Tire size

Thread: Tire size

Aka - Dustin Makokov Array easyian's Avatar
    2008 Buell 1125R

Tire size

I have to replace my rear tire. Currently running Pilot Power 2CT ft and rear on my Buell 1125R. I am going to replace the rear with the same to keep matched tires.

In the rear I have a 185/55/17 and have the option to run a 190. Is there any benefit to running a wider tire in the rear?

Right now I do a lot of 2 up riding and have burned the center out of my tire even with bumping up the air to about 44 psi with passenger. when i'm riding 1 up I get to do a lot of hard twisty riding with the group but also commute on my bike. Any thoughts would be great.

2. Remove Advertisements

I don't know on your specific bike, but bumping up to a 190 may look cool but doubt it would help the center running out fast and may slow steering down (as a 190/50 is flater profile than a 180/55). If you can fit a 190/55 you will have a comparable profile to the 180 but it may not fit, have to check Buell specific sites.

If you are doing 2 up riding, some commuting, and some aggressive riding, you might be better off going with a different tire, not a different size. The Powers or PP2CT are awesome tires, but something like a Pilot Road 2 (harder center compound, basically Pilot Power rubber on the shoulders) may be a better fit for the riding you do.

And I know some people swear by having the stickiest tires possible, I have ridden hard on various sport touring rubber on various bikes and had no issues, I just end up changing the tires less!

Registered User Array
    More than one
    What wheel size do you have? If its less than 6.0 inches I'd stay with what came on the bike. In fact, I'd just replace like for like.

If you're looking for better mileage you might try the Pilot Road as already suggested.

Hint: Try not to overthink this. It won't make THAT much of a difference.

Eh Muh Gawd Becky!! Array Purplekawi's Avatar
    my front room
    somethin somethin somethin
    On the streets......run either a 180/55 or a 190/50. You won't notice any difference. Try the Road 2 from Michelin or perhaps the new Pirelli Angel ST.
    That that doesn't kill us forces us to live with a busted up bike!!