Selling bike with BC vin and Rebuilt status into Ontario

Thread: Selling bike with BC vin and Rebuilt status into Ontario

Registered User Array
    Bike
    2004 GSX-R 750 & 1997 CBR 900 RR

Selling bike with BC vin and Rebuilt status into Ontario

Hi.
    Disclaimer: I searched through a lot of old threads before asking, so if this has been answered before, i apologise.

I'm selling my older bike (`97 cbr900 rr) to a friend in ontario. It has a BC vin assigned (riveted to the frame with orig. peened out), and rebuilt status.

Has anyone sold or registered a vehicle in Ontario with an assigned BC vin, and/or rebuilt status?
    I'm familiar with the private sale process in Ontario (certification, licensing, insurance, etc).
    I'm just looking for any advice or info i should look out for. It's my buddy, so i'll feel bad if it goes crappy for some reason, and i would feel semi-responsible.

thanks.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BCSportBikes.com
    Advertisements

Bike
    FJarrrrrrr!
    Why not just call the local Motor Vehicles branch, and ask them?
    Quote Originally Posted by G Hats View Post
    A sore ass is better than a shredded back!

** BIKE NIGHTS 2013 **

Registered User Array stevezx12r's Avatar
    Bike
    2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R, 2003 Yamaha TTR125LE
    Quote Originally Posted by Heals View Post
    Hi.
    Disclaimer: I searched through a lot of old threads before asking, so if this has been answered before, i apologise.

I'm selling my older bike (`97 cbr900 rr) to a friend in ontario. It has a BC vin assigned (riveted to the frame with orig. peened out), and rebuilt status.

Has anyone sold or registered a vehicle in Ontario with an assigned BC vin, and/or rebuilt status?
    I'm familiar with the private sale process in Ontario (certification, licensing, insurance, etc).
    I'm just looking for any advice or info i should look out for. It's my buddy, so i'll feel bad if it goes crappy for some reason, and i would feel semi-responsible.

thanks.
    Things may have changed, but I know a couple years ago Ontario would not register rebuilt status motorcycles even if they had been previously registered and insured in BC after they were rebuilt. But like Chia said, best to check with the Motor Vehicle Branch.

Registered User Array
    Bike

tried

Quote Originally Posted by CHIA View Post
    Why not just call the local Motor Vehicles branch, and ask them?
    Good advice. I was trying to keep my post breif so i neglected to say:

I've been trying from my desk in Van to get an answer from the MTO. They know a lot more about US importing than about BC titles, so in the meantime, I was trying to tap the knowlegebase on the forum. In Ontario, every sale involves a "certification" process by a qualified garage. I was pretty excited when i bought my first bike in BC (this bike) to find out that i A) didnt need a mechanical inspection; and, B) Could register it, and get plates outside of 9:30am-4pm mon-fri. Anyway, I am tapping all sources i can think of. I have to hope this is a straightforward process, but we'll see. thanks.

Registered User Array
    Bike

Fff

Quote Originally Posted by stevezx12r View Post
    Things may have changed, but I know a couple years ago Ontario would not register rebuilt status motorcycles even if they had been previously registered and insured in BC after they were rebuilt. But like Chia said, best to check with the Motor Vehicle Branch.
    thanks man. I'm supposed to get a call back from the MTO. I'll start asking some more general questions. If what you're saying still holds, the process of getting this done might be too convoluted. I'm sure that Ont can assign VINs to vehicles (like if i built one, or something custom). So if they consider the BC vin invalid (as in, having a BC vin isnt indicitive of a road worthy vehicle), i suppose i could have it inspected, and a new vin assigned. that's too much work. appreciate the input. thanks.

side note: it pisses me off that Ont would have such a policy on rebuilt status. this bike was never in an accident. it received a new VIN and rebuilt status after a theft recovery, sans engine. oh well. it is what it is. i just want the world to work the way i want.

Registered User Array
    Bike
    More than one
    Quote Originally Posted by Heals View Post

Probably best for your friend to query the Ontario MOT. They know the laws there.