Mt. St. Helens - too early to go in May?

Thread: Mt. St. Helens - too early to go in May?

08 KLR

Mt. St. Helens - too early to go in May?

I keep meaning to go and ride there, thinking about doing it in the next couple of weeks. Anyone have any thoughts as to whether its too early? Snow and ice on the roads, too cold, etc?
    Transportation is serious business.

2. Remove Advertisements

White Rock
    Ninja 1000
    Which side? There is an west side road and a east side road. If you are heading into the mountains just make sure it is 20 degrees at least. Right now all the mountain passes are good but there is still a little chilly weather hanging around.

Posing with conviction Array heisenberg9's Avatar
    anyone I can lean against
    There is a govt site for Mt. St. Helens and it's road closures/openings. You also should check the PNW Riders forum. They post up about Helens all the time. I would be surprised if Windy Ridge is accessible but you never know. Check it out and report back

Registered User Array Chixdiggit's Avatar
    Sharing accoustical sounds since 2009
    I ride a sportbike... a red one.
    I was there last year at this time (May long weekend) and there was still snow on the side of the road.

The road was wet as you got closer to the obersvation area, but most of the road was dry on the way up. Spectacular road, and awesome sight. It is a bit on the cool side, but we managed to get sun burned.

We did see a couple of motorcycles heading up when we were there and should be doable.

Registered User Array bakwheeltango's Avatar
    Z1000, GSXR1000
    I went up 2 yrs ago on the last weekend of May.
    We were heading north towards home from the Carson side and there was a 3ft snowbank in the middle of the road before the spirit lake viewpoint. The dudes unloading their snowmobiles thought we were fucking hilarious.

we went back south and over and around thru bickleton and Goldendale. great roads thru there.
    Z1000 - GSXR1000