Advice to new riders - When did you first crash - why?
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Advice to new riders - When did you first crash - why?

Federal Protection Array shadow's Avatar
    Gixxa K5/1000

Advice to new riders - When did you first crash - why?

I would like to start this therad in General as it will ge the most exposure for responses although the intended audience is the new riders.

When did you first crash? Why....

The information I am trying to convey is when in your riding career did you first crash, why.

Example response would be

Season/Year 2
    Reason : riding beyond current limits

Season/Year 3

Reason: Debris on road/travelling to fast for conditions

Try to give an accurate representation of the reason

I am not looking for detailed stories... just bullet points.

I am trying to see if it is true that most crashes occur "after" your first season, and if it is mostly due to the fact most riders have confidence but not experience.

I have seen a couple studies where it show year 2 and 3 to be the most likley crash years....

Tip overs don't count as a crash.

Thanks for your help.
    God invented Litre Class so everybody would have a chance to chase some tail!

2. Remove Advertisements

Self-proclaimed VIP Array digirat's Avatar
    2011 ZX1000G
    technically, it was season 2, but still within the first year of riding. rookie mistake. went into a corner too fast and instead of trying to out-turn the corner, i tried to out-brake it... didn't work so well.

wait, what am i talking about. i've never crashed

Eh Muh Gawd Becky!! Array Purplekawi's Avatar
    my front room
    somethin somethin somethin
    My first crash was season 26 and it was cause I was going really fast.
    That that doesn't kill us forces us to live with a busted up bike!!

Moderator Array CoolDaddyGroove's Avatar
    New West
    2014 Kawasaki ZX14R
    First crash season 10 or so. Reason: dragging knee on Duffy going in to Lillooet on one the hairpins. Diesel spill in corner. Low side, body slides 90 feet into concrete wall, break ankle. No damage to body otherwize (full leathers). Bike slides 190 feet into concrete wall, toast. But still got back on it and road it to the hospital, flat tire, bent rims, broken shifters, levers, smashed bodywork and all.

Registered User Array Son of Lars's Avatar
    01 Honda RC51
    First crash was season 2. 40kmh lowside on my way to work 1 morning. Early spring in Ontario, lots of sand and gravel still on the road. Hit a huge patch of it and she went down.

2005 Hondabago
    Season one downhill wet grass.

- cruiser. locked the rear, failed the turn. I parked behind the house.
    Last edited by schmii; 06-09-2010 at 08:40 AM.
    Look not for happiness around the corner. Happiness is the corner. IBA#42642

Vancouver, BC
    2009 Ninja 250
    Quote Originally Posted by schmii View Post
    Season one downhill wet grass.
    Dirt bike???

....pnɔʇ ʇɐdǝ.... Array duct_tape's Avatar
    naked twin
    Season 2
    First rain ride of the season. Pulled over into a bus stop downtown and put on a rain jacket, pulled away and the rear jacknifed sideways on the oily road surface (heavily crowned road near granville and davie). Tossed me right over the bars when she snapped back with traction.
    Most amazing 20km/h highside ever.
    Bent my rear brake lever and lost a turn signal
    2007 Aprilia Tuono
    2002 Kawasaki ZX-6R - TRACK
    1988 Yamaha Virago 250 - SOLD
    1982 Kawasaki GPz550 - Sold

Quote Originally Posted by Android View Post
    That's not snow. That's Awesome residue. You have to wipe it off Aprilias every few days...

2009 Suzuki SV650SA
    Just one or two weeks out of PRS, made the mistake of applying front brake in a right turn and lowsided at 20-30km/h. Make sure you're at the correct speed/gear before entering the turn!
    '09 Candy Thunder Blue Kawasaki Ninja 250R (now the wife's)
    '09 Grey Suzuki SV650SA

Maple Ridge
    Sold my bike to fund school :(
    Year 2, low side on gravel in a low speed turn. Was wearing full leathers, no injuries. Lesson learned: if the road you are on had some gravel a way back, there's a chance there might be more gravel up ahead. Don't push it too hard.

Year 3, went over the back of a wheelie, OOPS! Was wearing leather jacket but jeans this time. Got some road rash, and injured my ankle (though I was wearing my riding boots). Lesson learned: don't push your luck.

Year 4, faster low side than the first one after hitting some oil in a turn. Narrowly missed getting hit by an oncoming truck. Was wearing full gear. Just injured my hand. Lesson learned: a patch of oil smaller than you can see when riding is all you need to go down. Choose when to push it and take it easy when there's a big truck coming towards you.

I would say that my first and second crashes were definitely overconfidence. The third one, yes if I had been going more slowly I might have seen the oil, or might not have gone down if I hit it. But I wouldn't say it was overconfidence, more just not being aware that there was oil on the road. But I certainly didn't have any crashes due to over confidence in my first year, but then did after that (year 3 wheelie crash was more over confident than year 2 crash, if that helps).
    Last edited by denham; 06-09-2010 at 08:39 AM.

Old Dirty Bastard Array masonjarz's Avatar
    White Rock
    2008 Honda XR650L
    Year 1 circa 1981 hit a patch of gravel in a corner and low-sided the bike.
    She looked like Olivia Newton John, if she were really ugly, and had huge balls.

Grand Cayman Isle.
    Fireblade Repsol SP . CB599 - Hornet , Ducati M1200S
    season one

Some car run the stop sign as i was turning right.

action- i panic , hit the front brake while cornering.

result - i fell on my ass ...

lesson learn - DON"T PANIC !!!!!!!
    "BTW, How do you say "In the name of Bhudda, get the fuck out of the left lane" in Mandarin and Cantonese? "- OneTrack

season one: (of street riding) tones of dirt time before)

tryed to catwalk under a truck!

F350's take a long time to stop when they drag you down the road by your head!
    Curent Ride
    08 Husky smr450
    kx 450f
    You are 100% Pure Awesome!

Street:SV1000S Race:Ninja 250R, CBR600 F3, DRZ125
    Year 4, Overconfidence. Too fast for my skills into a decreasing radius corner on a road I didn't know. Slid the bike into the barrier, (which was good because on the other side was a lake!) picked it up and kept going.
    Some people are like Slinkies ...
    Not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

TwinBrosRacing <-click
    WMRC & PCMRC #19
    WMRC President

Registered User Array Pipes1977's Avatar
    2004 Triumph Daytona 600 & 1989 Yamaha FZR400
    Season 2 / Year 1,

Event: Lowsided (~45km/hr, was merging) emergency braking for tandem dumptruck cutting a wide turn out of the left lane on Fraser Hwy into a construction site.

Aftermath: Full gear, no scrapes, bruised ego.

Lesson Learned: Give big trucks big room.