Good Mechanics Courses?

Thread: Good Mechanics Courses?

Registered User Array ZipperZee's Avatar
    It's small, slow and black...

Good Mechanics Courses?

Does anyone have any beginner motorcycle mechanic/maintenance courses to recommend?

I've heard of some offered in BCIT and/or SFU but haven't heard feedback/info on those two locations.

I'm just looking at the basic course, stuff like fluid/oil changes. Not like a engine swap or something.

On a related note, how mechanically inclined would one have to be to install aftermarket parts like full exhaust systems, brake lines, sprockets and jet kits?
    Would a beginner course like the one I mentioned be enough?

2. Remove Advertisements

2012 Cannondale CAAD10 Rival
    PRSMechanic offers a basic course at Pacific Riding School. I understand he has a class this upcoming Saturday!

BCSB Public Relations Array kerunt's Avatar
    Starbucks in turn 2.
    I took the bike maintenance 101 course at PRS (with PRSMechanic) and it was great - covered all the basic maintenance you need to know.

The BCIT/SFU courses you mention are probably much more in-depth and focus on way more than just oil changes.
    "Yamaha" - it's Japanese for "fuck your sports car."

hanging out at timmies Array
    posing with one of my zukes at 7/11
    a suzisomething
    if you're looking at mechanics for a career motorcycle and automotive will give you a frustrating and stressfull job and thats about it. they don't pay well for what you have to put in to it; tools , education,your long term health.
    heavy duty or commercial transport are the way to go you still need the tools, education etc but will get paid very well for it and you will always have work every day 8 hours a day.

Port Coquitlam
    2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R Blue
    Quote Originally Posted by ZipperZee View Post
    On a related note, how mechanically inclined would one have to be to install aftermarket parts like full exhaust systems, brake lines, sprockets and jet kits?
    Would a beginner course like the one I mentioned be enough?
    I highly doubt any beginner course will cover stuff like this. However just a basic knowledge of taking things apart and putting them together, plus the internet and you should be fine. I'm not a mechanic by any means but I would tackle any of those except maybe the jet kits. Just because I hate carbs...

B Town
    SV650s street, Ninja 250r track
    I learned how to do all the maintainance work via youtube
    There's a lot of people that like to share

Registered User Array
    +1 on the PRS mechanic course with Bernie. You will learn lots and learn all you need for basic maintainence of your bike.

101 - great intro, a lot of show and tell
    201 - even better - you change oil, adjust wheel and chain, lube clutch cable on YOUR OWN bike. I learned a lot from this.

There was mention of a 301, but not sure if this course will ever materialize or what it will cover, but I am definetely in if there is a 301.

Wow! Full exhaust, new sprokets - you are really beefing up your 250!
    For such big overhauls, be prepared to have a lot of patience (putting in my non-OEM fairings was extremely frustrating and took close to 10 hours!)

Better than LEGO. Array almost_barbie's Avatar
    Following the Treasure Trail
    Pocket Rocket
    I just did 101, very interesting, tons of info, a bit overwhelming for me. He goes through a ton of stuff. Bernie really seems to know his stuff!

I'm going to do the 201 just because I'm a hands on learner and watching someone do something just doesn't cement it for me.
    My new riding music is RAMMSTEIN.

i don't drag knee, i drag FOOT!

2011 VStrom 650, 1983 KZ750, 2006 WR450, and any racebike I can get my hands on!!
    The PRS 101 is a lot of stuff in 4 hours. A few 'Bart Simpsons' at the end, brain full!
    Still, lots to learn.
    I still can't believe that you can buy a bike that goes 250 km/h with a learner's permit, and they don't even take the time to tell you what tire pressures to run, or how to check your oil.
    The industry needs it's head shaken.

If you are interested, you can email me and I'll let you know when I am running the next ones.

chicken strips are a sign of intelligence
    unless you're at the track ;)
    DO IT!

2009 Red Kawi Ninja 250r
    I took the PRS 101 and it was a good step by step. You even get a nifty handbook you can write notes in

After that I got the service manual and read everything carefully. That's how I cleaned out the carbs, got new sparks in (I fouled them come de-winterizing...), changed the oil + filter, throttle and clutch play. Basically I did what was said in the first service sheet all over again... good way to learn and makes you feel all warm and fuzzy inside when you complete it. Oh and help from youtube for some iffy areas that the manual was a little obscure on.
    (> <)
    This is Bunny.
    Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination...

Map of my Routes so far :D

New to this vlogging concept :)