Tues June 1 afternoon S2S sideroads

Thread: Tues June 1 afternoon S2S sideroads

Bike
    2012 CB1000RA

Tues June 1 afternoon S2S sideroads

I'm not working for a couple days, and while I've been doing chores/etc for the morning, the sky is brightening and I'm gonna go riding this afternoon. I plan to ride to Squamish, take stock of the weather and road conditions, and continue as conditions allow. Or come home if it's too wet...

Ideally, I'd like to pop up the Squamish River road, continue north on the S2S, do the Callaghan Creek (ski jump) sideroad, and loop Whistler via Alta Lake Rd. If the afternoon was progressing nicely, I'd have a hard time not carrying on to Pemberton and D'arcy before heading home. I tend to ride more than socialize, and I'll have a bite before I leave, so a lunch stop is not planned. Could be home as early as 3pm, could be as late as 7.

Weather radar shows some showers around Squamish/Whistler now, but that look like it's abating. Drive BC shows damp roads with dry strips starting to form around Squamish.

Meet St Davids church, Taylor Way at Upper levels highway 12:30, leave 12:40. PM me before noon if you want my cell number.

Cheers,
    Don

2. Remove Advertisements
    BCSportBikes.com
    Advertisements

Bike
    FJarrrrrrr!
    Some rain on the cam right now....damn, I need to get out, too much work to do!

Quote Originally Posted by G Hats View Post
    A sore ass is better than a shredded back!

** BIKE NIGHTS 2013 **

Bike
    2012 CB1000RA
    Quote Originally Posted by CHIA View Post
    Some rain on the cam right now....damn, I need to get out, too much work to do!
    i got some of the stuff i needed done this morning, and tomorrow's forecast looks dismal, so i'm gonna procrastinate! as for today's weather, i reckon it's improving, but i'm definitely putting the rain pants in the tailpack, not that i'm gonna ride forever in rain, but there could be a few showers that are 'copeable'.

i'd be nice to have your company if you can steal away...

cheers,

Bike
    2012 CB1000RA
    out the door. short notice, so looks like i'm on my own. will wait at church till 12:40...

cheers,

Bike
    2012 CB1000RA
    nice little outing. 4 hrs door-to-door. went to squamish, carried on to the Callaghan valley road, zipped up there (short and sweet), stopped for a few photos - very relaxed - took in the scenery and a roadside bear. decided to head back south, as it was relatively sunny (dry road) that way and VERY dark and dank looking at Whistler and beyond.

on the callaghan road

alexander falls

the bear, not bothered at all by the passers-by... nice coat, unusual cinnamon colour.

one of the more attractive spots on the S2S, near Daisy Lake

cheers,

'Busa girls, God love 'em Array Argyle's Avatar
    Bike
    06 'Busa
    Awesome.... always like that s2s even though its a law magnet, never seen those falls yet passed by the sign a hundred times....very nice

Registered User Array 4wheelsLESS's Avatar
    Bike
    Only U see my ride
    Yes, awesome pics/ride doser! I wanted to come today but too much work and couldn't make it in time. I would've captured that route on my new GPS! Hope to tag along with you next time!

Bike
    2012 CB1000RA
    Quote Originally Posted by Argyle View Post
    Awesome.... always like that s2s even though its a law magnet, never seen those falls yet passed by the sign a hundred times....very nice
    they're just putting the finishing touches on a new viewing area - new toilets, a good-sized parking area, a fine 'balcony' area with a considerably better view than the old area (it's been many years since i was up there previously). right at the end of the callaghan road (the olympic site itself is closed off over the summer: authorized personnel only...)

if one wanted an excuse for a relaxed day-trip up that way with lotsa 'photo-ops', one could do a nice 'waterfall tour': Shannon Falls (10 min walk), Alexander Falls (2 min), Brandywine Falls (10 min), Nairn Falls (15 min). i might just post something like that up in a week or two if the weather and work co-operate - weekday, not weekend...

cheers,

p.s. one of the reasons to ride the squamish river road is to view little-known Madden Falls, southwest across the valley at the end of the pavement - taller than Shannon Falls, but tumbles thru a series of drops, and a kilometre or so away, so you need binocs to do them justice. all these falls are best in spring /early summer when the runoff is high.
    Last edited by doser; 06-02-2010 at 11:15 AM.

Bike
    2012 CB1000RA
    Quote Originally Posted by 4wheelsLESS View Post
    Hope to tag along with you next time!
    i'd look forward to that...

cheers,

Old Dirty Bastard Array masonjarz's Avatar
    Bike
    Looking for the next one
    Doser, I love your ride reports!

Bike
    2012 CB1000RA
    Quote Originally Posted by masonjarz View Post
    Doser, I love your ride reports!
    thanks - i certainly enjoy the rides themselves, so it's nice to know some of pleasure passes along...