Keystone-Port Townsend Ferry in WA - No booking?

Thread: Keystone-Port Townsend Ferry in WA - No booking?

Keystone-Port Townsend Ferry in WA - No booking?

So with the weather looking decent this weekend, my wife and I thought we would head over to the Olympic Penisula for some riding. Planned to go down via Oak Harbour and then the ferry, but all the reservations are full for the whole day.

It has been ~8 years since I've taken the ferry, if we don't have a reso are we screwed? Or if we go down for the 10:15 or 12pm sailing are we likely to get on?

Rather spend the day riding versus hanging out at a ferry terminal, so may do some other routes instead if ferry is a no go
    Last edited by gripnrip; 06-24-2010 at 04:06 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements

2005 Hondabago
    From the website they load before vehicles and if you're late they'll cram whatever they can in. There's a contact number for specifics.

I believe the reservation is for a percentage of capacity. If they're full their reserve capacity is taken and you're on standby for whatever's left over - could be 10%, probably closer to 20%. You load before standby cars and if you're late they'll fit you if they can. I'll quote the contact for specifics if you get them please share.

Motorcycles at Port Townsend
    Stage with the vehicles prior to tollbooth to be directed to the staging lane. Loading Order: Loaded after bicycles and up to 6 vehicles: late arriving motorcycles are loaded at end of vessel load as space permits. Special Communication this route operates on a reservation system. To make a reservation 5-1-1 or 1-888-808-7977. You may arrive as a standby with out a reservation, but reservations are recommended. To make reservations online.
    Look not for happiness around the corner. Happiness is the corner. IBA#42642

Registered User Array Dee Hubbs's Avatar
    04 Daytona 600
    I have never had a reso for this ferry and have always got on. Just make sure the ferry your aiming for is not cancelled due to low tides. The cancellation schedule is online.
    On the Pt Townsend side make sure you go for a ride up Hurricane Ridge, its a State Park, but best $5 i have ever spent on my bike.

Thanks schmii, I missed that blurb on the site, wasn't sure how different their policies were towards bikes vs. BC Ferries

And thanks Dee Hubbs, that was the plan to ride Hurricane Ridge and out to Neah bay! Sounds like its safe to go without the reso!

Going slow to go fast Array Castro's Avatar
    07 R6, 07 KX250F
    ya just get there a bit early and go to the front. I've never had a problem getting on the ferry there.
    KISS - Keep It Simple Stupid