Spokane Motorsports Park, Spokane WA May 30, 2010

ONBOARD HD Video Documentary available at irnieracing.com

Superbike racer Marcel Irnie of Kelowna enjoyed a productive, albeit abbreviated trip to Washington State for a May 30th race at Spokane Motorsports Park. Leading up to the weekend, weather forecasts predicted wet, stormy weather for the Saturday race, but pleasant conditions for Sunday. Irnie opted to skip the Saturday races and instead get set for Sunday. His decision paid off as Sunday turned out to be sunny and relatively pleasant. Irnie had considered saving his resources and skipping Spokane altogether, but felt that he needed to get more racing under his belt before the Calgary Superbike National on June 26th. As Marcel had not been to the Spokane track in over a year, he would have to relearn the nuances of the technical racecourse.

For the first practice, Irnie rode his 2008 zx-6r for the first time in 2010 under dry conditions. Irnie had been using his 2005 unit for his previous races. The 2008 model had been revamped with a fresh engine top-end courtesy of Scott from Munro Cylinder Heads and front suspension re-working from Dave Alexander of Fluid Suspension Science. Says Irnie, "Riding for the first time on the '08 felt really weird. The bike's springs are much softer then my '05, changing the dynamics of trail braking and mid corner lean angle under throttle application. I haven't been to Spokane in a year, so I had to relearn the track, and figure out how to brake and turn in for turn 1-2; a very tricky section."

The combination of riding the seldom-used '08 and the relatively unfamiliar track left Irnie with a tentative 1:36 lap time in practice one. Before practice two, Irnie removed some preload from the front suspension and increased the rebound damping to the back shock. This improved the feel of the bike and Irnie was able to clock a 1:34.

The first race of the day was the 750 Superbike class. Irnie started from the back of the grid on the 2008 unit. His next race would be the 600 Superbike class which was starting a mere 20 minutes after the 750 race. His 2005 zx-6rr was prepped, fitted with tire-warmers and ready for the next race. Irnie rode a methodical and uneventful race, making up 5 spots and finishing 14th of 20 riders. His fastest lap was a 1:33:789 with a 95.960 MPH average speed. Irnie had just enough time to switch the GoPro cameras and GPS lap timer to the 05 unit. Luckily, Marcel has been training diligently with personal trainer Ryan Brown from World Gym. This has enabled Marcel to race back to back races without feeling too exhausted.

Irnie would also start from the back row for the 600 Superbike race. He executed a magnificent start, passing over half of the pack by the time the race roared through turns one and two. As Irnie moved up to 6th spot, chaos ensued as two riders made contact in turn six. Irnie recounted, "Riders are everywhere; complete mayhem indeed! One rider takes out another rider because he missed his braking point or something." Irnie was running four GoPro Cameras mounted on his bike/helmet and filmed a clear shot of the crash which is included in his race documentary available at Irnieracing.com.

As Irnie slowed to film the carnage, Mike MacConaghy slipped by to grab 6th spot, followed by Wendy Leber who drafted Marcel on Spokane's huge straightaway. Wendy made it by Greg Gibson in the hair pin with Marcel following closely. Marcel battled back and forth with Gibson for the remainder of the race. Irnie finally made a pass stick and he towed Gibson to the finish. Irnies official result was 8th position with a fastest lap of 1:33.450 with 96.308 MPH Average speed.

At the end of the day, the 2005 zx-6rr was .338 faster than the 2008 unit. Irnie offers, The 05 has more torque, but the 08 seems to have a good top end. Both excel in different areas, but I think Ill run the 05 in Calgary. More testing is ahead and Ill figure out more in Calgary practice. Irnie looks forward to putting both bikes on the dyno at Calgary to see where they currently stand.

It was then back to Kelowna for repairs and video editing. The next event for Marcel Irnie is at Pacific Raceways, Kent Washington on June 12-13. This will be the final tune-up before the Calgary round of the Parts Canada series.

Irnieracing.com would like to extend special thanks to Todd from Advanced Motorcycle Gear for supplying Marcel with a new set of Falco gloves on warranty after Marcels 130kmph crash at the end of April. Says Marcel, This is the best warranty policy Ive encountered since I learned about AMSOIL's.

Marcel would also like to thank Canadian GoPro distributer Pointofviewcameras.ca for quickly shipping Marcel more cameras before Spokane. This allowed Marcel to run a 4-6 camera setup. "Four cameras was great, but I think I'll run a five camera setup next round. I'm addicted to my GoPro's...everything must be documented!"

Irnieracing.com is supported by: AMSOIL Synthetics, Blue Streak Racing, British Columbia Trailer, EBC Brakes, Fluid Suspension Science, GoPro, Kreater, Magna-Tech Services, Muller Motorsports, Munro Cylinder Heads, Pinnacle Physiotherapy, World Gym Kelowna, and Valley Moto Sport