Array 125cbr rider's Avatar
    Bike
    2014 Honda CB500X
    Quote Originally Posted by derekmcl View Post
    This incident certainly makes me re-think my choice of transportation.
    why? shit happens. you walked away and no broken bones.
    you knew the bike didn't have a cage around it and no seat belt when you bought it. everyone goes through a scary moment one time or another. keep going if i were you

I like traffic cones :S Array made Man's Avatar
    Bike
    rsv4r
    what was he doing? you are in richmond. get used to it.
    Seen way too much crap like that in there to be surprised anymore.
    "Honda = Boring, Suzuki = Wannabes, Yamaha = Poser, Ducati = Overated, BMW = Compensating, Aprilia = Insecure, Buell = BCIT business... go faKOffee." - PUREVIL

Registered User Array 125cbr rider's Avatar
    Bike
    2014 Honda CB500X
    Quote Originally Posted by made Man View Post
    what was he doing? you are in richmond. get used to it.
    Seen way too much crap like that in there to be surprised anymore.
    its not just in Richmond, its everwhere!

The bird is the word! Array Iceman's Avatar
    Bike
    07 Yamaha R6
    riding is not the most secure mode of trasnport , that's for sure!
    you've got several options:

- hang your gear and retire from riding
    - relocate from Richmond; we all know it houses the shittiest drivers in the west ( I live in Richmond too, i know)
    - adopt the "SmokeShow" vigilante attitude and chase down road offenders and bash them with your helmet.... make sure you post about it here afterwards though!
    - and finally the most reasonable option. don't use it as a daily commute but rather for the weekend rides in the backroads. this doesn't eliminate the danger factor of riding, but does cut down on frequent encounters with oblivious drivers.
    Last edited by Iceman; 05-06-2010 at 01:13 AM.
    Hardware : Me :: Bacon : Homer Simpson

Dinkin Flicka...

Bike
    1989 Honda Hawk GT 650
    Thanks for the comments. My theory is that he must have been fooling with his radio or something and didn't see me stop. He couldn't stop in time, couldn't swerve right (because the work crew was there), so he swerved left. That would explain why he passed so close. It was either that or nail me.

I don't plan to stop riding, but I'm not so smug about being able to defensively ride my way out of every hazard. All that money on protective riding gear now seems like a great investment.

I just never thought that riding around Richmond was that dangerous. Traffic is usually gridlocked, so we aren't talking about great speeds. However, this was an example of how little speed is required by a cage to kill or seriously injure a motorcyclist.

My helmet is worth 500 bucks. That jerk's cranium isn't worth it.

Bike
    2007 CBR125R, 2012 NC700X
    I had some dipwad in a Lexus behind me in RMD the other day, just fawkin lay into his horn, because I didn't turn left through the intersection when he thought I should.

The reason I wasn't proceeding, was because I didn't trust the speed of a car coming towards me across the intersection, even though he had his right turn signal on.

Sure as shit, the moron blows straight through, turnsignal merrily flashing away.

After then (safely) continuing through the intersection and going a few car lengths ahead, I turn to look at the goof who honked at me. He, despite having had to have seen the obvious godamned reason I didn't turn, and thereby preventing my own death, gives me this arrogant "WTF are you looking at" stare, and vague hand gesture through his windshield!

Curiously though, when traffic stopped at the next light and I got off my bike to go discuss things, all his idiot horn honking bravery went *poof* and he lost all interest at being billy badass

WTF is with people

Lowside King Array guy_likewhoa's Avatar
    Bike
    2007 Candy Red R6
    why would you turn left from P3? talk about zero lane dominance.

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by guy_likewhoa View Post
    why would you turn left from P3? talk about zero lane dominance.
    Huh?

I was where I should be in the intersection, waiting to turn left.

What is this P3 "lane dominance" shit?

Registered Luser Array
    Bike
    2008 fat kaw
    i think he means pos 1 not pos 3 - he says closest to centreline.

however..

Quote Originally Posted by derekmcl View Post
    I don’t typically shoulder check to my left when I am turning left and already in lane position 3 with the turn signal on.
    why would u not shoulder check left. i mean i can see a case where u wouldnt shoulder check on a right if u had scanned all the way up to the turn and blah blah blah..but not shoulder checking on a left is kinda suicidal unless there is a hard median or sumthin i guess

ive seen a ton of times where a guy will signal left, stop, the guy behind him sees the signal and stops, but then a third guy comes from behind, doesnt see any signal and stupidly goes to pass the first two cars.

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by sAdam View Post
    i think he means pos 1 not pos 3 - he says closest to centreline.

however..

why would u not shoulder check left. i mean i can see a case where u wouldnt shoulder check on a right if u had scanned all the way up to the turn and blah blah blah..but not shoulder checking on a left is kinda suicidal unless there is a hard median or sumthin i guess

ive seen a ton of times where a guy will signal left, stop, the guy behind him sees the signal and stops, but then a third guy comes from behind, doesnt see any signal and stupidly goes to pass the first two cars.

Ah. - I thought he was repying to me, not the original poster.