49cc scooter or cbr125?
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: 49cc scooter or cbr125?

I'm a she-male. Array integra298's Avatar
    Bike
    Scooty Puff Junior.

Cool 49cc scooter or cbr125?

So I'd like to get a second 'bike' for getting around the city. One that I can actually commute on, go to and from work on, maybe lug some groceries, things like that.

So the 49cc scooter shouldn't be more than ~$1500 for a newish. I don't know much about scoots though, I'm sure some of you here must. I heard 4 stroke is slower but the engine wear will be better. I guess either yami bws, honda jazz or ruckus, or ... ?

But the cbr125 I can probably get for ~$1700. Will be faster, more fun, more insurance, more gas.

The zx6r is just way to sporty to go get some milk n eggs, ya know? (=

I know some of you have scooters, so what's your advice?
    Last edited by integra298; 05-16-2010 at 11:59 PM.
    -teg-

Hello? Anyone still out there? d:

2. Remove Advertisements
    BCSportBikes.com
    Advertisements

Registered User Array 125cbr rider's Avatar
    Bike
    2014 Honda CB500X
    yamaha bws is your best bet. cheap as a mother trucker on a gas and insurance!

Bike
    '08 ZZR 600
    Stay away from the 49cc Honda Ruckus! I had one, sold it. It's slower than molasses, even with the Polini parts when you have to negotiate hills. It's ok on flat stretches, but that's it. Honda has discontinued the 49cc Ruckus. If you could get your hands on the BIG Ruckus that they made a few years ago with the 250cc that would be awesome, but good luck finding one - and then they've kept their price. I think they are still selling for nearly $5K.

Gas and insurance was super cheap though.

Realistically, the BWS is the better bet. It's a 2-stroke, therefore better power. But yes, they wear more than the Ruckus 4-stroke. But I think with today's engineering they do last longer. Also, the Ruckus did not have disk brakes, that was quite noticeable on hills. The BWS has hydraulic disk brakes and street tires. The Ruckus had knobbly, more off-road suited tires that got to ya after a while - made your hands numb. With the Ruckus you only have that open under-seat storage. I had intended to build a cage from netting, but never got around to it. The BWS has much better, enclosed storage. Keeps the milk carton dry.

That's my 2 cents...
    GPS not required.

Registered User Array Son of Lars's Avatar
    Bike
    01 Honda RC51
    Teg, don't you know that the DRZ400SM is the single greatest motorcycle ever made? It will do everything you need it to, and so much more! Specially the yellow ones. I heard they will even do 6th gear wheelies sideways!

Posing with conviction Array heisenberg9's Avatar
    Bike
    anyone I can lean against
    Depends on how utilitarian you need your scooter to be. If you are hauling groceries on it, I would check all of them for under the seat storage and rack on the back if you want that. Some have a wire shelf out front as well. The Ruckus doesn't have proper under the seat storage unless you cage in the the frame under the seat. The Jazz has good storage under the seat: room for a bag and a half of groceries. BWS has a shelf on the back and one on the front (I think) - not sure about under the seat. There is also the Yamaha Vino which comes in 50cc and I think the 125cc is still available but not sure which has more true design cues to the original Vespas. The Jazz is a modern pretender but some like it.

You should definatily go to dealerships and try them out and check out storage capacity and compartments. Don't discount the 50cc. You can rip around for a week for under 5 bucks.
    Last edited by heisenberg; 05-17-2010 at 12:44 AM.

Registered User Array
    Bike
    it has wheels
    Go visit Vespa Vancouver/Urban Wasp on 4Th ave. just behind Carter. they got the biggest selection of 49cc scooters in the lower mainland. I bought my scoot there and Just LOVE IT! I think they have the Aprilia SR50 there. That scoot can blow the BWS out of the water!
    Quote Originally Posted by Squire View Post
    That was the fastest scooter I've seen! You lapped guys on 600's on that thing. :)

Registered User Array
    Bike
    CBR125R, Bandit 1250S
    The only scooter experience I have was on a 2008 Yamaha TMAX on a demo ride. Not my cup of tea.

Bought a 2008 Honda CBR125R recently as an errand bike to replace my electric motor assisted bicycle (MAC).

Man, are these things under powered if you just have gotten off a Gixxer or especially a 1250S. However, on the other hand, they are O.K. when compared to a MAC.

Thank goodness the 125 is very receptive to ignition mods. Power is not bad now.

I find that the 125 is great also for experimenting with cornering techniques at low speeds that would also apply to bigger bikes at higher speeds. And it is damn fun to run about.

I find the CBR125R to be a quality piece for what it is. So, yup, I am still a happy camper. And it is damn cheap to purchase and run.
    Last edited by TechyIam; 05-17-2010 at 03:10 AM.

Bike
    2012 Cannondale CAAD10 Rival
    A scooter like the Yamaha Vino or Honda Jazz has an underseat compartment big enough for you to fit groceries or a 4L jug of milk. The CVT transmission on these are good for the city. I owned both of these scooters and were fine except you can't go beyond 60km/h.

Registered User Array Acuracura's Avatar
    Bike
    2002 Yamaha BWS
    I've owned both so I hope my feedback and experience is helpful to you.

The BWS is a great commuter bike. It is a 2-stroker so it is slightly more powerful than those 4-stroke 50cc scooters. An example is I had a passenger and was able to stay head to head with a friend on his 50cc Jazz. We were both giving it full throttle, you’re almost always giving a 50cc bike full throttle. My BWS topped out at 65kmph on flat and about 60kmph with a passenger. Fast enough for the city as long as your don’t go on any highways or bridges. As for storage, the BWS was excellent because it has a lockable underseat storage space for a helmet or groceries. I also had a Givi top box which was also lockable and completely removable if I didn’t want it. Because the BWS is a 2-seater bike, there is enough space behind you for a passenger, or for you to wear a large backpack, allowing you to transport additional goods. As a last resort, the space between your feet can also accommodate a couple bags of groceries which I’ve done on many occasions. I strongly recommend this bike as a daily commuter. It got me to SFU Burnaby, supermarkets, work, and other places all on cheap gas and cheap insurance. Since I know nothing about 2-strokes, I took it to Daytona Motorsports on Hastings for service when it needed it. My only reservation is that it could not get me to places outside of Vancouver and Burnaby. That is, Richmond, North Van., Coquitlam, etc. were off limits due to its lack of speed. Of course that is something you consider when you purchase a bike like this. The only place I really missed was Richmond.

Now for the CBR125, which is currently my only mode of transportation. First off, it is a sport bike so the fun factor blows the BWS out of the water. It’ll go as fast as you need it to go so don’t worry about being limited to certain cities. I’ve taken mine to the states a couple times without any problems. The CBR is also a 2-seater bike but my passenger claims the BWS was way more comfortable (of course, the BWS has a huge flat seat). I often use the passenger seat on the CBR as a storage space to bungee down various items (extra shoes, boxes, groceries, etc.). I recently put on some saddlebags for additional storage because I found I was having a major issue with storage. Saddle bags help but the problem with them is they aren’t lockable so putting anything of value in there is pointless unless you take it all with you when you walk away. This bike has no more storage than any other sport bike so don’t expect to carry anything without a backpack. In fact, I ALWAYS ride with a backpack now. Can’t think of the last time I rode without one. If I have a passenger, they end up with the pack on their back. I’ve ordered a lockable Givi top box like I had on the scooter but Carter is taking forever to get the parts for me. Ordered in March and it’s now May, still nothing. Maintenance for the CBR is ridiculously simple. You’ll save a ton on service if you learn how to do things yourself. The bike doesn’t require an oil filter and takes exactly 1 litre of oil so oil changes are dirt cheap. Spark plugs and coolant rarely need to be changed. My tires (stock) are still good after 13,000 kms and the chain and sprockets are good at least until the end of this season of daily riding (rain or shine). I’ve done it all on this bike, again on cheap gas and cheap insurance (for a sport bike). So the CBR125 also comes with a high recommendation as a daily commuter. My only reservation is that it lacked storage which is a major problem for someone who needs to bring groceries home, but at that same time the problem is fixable with storage accessories like a backpack, saddle bags, givi top box, tank bag, etc.

In sum, you have to ask yourself what your needs are for the bike. The BWS has excellent storage but is limited by its speed. The CBR125 gives you access to anywhere you want but doesn’t come equipped to carry anything but yourself. Do you need storage more than speed?

I’m not you, but considering you already have a sport bike to go the distance and have fun, you should get a scooter just for commuting. In my case, I need a daily rider that can access far off cities as well as have lots of storage so I’m just adding accessories to the CBR to suit my needs. Plus I do my own maintenance and still participate in sport bike events and bcsb group rides which I wouldn’t be able to do on the scooter.

Good luck. Let us know what you choose and why.

Bike
    2012 Cannondale CAAD10 Rival
    That friend with the 49cc Jazz was actually me.

Ridin hard n dirty Array Mr.Sushi ya ha's Avatar
    Bike
    bunch "o" bikes
    I have a BWS scooter....I got it for camping and blasting downtown...It has a big enough trunk under the seat to fit a open face helmet, or a bag of groceries and I had a givi top box...

The beauty I discovered is when we ride them like idiots...(me and Crev) we dont get in too much trouble like if we were on ther big bikes...things like wheelies, sidewalks, loading ramp jumps, lane splitting...on a scooter people seem to not make it a big deal...it does go 65-70 kph and if you know the city well enough you can get anywhere...since the speed limit is rarely over 80 except the highways...you just gotta be careful and tuck for max speed when you cross the bridges...but during rush hours you dont get up to speed...

Scooters=fun and funny....

I was just practicing feet up circle donuts on gravel the other day...it can be done...plus we can get a knee down ...see....funny and silly...cant do that on a bike!
    Last edited by Mr.Sushi ya ha; 05-17-2010 at 10:48 AM.
    Remembering Bill Mclean.
    Having had a colonoscopy......I have now seen where the sun don't shine......(Me)
    Cancer Sucks!!!

Bike
    FJarrrrrrr!
    Well, you already have a sport bike, so I see the CBR125 as somewhat redundant.

I think the scooter, for it's high level of utilitarian offering, is the best choice.

The CBR really only brings you a smaller, slightly less expensive package to the table, not really the true benefits of a task oriented machine, like a scooter, with great storage, no shifting, and the ultimate in dirt cheap fun.

Just my
    Quote Originally Posted by G Hats View Post
    A sore ass is better than a shredded back!

** BIKE NIGHTS 2013 **

Posing with conviction Array heisenberg9's Avatar
    Bike
    anyone I can lean against
    One thing that hasn't been mentioned is the BWS has more torque in the lower end of the rev range so you get much quicker "off the mark" starts than either the Jazz or Vino. It is also easier to fit with a top case like Mr. Sushi ya ha has mentioned.

Bike
    I am trying to find one of these 50cc Derbi.

2004 and newer are now RIV admissible.
    R.I.P #48 Shoya Tomizawa (December 10, 1990 – September 5, 2010)
    R.I.P. #58 Marco Simoncelli (January 20, 1987 – October 23, 2011)

Bike
    nice bike
    125-175cc modern scooter would be perfect solution but we don't have those available here. I have heard of some people in Toronto import (auto) scooters from India. With 49cc scooter you will save on Insurance money. 49cc scooter can be a pain or fun depending upon location where you live and where you want to venture around on it.

With motorcycle (cbr125r) one advantage is that it would be more smoother on the bumpy road compared to scooter with smaller wheel. For carrying groceries you will have to attach boxes/panniers to the bike. Maybe get panniers that you can easily remove and attach on your weekend bike. With cbr125 you will be in front of traffic, while on scooter traffic will be passing you or tailgating you.
    te tee ... te te tee ...... te tee ...te te tee............ te tee .