Squeeky Forks

Thread: Squeeky Forks

Question Squeeky Forks

As I have mentioned before i am looking for a starter bike for my GF,. well i have found a decent 87 kawi ex500 ninja in pretty good over all shape for $2,000. The bike has 20,000km, and been regularily dealer maintained. It needs a few things ie battery, chain & sprockets and a few other odds n ends the only thing that worries me is the front forks. They are not leaking any oil, the dust seals seem good, and the function properly, but they creak/squeek a little bit when i was bouncing up and down on them.. this is my main concern because i know front forks can get expensive to rebuild,.. BMathews? or anyone else with some knowledge on this? Is this squeeking/creaking really bad.. its not really loud or constant but it does worry me a bit,.. could it be just low on forkoil perhaps?

Any info would be GREATLY appreciated..
    Last edited by dknite; 04-04-2002 at 09:13 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements

Out to pasture in the 'Wack
    04 Kawi Z1000,
    Either it's low in oil or possibly even it's gotten some water in it over the years or it's just been sitting for a while. The upper bushings and seals need a splash of oil now and then to stay lubed. Normally just riding and hitting bumps is enough to do this but if it sit's for a while then they can get a bit dry just from the stuff draining down.

But 87 is quite old. If you go for it get back to me for a list of things that are certainly worth doing before you let your GF trust her backside to it.
    A backyard mechanic without a service manual is just like a hooker without a lamp pole.... they are both in the dark.

Bmathews, thanks for the info,.. I am going to look at it again tonight, and il try splashing a bit of oil on the seals to loosen themup,.. is it a lot of work to change out for the forkoil? cause i imagine if it is low then rather than top it up, it should probably just be changed..