BP live feed of the work they are doing
Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: BP live feed of the work they are doing

  1. #1
    Lee RideFar Array elevation's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    White Rock
    Ninja 1000

    BP live feed of the work they are doing

    It is not just a live cam of the oil spilling out. There are several different cameras and one we see is the BP is using at that very moment. Right now they are trying to fit a rubber washer over a pipe with two robotic arms. This morning the robot was sea level and some people were working on it. It's not some summer blockbuster movie but it is quite interesting that anyone can see exactly what they are trying to do. Check it out.

    The live feed is pretty good quality too;

  2. #2
    BCSB Public Relations Array kerunt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Starbucks in turn 2.
    That's pretty cool. I have no idea what I'm looking at, but it's floating up and down like a stock exchange.
    "Yamaha" - it's Japanese for "fuck your sports car."

  3. #3
    Self-proclaimed VIP Array digirat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    2011 ZX1000G
    they should just nuke it...

    seriously, watch this

  4. #4
    From N00bie to Wannabe Array FASTn50's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    North Vancouver
    2005 VFR 800A (Red!) 2006 CFR 450X (Red!) 2012 Ninja 250R (Red!) 2012 BMW F800GS (Blue/White)
    I hate to admit it but I've wasted the entire day watching this stuff. I'm transfixed with the anticipation that any minute they will drop the cap on. But, like watching a network TV show with warnings of possible nudity; not much is happening!

    And, talk about armchair quarterbacking: I was constantly wishing I could grab the controls of the ROV's; the operators appear to be so ham-fisted operating the saw and arms!

    This link gives all the different ROV feeds:

    Last edited by FASTn50; 06-03-2010 at 03:25 PM.
    All my Mistresses have two round, sticky black feet and are Made in Japan or Germany!
    If I die on Phillip Island, so what! I'm already in Heaven! WOOHOOO!!!

  5. #5
    Fuh-coffee we will go Array carbonfibrerocket's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Hong Ko-quitlam
    08 GSX1300BK, 03 XR650R
    Bear in mind I dont know a whole lot about exactly what I'm looking at there, but it seems to me like there's not much of a sense of urgency.

    All that oil shooting out and people are on coffee break.

    The Gulf has a bad case of the shits.
    Quote Originally Posted by bottomfeeder View Post
    Big shitty balls of shit, that's a bastard coated bastard with bastard filling

  6. #6
    Registered User Array Jimmbo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    2007 R6
    Oops, posted this in the other thread (http://www.bcsportbikes.com/forum/sh...=121820&page=4)

    Anyway, looks like they are moving the cap into place right now. Below are links to the 3 ROV's moving it into place.




  7. #7
    Lee RideFar Array elevation's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    White Rock
    Ninja 1000
    Good news everyone! We will be driving cars that run on water next year!

    Bad news... The water comes form the gulf of mexico

    Quote Originally Posted by carbonfibrerocket View Post
    Bear in mind I dont know a whole lot about exactly what I'm looking at there, but it seems to me like there's not much of a sense of urgency.
    Have you ever scuba dived before? It is impossible to do anything fast. While BP could have done ALOT MORE to get this contained. Working in the deep sea must be a logistics nightmare.

  8. #8
    farmer Array zamaris's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    mini bike

    BP is SCREWED.....

    This is a story from one of the survivors on the rig, BP will try to unsubstantiate his claims, but OSHA won't.... They have a bigger stick.

    Hope this works. (Long read)

    BP Explosion in the Gulf of Mexico - April 2010

    The gusher unleashed in the Gulf of Mexico continues to spew crude oil. There are no
    reliable estimates of how much oil is pouring into the gulf. But it comes to many
    millions of gallons since the catastrophic blowout. Eleven men were killed in the
    explosions that sank one of the most sophisticated drilling rigs in the world, the
    "Deepwater Horizon."

    This week Congress continues its investigation, but Capitol Hill has not heard from the
    man "60 Minutes" correspondent Scott Pelley met: Mike Williams, one of the last
    crewmembers to escape the inferno.

    He says the destruction of the Deepwater Horizon had been building for weeks in a
    series of mishaps. The night of the disaster, he was in his workshop when he heard
    the rig's engines suddenly run wild. That was the moment that explosive gas was
    shooting across the decks, being sucked into the engines that powered the rig's

    "I hear the engines revving. The lights are glowing. I'm hearing the alarms. I mean,
    they're at a constant state now. It's just, 'Beep, beep, beep, beep, beep.' It doesn't
    stop. But even that's starting to get drowned out by the sound of the engine
    increasing in speed. And my lights get so incredibly bright that they physically
    explode. I'm pushing my way back from the desk when my computer monitor
    exploded," Williams told Pelley.

    The rig was destroyed on the night of April 20. Ironically, the end was coming only
    months after the rig's greatest achievement.

    Mike Williams was the chief electronics technician in charge of the rig's computers and
    electrical systems. And seven months before, he had helped the crew drill the deepest
    oil well in history, 35,000 feet.

    "It was special. There's no way around it. Everyone was talking about it. The
    congratulations that were flowing around, it made you feel proud to work there," he

    Williams worked for the owner, Transocean, the largest offshore drilling company.
    Like its sister rigs, the Deepwater Horizon cost $350 million, rose 378 feet from
    bottom to top. Both advanced and safe, none of her 126 crew had been seriously
    injured in seven years.

    The safety record was remarkable, because offshore drilling today pushes technology
    with challenges matched only by the space program.

    Deepwater Horizon was in 5,000 feet of water and would drill another 13,000 feet, a
    total of three miles. The oil and gas down there are under enormous pressure. And
    the key to keeping that pressure under control is this fluid that drillers call "mud."

    "Mud" is a manmade drilling fluid that's pumped down the well and back up the sides
    in continuous circulation. The sheer weight of this fluid keeps the oil and gas down
    and the well under control.

    The tension in every drilling operation is between doing things safely and doing them
    fast; time is money and this job was costing BP a million dollars a day. But Williams
    says there was trouble from the start - getting to the oil was taking too long.

    Williams said they were told it would take 21 days; according to him, it actually took
    six weeks.

    With the schedule slipping, Williams says a BP manager ordered a faster pace.

    "And he requested to the driller, 'Hey, let's bump it up. Let's bump it up.' And what
    he was talking about there is he's bumping up the rate of penetration. How fast the
    drill bit is going down," Williams said.

    Williams says going faster caused the bottom of the well to split open, swallowing
    tools and that drilling fluid called "mud."

    "We actually got stuck. And we got stuck so bad we had to send tools down into the
    drill pipe and sever the pipe," Williams explained.

    That well was abandoned and Deepwater Horizon had to drill a new route to the oil. It
    cost BP more than two weeks and millions of dollars.

    "We were informed of this during one of the safety meetings, that somewhere in the
    neighborhood of $25 million was lost in bottom hole assembly and 'mud.' And you
    always kind of knew that in the back of your mind when they start throwing these big
    numbers around that there was gonna be a push coming, you know? A push to pick
    up production and pick up the pace," Williams said.

    Asked if there was pressure on the crew after this happened, Williams told Pelley,

    "There's always pressure, but yes, the pressure was increased."

    But the trouble was just beginning: when drilling resumed, Williams says there was
    an accident on the rig that has not been reported before. He says, four weeks before
    the explosion, the rig's most vital piece of safety equipment was damaged.

    Down near the seabed is the blowout preventer, or BOP. It's used to seal the well
    shut in order to test the pressure and integrity of the well, and, in case of a blowout,
    it's the crew's only hope. A key component is a rubber gasket at the top called an
    "annular," which can close tightly around the drill pipe.

    Williams says, during a test, they closed the gasket. But while it was shut tight, a
    crewman on deck accidentally nudged a joystick, applying hundreds of thousands of
    pounds of force, and moving 15 feet of drill pipe through the closed blowout
    preventer. Later, a man monitoring drilling fluid rising to the top made a troubling

    "He discovered chunks of rubber in the drilling fluid. He thought it was important
    enough to gather this double handful of chunks of rubber and bring them into the
    driller shack. I recall asking the supervisor if this was out of the ordinary. And he
    says, 'Oh, it's no big deal.' And I thought, 'How can it be not a big deal? There's

    chunks of our seal is now missing,'" Williams told Pelley.

    And, Williams says, he knew about another problem with the blowout preventer.

    The BOP is operated from the surface by wires connected to two control pods; one is
    a back-up. Williams says one pod lost some of its function weeks before.

    Transocean tells us the BOP was tested by remote control after these incidents and
    passed. But nearly a mile below, there was no way to know how much damage there
    was or whether the pod was unreliable.

    In the hours before the disaster, Deepwater Horizon's work was nearly done. All that
    was left was to seal the well closed. The oil would be pumped out by another rig later.
    Williams says, that during a safety meeting, the manager for the rig owner,
    Transocean, was explaining how they were going to close the well when the manager
    from BP interrupted.

    "I had the BP company man sitting directly beside me. And he literally perked up and
    said 'Well my process is different. And I think we're gonna do it this way.' And they
    kind of lined out how he thought it should go that day. So there was short of a chest-
    bumping kind of deal. The communication seemed to break down as to who was
    ultimately in charge," Williams said.

    On the day of the accident, several BP managers were on the Deepwater Horizon for
    a ceremony to congratulate the crew for seven years without an injury. While they
    where there, a surge of explosive gas came flying up the well from three miles below.
    The rig's diesel engines which power its electric generators sucked in the gas and
    began to run wild.

    "I'm hearing hissing. Engines are over-revving. And then all of a sudden, all the lights
    in my shop just started getting brighter and brighter and brighter. And I knew then
    something bad was getting ready to happen," Williams told Pelley.

    It was almost ten at night. And directly under the Deepwater Horizon there were four
    men in a fishing boat, Albert Andry, Dustin King, Ryan Chaisson and Westley Bourg.

    "When I heard the gas comin' out, I knew exactly what it was almost immediately,"
    Bourg recalled.

    "When the gas cloud was descending on you, what was that like?" Pelley asked.

    "It was scary. And when I looked at it, it burned my eyes. And I knew we had to get
    out of there," Andry recalled.

    Andry said he knew the gas was methane.

    On the rig, Mike Williams was reaching for a door to investigate the engine noise.

    "These are three inch thick, steel, fire-rated doors with six stainless steel hinges
    supporting 'em on the frame. As I reach for the handle, I heard this awful hissing
    noise, this whoosh. And at the height of the hiss, a huge explosion. The explosion

    literally rips the door from the hinges, hits, impacts me and takes me to the other
    side of the shop. And I'm up against a wall, when I finally come around, with a door
    on top of me. And I remember thinking to myself, 'You know, this, this is it. I'm
    gonna die right here,'" Williams remembered.

    Meanwhile, the men on the fishing boat had a camera, capturing the flames on the

    "I began to crawl across the floor. As I got to the next door, it exploded. And took
    me, the door, and slid me about 35 feet backwards again. And planted me up against
    another wall. At that point, I actually got angry. I was mad at the doors. I was mad
    that these fire doors that are supposed to protect me are hurting me. And at that
    point, I made a decision. 'I'm going to get outside. I may die out there, but I'm gonna
    get outside.' So I crawl across the grid work of the floor and make my way to that
    opening, where I see the light. I made it out the door and I thought to myself, 'I've
    accomplished what I set out to accomplish. I made it outside. At least now I can
    breathe. I may die out here, but I can breathe,'" Williams said.

    Williams couldn't see; something was pouring into his eyes and that's when he
    noticed a gash in his forehead.

    "I didn't know if it was blood. I didn't know if it was brains. I didn't know if it was
    flesh. I didn't know what it was. I just knew there was, I was, I was in trouble. At
    that point I grabbed a lifejacket, I was on the aft lifeboat deck there were two
    functioning lifeboats at my disposal right there. But I knew I couldn't board them. I
    had responsibilities," he remembered.

    His responsibility was to report to the bridge, the rig's command center.

    "I'm hearing alarms. I'm hearing radio chatter, 'May day! May day! We've lost
    propulsion! We've lost power! We have a fire! Man overboard on the starboard
    forward deck,'" Williams remembered.

    Williams says that, on the bridge, he watched them try to activate emergency
    systems. "The BOP that was supposed to protect us and keep us from the blowout
    obviously had failed. And now, the emergency disconnect to get us away from this
    fuel source has failed. We have no communications to the BOP," he explained.

    "And I see one of the lifeboats in the water, and it's motoring away from the vessel. I
    looked at the captain and asked him. I said, 'What's going on?' He said, 'I've given
    the order to abandon ship,'" Williams said.

    Every Sunday they had practiced lifeboat drills and the procedure for making sure
    everyone was accounted for. But in the panic all that went to hell. The lifeboats were

    "They're leaving without you?" Pelley asked.

    "They have left, without the captain and without knowing that they had everyone that
    had survived all this onboard. I've been left now by two lifeboats. And I look at the
    captain and I said, 'What do we do now? By now, the fire is not only on the derrick,

    it's starting to spread to the deck. At that point, there were several more explosions,
    large, intense explosions," Williams said.

    Asked what they felt and sounded like, Williams said, "It's just take-your-breath-away
    type explosions, shake your body to the core explosions. Take your vision away from
    the percussion of the explosions."

    About eight survivors were left on the rig. They dropped an inflatable raft from a
    crane, but with only a few survivors on the raft, it was launched, leaving Williams,
    another man, and a crewwoman named Andrea.

    "I remember looking at Andrea and seeing that look in her eyes. She had quit. She
    had given up. I remember her saying, 'I'm scared.' And I said, 'It's okay to be scared.
    I'm scared too.' She said, 'What are we gonna do?' I said, 'We're gonna burn up. Or
    we're gonna jump,'" Williams remembered.

    Williams estimates it was a 90-100 foot jump down.

    In the middle of the night, with blood in his eyes, fire at his back and the sea ten
    stories below, Williams made his choice.

    "I remember closing my eyes and sayin' a prayer, and asking God to tell my wife and
    my little girl that Daddy did everything he could and if, if I survive this, it's for a
    reason. I made those three steps, and I pushed off the end of the rig. And I fell for
    what seemed like forever. A lotta things go through your mind," he remembered.

    With a lifejacket, Williams jumped feet first off the deck and away from the inferno.
    He had witnessed key events before the disaster. But if he was going to tell anyone,
    he would have to survive a ten-story drop into the sea.

    "I went down way, way below the surface, obviously. And when I popped back up, I
    felt like, 'Okay, I've made it.' But I feel this God-awful burning all over me. And I'm
    thinking, 'Am I on fire?' You know, I just don't know. So I start doin' the only thing I
    know to do, swim. I gotta start swimmin', I gotta get away from this thing. I could
    tell I was floatin' in oil and grease and, and diesel fuel. I mean, it's just the smell and
    the feel of it," Williams remembered.

    "And I remember lookin' under the rig and seein' the water on fire. And I thought,
    'What have you done? You were dry, and you weren't covered in oil up there, now
    you've jumped and you've made this, and you've landed in oil. The fire's gonna come
    across the water, and you're gonna burn up.' And I thought, 'You just gotta swim
    harder.' So I swam, and I kicked and I swam and I kicked and I swam as hard as I
    could until I remember not feelin' any more pain, and I didn't hear anything. And I
    thought, 'Well, I must have burned up, 'cause I don't feel anything, I don't hear
    anything, I don't smell anything. I must be dead.' And I remember a real faint voice
    of, 'Over here, over here.' I thought, 'What in the world is that?' And the next thing I
    know, he grabbed my lifejacket and flipped me over into this small open bow boat. I
    didn't know who he was, I didn't know where he'd come from, I didn't care. I was
    now out of the water," he added.

    Williams' survival may be critical to the investigation. We took his story to Dr. Bob

    Bea, a professor of engineering at the University of California, Berkeley.

    Last week, the White House asked Bea to help analyze the Deepwater Horizon
    accident. Bea investigated the Columbia Space Shuttle disaster for NASA and the
    Hurricane Katrina disaster for the National Science Foundation. Bea's voice never
    completely recovered from the weeks he spent in the flood in New Orleans. But as the
    White House found, he's among the nation's best, having investigated more than 20
    offshore rig disasters.

    "Mr. Williams comes forward with these very detailed elements from his viewpoint on
    a rig. That's a brave and intelligent man," Bea told Pelley.

    "What he's saying is very important to this investigation, you believe?" Pelley asked.

    "It is," the professor replied.

    What strikes Bea is Williams' description of the blowout preventer. Williams says in a
    drilling accident four weeks before the explosion, the critical rubber gasket, called an
    "annular," was damaged and pieces of it started coming out of the well.

    "According to Williams, when parts of the annular start coming up on the deck
    someone from Transocean says, ‘Look, don't worry about it.' What does that tell
    you?" Pelley asked.

    "Houston we have a problem," Bea replied.

    Here's why that's so important: the annular is used to seal the well for pressure tests.
    And those tests determine whether dangerous gas is seeping in.

    "So if the annular is damaged, if I understand you correctly, you can't do the pressure
    tests in a reliable way?" Pelley asked.

    "That's correct. You may get pressure test recordings, but because you're leaking
    pressure, they are not reliable," Bea explained.

    Williams also told us that a backup control system to the blowout preventer called a
    pod had lost some of its functions.

    "What is the standard operating procedure if you lose one of the control pods?" Pelley

    "Reestablish it, fix it. It's like losing one of your legs," Bea said.

    "The morning of the disaster, according to Williams, there was an argument in front
    of all the men on the ship between the Transocean manager and the BP manager. Do
    you know what that argument is about?" Pelley asked.

    Bea replied, "Yes," telling Pelley the argument was about who was the boss.

    In finishing the well, the plan was to have a subcontractor, Halliburton, place three
    concrete plugs, like corks, in the column. The Transocean manager wanted to do this

    with the column full of heavy drilling fluid - what drillers call "mud" - to keep the
    pressure down below contained. But the BP manager wanted to begin to remove the
    "mud" before the last plug was set. That would reduce the pressure controlling the
    well before the plugs were finished.

    Asked why BP would do that, Bea told Pelley, "It expedites the subsequent steps."

    "It's a matter of going faster," Pelley remarked.

    "Faster, sure," Bea replied.
    Bea said BP had won that argument.
    "If the 'mud' had been left in the column, would there have been a blowout?" Pelley

    "It doesn't look like it," Bea replied.
    To do it BP's way, they had to be absolutely certain that the first two plugs were

    keeping the pressure down. That life or death test was done using the blowout

    preventer which Mike Williams says had a damaged gasket.

    Investigators have also found the BOP had a hydraulic leak and a weak battery.

    "Weeks before the disaster they know they are drilling in a dangerous formation, the
    formation has told them that," Pelley remarked.

    "Correct," Bea replied.

    "And has cost them millions of dollars. And the blowout preventer is broken in a
    number of ways," Pelley remarked.

    "Correct," Bea replied.

    Asked what would be the right thing to do at that point, Bea said, "I express it to my
    students this way, 'Stop, think, don't do something stupid.'"

    They didn't stop. As the drilling fluid was removed, downward pressure was relieved;
    the bottom plug failed. The blowout preventer didn't work. And 11 men were
    incinerated; 115 crewmembers survived.

    And two days later, the Deepwater Horizon sank to the bottom.

    This was just the latest disaster for a company that is the largest oil producer in the
    United States. BP, once known as British Petroleum, was found willfully negligent in a
    2005 Texas refinery explosion that killed of its 15 workers. BP was hit with $108
    million in fines - the highest workplace safety fines in U.S. history.

    Now, there is new concern about another BP facility in the Gulf: a former BP insider
    tells us the platform "Atlantis" is a greater threat than the Deepwater Horizon.

    Ken Abbott has worked for Shell and GE. And in 2008 he was hired by BP to manage
    thousands of engineering drawings for the Atlantis platform.

    "They serve as blueprints and also as a operator manual, if you will, on how to make
    this work, and more importantly how to shut it down in an emergency," Abbott

    But he says he found that 89 percent of those critical drawings had not been
    inspected and approved by BP engineers. Even worse, he says 95 percent of the
    underwater welding plans had never been approved either.

    "Are these welding procedures supposed to be approved in the paperwork before the
    welds are done?" Pelley asked.

    "Absolutely. Yeah," Abbott replied. “They’re critical."

    Abbott's charges are backed up by BP internal e-mails. In 2008, BP manager Barry
    Duff wrote that the lack of approved drawings could result in "catastrophic operator
    errors," and "currently there are hundreds if not thousands of Subsea documents that
    have never been finalized."

    Duff called the practice "fundamentally wrong."

    "I've never seen this kind of attitude, where safety doesn't seem to matter and when
    you complain of a problem like Barry did and like I did and try to fix it, you're just
    criticized and pushed aside," Abbott said.

    Abbott was laid off. He took his concerns to a consumer advocacy group called Food &
    Water Watch. They're asking Congress to investigate. And he is filing suit in an
    attempt to force the federal government to shut down Atlantis.

    "The Atlantis is still pumping away out there--200,000 barrels a day, and it will be
    four times that in a year or two when they put in all 16 wells. If something happens
    there, it will make the Deepwater Horizon look like a bubble in the water by
    comparison," Abbott said.

    In an e-mail, BP told us the Atlantis crew has all the documents it needs to run the
    platform safely. We also wanted BP's perspective on the Deepwater Horizon disaster.

    The company scheduled an interview with its CEO, Tony Hayward. Then, they
    cancelled, saying no one at BP could sit down with "60 Minutes" for this report.

    In other interviews, Hayward says this about Transocean, the owner of the Deepwater
    Horizon: "The responsibility for safety on the drilling rig is with Transocean. It is their
    rig, their equipment, their people, their systems, their safety processes."

    "When BP's chief executive Tony Hayward says, 'This is Transocean’s accident,' what
    do you say?" Pelley asked Professor Bea.

    "I get sick. This kind of division in the industry is a killer. The industry is comprised of
    many organizations. And they all share the responsibility for successful operations.

    And to start placing, we'll call it these barriers, and pointing fingers at each other, is

    totally destructive," he replied.

    Asked who is responsible for the Deepwater Horizon accident, Bea said, "BP."

    We went out on the Gulf and found mats of thick floating oil. No one has a fix on how
    much oil is shooting out of the well. But some of the best estimates suggest it's the
    equivalent of the Exxon Valdez spill every four to seven days. Scientists are now
    reporting vast plumes of oil up to ten miles long under the surface.

    The spill has cost BP about $500 million so far. But consider, in just the first three
    months this year, BP made profits of $6 billion.

    There are plenty of accusations to go around that BP pressed for speed, Halliburton's
    cement plugs failed, and Transocean damaged the blowout preventer.

    Through all the red flags, they pressed ahead. It was, after all, the Deepwater
    Horizon, the world record holder, celebrated as among the safest in the fleet.

    "Men lost their lives," survivor Mike Williams told Pelley. "I don't know how else to say
    it. All the things that they told us could never happen happened."

    read this

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts