[Crosspost notice - this post will be on both bcsportbikes.com and sportbikes.net - hopefully it isn't regarded as spam, as it's not intended that way]
In my daily life (when I'm not out riding), I do embedded systems engineering on a contract basis. I've got a bit of a light few months coming up, and I'm considering building/selling a few little bike bits that I see coming up in questions and such every now and again.
I'd like to know what you all would like to see, price points (please be realistic, I *will* be building these things by hand), etc.
(1) I've noticed that the guy who mods backlights won't do gauge clusters that use bulbs (rather than LEDs). I'm 99.998% certain I can do it (blue LED backlights on your [my] blue R6, anyone? How about red LEDs for your red one?). Anybody else have "unmoddable" gauge clusters like mine that would be interested at somewhere between $70 and $100 CDN apiece?
(2) Gear indicator - I've noticed also that several people are like me and would like a visual indication of what gear their machine is in (clutch-toe-up-CRAP-already-in-6th). I'm planning on building one of these as well. However, I'm wondering if a numeric display (1-6) or LED bargraph (perhaps red/red/orange/yellow/green/blue or something) would be more useful? I'm tending towards the bargraph, because looking down and trying to read a number at 100+km/h is not only no fun, but it's also dangerous.
Side note: I will not (!) be packaging the gear indicators in those ugly-as-sin proto/project boxes from Radio Shack. I will be building a mold and potting the units in black plastic resin - this will not only make them far more attractive, but also weatherproof. Obviously we try to avoid rain when we can, but when we can't it's nice to know we won't be frying anything, isn't it? This will also allow me to build (possibly, depending on demand) a custom mold for a certain bike (I have an R6, so count on being able to mount it at the very tip of your R6's windshield). I'm hoping that these are going to be pretty slick.
(3) Shift light? Would a big, your-choice colour LED screaming "GET THE FUCK OUT OF THAT GEAR RIGHT NOW" at whatever RPM you specified be interesting to you?
(4) How about combinations of any of these things? Would you like to have a gear indicator and shift light integrated into your gauge cluster?
(5) Anyone have any little electronic toys they've been dying to find for their machines? If I think it's a cool idea that I could sell, I'll give you one of your idea for my cost in parts.
I'd appreciate any feedback whatsoever, be it via private message or as a response to this post. Thanks very much.