Another attack by devoted members of a religion (NSFW Language)
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Another attack by devoted members of a religion (NSFW Language)

Registered User Array
    Bike
    2003 sv 'fighter, 1990 CBR400RR TYGA "Jadedblade"

Another attack by devoted members of a religion (NSFW Language)

I am interested to hear honest comments...not just the politically correct ones. This invoked some strong feelings when I watched it and I am wondering if it will for others as well.

Bike
    I'm just here for the intelligent conversation.
    A couple of things: First of all, I don't really get the film, was it portraying Muhammad as a homosexual?

If so, why would you play it in front of a bunch of muslims? Seriously, Freedom of Speech aside that's a slap in the face. I would expect a similar reaction to play a movie portraying Jesus as a gay man in front of a bunch of evangelical Christians. Although, I will say that the proper reaction would be to get up and leave. Mind you I could see people voicing their opinions, not everyone is polite.

That said, most groups would boycott or protest the film, whereas the muslim community feels that they need to stop ANYONE from seeing the film.

Although, even as someone that believes in gay rights, I don't see why someone would feel the need to make a film like that? Shock Value? It's one thing to make a film, documentary or something like Theo Van Gogh did, but portraying a religious leader as a homosexual just to get a rise out of people is in bad taste.

Christians weren't too happy when they thought THIS was being made. Even though it turned out to be a hoax.

Summary: Freedom of speech doesn't mean people have to sit and listen/watch you offend them and not react. It's not a free-for-all to just offend people and have them like it. BUT, if you don't like something, while you shouldn't be forced to sit through it, you don't have the right to stop others from showing/seeing it. But you have the right to voice your objections.

Registered User Array smokeshow81's Avatar
    Bike
    Looking
    I'm not sure what happened there. Some guy made a music video that was abit to vulgar for the holy grail types and they lost it citing that their beliefs are enough to make the world stop watching the video.

Those ppl need a serious sit down. No one god has any rules any different from the same god called by a different name.
    Young Drivers of Canada - class 5
    Cyclelogics - class 6
    Benji's Driving School - class 1
    Find me on skype: shawn radakovich

for the crumpet I suppose Array
    Bike
    2008 ZX10r street, 2009 ZX6r race, KTM 300 XC-W dirt.
    There. Is. No. Fucking. God.
    Wake up!

Bike
    no more bike...
    Without doing any more research into this, my question would be that if the film being shown was so offensive to muslim people, why were they sitting down and ready to watch it? One can only assume that they had no idea what they were about to see. However, instead of lashing out with physical violence, why not just leave? Instead they just made themselves look like a bunch of fools. I wonder if their prophet would condone what they have done?

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by dasein View Post
    Wake up!
    But that's the thing. The beauty of this country (and Sweden where that took place) is that there is freedom of religion. So while you have the right to believe there is no God, others have the right to believe there is.

And you have no more proof that there is no God than those people have that Mohammud is their prophet. Trying to cram your belief down other people's throats is no different than someone else saying "you're going to hell, Repent!"

Then again, you have the right to say whatever the hell you want. It is Canada after all. I'm just pointing out that you may be what you hate.
    Last edited by J_Scott; 05-15-2010 at 01:06 AM.

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by grey ghost View Post
    Without doing any more research into this, my question would be that if the film being shown was so offensive to muslim people, why were they sitting down and ready to watch it? One can only assume that they had no idea what they were about to see. However, instead of lashing out with physical violence, why not just leave? Instead they just made themselves look like a bunch of fools. I wonder if their prophet would condone what they have done?
    I completely agree with you. If they were kinda sandbagged with it, I could see them being upset to be honest. The violence is stupid, but if I was a muslim, the last thing I would do is sit through a Lars Vilks film as he's been known to make art offensive to their religion.

Registered User Array
    Bike
    CBR125R, Bandit 1250S
    Wouldn't it be easier just to stop the film and let the people who want to leave leave, and restart/resume the film for those who want to stay behind and watch?

It should be no surprise that it was going to be seriously offensive to some.

for the crumpet I suppose Array
    Bike
    2008 ZX10r street, 2009 ZX6r race, KTM 300 XC-W dirt.
    Quote Originally Posted by J_Scott View Post
    But that's the thing. The beauty of this country (and Sweden where that took place) is that there is freedom of religion. So while you have the right to believe there is no God, others have the right to believe there is.

And you have no more proof that there is no God than those people have that Mohammud is their prophet. Trying to cram your belief down other people's throats is no different than someone else saying "you're going to hell, Repent!"

Then again, you have the right to say whatever the hell you want. It is Canada after all. I'm just pointing out that you may be what you hate.
    Well, there is the argument from evil.

Basically, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Problem_of_evil

I am not cramming anything down anyone's throat (well, at least not on this site...).

But I do have the right to call them as I see them, and, for me, after the Holocaust, Dresden, Hiroshima, Cambodia, Rwanda, and so on, I can whole heartedly say that if there is a god...

FUCK YOU, GOD!

My $0.02.
    Last edited by dasein; 05-15-2010 at 01:27 AM.

Bike
    Well, there is the argument from evil.

Basically, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Problem_of_evil

I am not cramming anything down anyones throat (well, at least not on this site...).

But I do have the right to call them as I see them, and, for me, after the Holocaust, Dresden, Hiroshima, Cambodia, Rwanda, and so on, I can whole heartedly say that if there is a god...

FUCK YOU, GOD!

My $0.02.
    That's more like it.

Let me be clear. I grew up in a really religious family. Started questioning my own beliefs a couple of years ago. Now I'm not in either camp, but really question the thought process behind organized religion.

That said, I still really value freedom of religion, and free speech. And I totally get where you're coming from. I just don't hold the belief that all people that believe in God/Religion are crazy. And I don't believe the world would be all holding hands if there was no religion either.

Back on topic. Sorry.

Registered User Array 4wheelsLESS's Avatar
    Bike
    Only U see my ride
    No way to judge this as the intent and motive of the whole thing is not known! It appears, the expectation of the Muslim group to be audience was a big surprise. The Muslim audience did not look like students in an auditorium lecture. They were shocked or felt were being setup thus the reaction. Too many missing pieces of this video to come to conclusion. Final say "no fire, no smoke"! Simple!

medicated 4 ur protection Array syncro's Avatar
    Bike
    RC51 & Blackbird
    Wake up!
    this is enough proof for me that there is a god.

*** every move should be calculated ***

Quote Originally Posted by sAdam View Post
    Most everyone on here is worth a laugh or has a good insight at one time or another, even syncro.

Registered User Array kamen rider's Avatar
    Bike
    Honda
    Quote Originally Posted by J_Scott View Post
    Let me be clear. I grew up in a really religious family. Started questioning my own beliefs a couple of years ago. Now I'm not in either camp, but really question the thought process behind organized religion.

That said, I still really value freedom of religion, and free speech. And I totally get where you're coming from. I just don't hold the belief that all people that believe in God/Religion are crazy. And I don't believe the world would be all holding hands if there was no religion either.
    Wow. I know this is off topic but I am impressed by your personal growth. It's usually when one questions their own beliefs as opposed to blindly following religion that they start to open up their world.

Bike
    2006 K1200S
    Quote Originally Posted by syncro View Post
    this is enough proof for me that there is a god.

she IS a god(ess) !!!

Registered User Array
    Bike
    My second favoirite religion to hate on is Muslim. Christians are still my #1.

Your in a theater and the song playing is saying Gay Bar, You got the Iatoldya pics, the mosque, yeah I'd say your offending a race/religion of people who would cut your throut or kill children if they said the same.

MmmHmmm....well tomorrow take a poster that reads: Jesus was GAY, and stomp around your local church and tell us how things go down sunday night