TLs and RCs and Ducs, oh my!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: TLs and RCs and Ducs, oh my!

Bike
    '09 Bandit SEA

TLs and RCs and Ducs, oh my!

Hey all. As you can see from my profile (and as some of you know), I ride a 2000 R6 right now. I'm thinking of stepping up to a big twin - RC51 or TL1000R being, of course, top of the list. Naturally, the Ducs are also an option (if you consider twice the price a real option) - but I've sort of decided that I'm going to stay away from the tool invesetment that the Duc represents ( ).

Anyone know if there's an '02 TL1000R sitting in a dealership somewhere that's dying for an owner? I can't find any info about an '03 model on Suzuki Canada's website. We don't get them anymore, or what?

Anyone here have experience on both machines? What are their strengths/weaknesses? Personally, I find the RC51 to be a more attractive bike, but looks aren't the most important factor to me today. I want something fast and reliable, then comfortable, then pretty (that order of importance).

TL/RC owners done any kind of touring? What is the range of each on a tank of fuel? What's your insurance like?

Overwhelm me with stats

Thanks,

-Matt

2. Remove Advertisements
    BCSportBikes.com
    Advertisements

Bike
    2003 GSXR 1000
    no more TL's for 03
    R.I.P. - Corey(Xyban)

Not Hanging Out Here Array Sailor's Avatar
    Bike
    1978 Twinstar 185
    Give a call to North Shore Yamaha Suzuki, they may have something there. Next time I'm in I can check.
    I ride purely, and only, because it is fun.

I ride because I love freedom, independence, and the movement of the ground beneath me.

**author unknown**

Karl Hungus
    TL engine gets a new home in the new Sv1000, so it's good news if you can afford one. The Sv650 has a massive cult following, and the aftermarket options are huge. I think the SV1000 will build on this and it will be a storming bike with loads of potential.

Registered User Array
    Bike
    I'm not telling, but Atom isn't allowed near it.
    RMS has an '02 Blue/White TLR on the floor..

Go talk to Eugene on a Saturday or talk to Rob any day upstairs in accessories and tell him I sent ya.

There are many Twin threads on the board, just go cruising.

Fuel Mileage isn't the greatest. Litre bike insurance. GOBS of torque.

Jim.

Bike
    '09 Bandit SEA
    Jim- I'm geographically challenged.

I live in Kelowna

Thanks for the tip though - what's RMS' phone number?

[edit]

...and Karl, thanks for the tip on the SV1000S. Pretty nice looking scoot!

-Matt
    Last edited by jonesboy; 03-05-2003 at 03:42 PM.

Registered User Array
    Bike
    I'm not telling, but Atom isn't allowed near it.
    my bad...

RMS (Richmond Motorsports) (604) 276-8513 ask to talk to Rob in accessories.. let him know I sent ya, and that you're from BCsportbikes. He'll get you the best deal he can.

Jim.

Bike
    98 Suzuki TLS
    I'm posting a link to another recently posted thread asking about Twins.

Fuel range on mine reached 200 before I had to fill up and after remapping for a little more smoothness and midrange power it goes to 180-190 before having to fill up. If you really honk on it twins can use up tanks as fast as 140kms

Insurance is what you'd pay for any 1000cc bike even if you tell them you'll ride slowly.

Current twin thread

Also, there was pretty much the exact same question posted on tlplanet.com from a guy who owns a Katana 750. He was very discriminating and wanted hard facts as to why he should buy a twin. He wanted to get at the heart of why Twin owners love their bikes. Great debate. Anybody interested in what TL's have to offer can go here.

Tlplanet.com thread

Between the RC and the TL, I believe the RC is faster if you go by pure states, but less comfortable. As for reliability, Honda quality has a better reputation than Suzuki for what its worth. I can't tell ya if one is more reliable than the other for these particular models.

Sewman's opinion: I think TL engines just have more mojo and bark.
    Last edited by Sewman; 03-05-2003 at 04:07 PM.
    I love my squared off tyres. Torque rules.

Bike
    like everybody said above....

but the TLR's are not discontinued yet. The american's are still getting a 2003 TLR, suzuki even changed the colors of the forks and calipers. But the canadian market is not getting any 2003 TLR's. So you're stuck with left over 02's or used ones.
    BCSB- Moderator

Twinfan
    If you're thinking of a Twin, don't forget the Honda VTR Firehawk/Superhawk. Enough torque, less hardcore riding position. See if you can score a test ride.....

Cyntax
    Actually I was in exactly the same spot you are in now.

I had a 2000 R6 and wanted to upgrade..and I even used to live in Kelowna

When I was looking for a new bike I wanted something a little larger. I found the R6 physically too small for me (i'm 6'1") for longer rides. I wasn't really interested in horse power numbers but more in a bike that is just plain fun to ride. So I started reading the bike model specific forums to see what bike owners seem to be having the most fun. By far it was the TL1000R/S boards, TL owners are absolutely crazy about their bikes, and as I found out its for a very good reason. The TLR/S is just an insanely fun bike to ride.

I had also considered the RC51 but when sitting on it, it just didn't fit right, found it uncomfortable.

Give S&V Motorcycle world a call as well, they might be able to track a TLR down for you. That is where I bought mine.

Don't be stupid. Array Sikorsky's Avatar
    Bike
    KTM
    Imperial has a nice old Duc 851 for sale. Beautiful pipes, bunch of carbon goodies and 18.000km. Asking $11.500 but it has been there a while.

Private sale so only one tax. Ask the guys there about its history. they are an honest bunch. I just bought the other 851 they had there.
    The difference between you and me .........

Flieger sind Sieger! Array
    Bike
    04 Supersquid 750
    VTR, VTR, VTR, VTR...Is this getting redundant?

Bike
    TLR MIA
    TLR,TLR,TLR, all the way.
    I own a 2002 tlr.. I love the bike.. Has lost of torque fun to ride (wheelie machine).. The fuel compustion was not good at all. Around 140km to 175km to a tank depending on your riding.

I found the riding position of tlr was very comfortable.. Done couple of long ride on it..

Registered User Array
    Bike
    1999 ZRX 1100
    Geotlr you said you have done a couple of long rides on your bike well what in your oppinion is a long ride. Everyone has a different idea as far as what long is ?? 400km 500?? 1000? a ruff idea is fine.