July 10 Ride to San Fran And Back 6-7 days

Thread: July 10 Ride to San Fran And Back 6-7 days

Registered User Array
    Bike
    08 Kawi Ninja

July 10 Ride to San Fran And Back 6-7 days

A couple of us are heading out to San Fran along the 101 coast highway on July 10th. We'll be going for 6-7 days total. This our first long trip and we don't really know how far we'll travel every day... approx 800k(hopefully).

Also if anyone just wants to join for the 1st day or 2 you're most welcome.
    Pace will be moderate. We'll be taking the I-5 to just past Seattle and then heading out to the coast 101.

Post up if you want in.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BCSportBikes.com
    Advertisements

Fast Pack Slow Guy Array Tattoodles's Avatar
    Bike
    A privileged sufferer settling for an Italian motorcycle
    The 101 to San Francisco from Vancouver is a 3 day ride no matter how you slice it. Add several more hours if you cut over to the 1 from Leggit, which is the best part of the trip IMO.

It's difficult to do really long days on the 101 due to the traffic mid summer and constantly having to slow down for all the towns, especially on the Oregon Coast.

I've done this route about 13 times over the decades.

Plan your first day to get you to Astoria or Seaside Oregon.

Second day to get you to Crescent City or Eureka if you're feeling ambitious.

Third day cut to the 1 from Leggit and it'll drop you out right at the Golden Gate bridge.

500km days will net you 8 or 9 hours of riding on the 101. 800km days will be about a 12 or 13 hour day.
    My bike is so much faster than yours that I dare you to ride it, you lame little turd. Do you have the balls to ride this BOTTOMLESS PIT OF TORQUE?

~Hunter S. Thompson

'Busa girls, God love 'em Array Argyle's Avatar
    Bike
    06 'Busa
    As above just got back from a 5 day trip down the Oregon coast... took keystone ferry over to Townsend, from hwy 20 W

Rode straight down the hwy 101 all the way...there was some amazing moments once you could get up to speed...A big WHEN

Unbelievable amount of cops along 101...all towns are stop and go... 30mph strict speed limit... then some unreal nice coastal scenery then town after town after town...did I mention 30 mph speed limit

No fear of ever running out of gas....maybe 50 km between each town

It is a great ride, you just need a lot of time to do it and enjoy it

I personally couldn't wait to get back to the I5, the roads from east to west and visa versa are amazing...no towns,great pavement,awesome twisties.

It wasn't what I thought it would be at all
    Last edited by Argyle; 07-02-2010 at 08:38 PM.

Moderator Array CoolDaddyGroove's Avatar
    Bike
    2014 Kawasaki ZX14R
    You will never do 800kms/day period along the coast. It's July, school's out, and so are the RV's. Don't ride teh Orgon Coast expecting to tear up any corners (which there are lots of). Do expect to stare at the back of a big white RV a lot.

If the goal of this trip is to see San Francisco, you can do it in 2 days (I've made San Diego in 2 days) but the only way you are gonna do it is by taking the I-5.

However, if your goal is to "ride northern California", then delete San Francisco from your list of desitinations and read up on all the amazing Northern Cali ride reports
    DON'T STUFF THE CAGERS!

Registered User Array
    Bike
    08 Kawi Ninja
    Thanks for all the info. It's our first time down the coast, any and all info is appreciated, especially the part about 800k taking 12-13 hours/day. Definitely not riding for 13 hours a day. I almost feel like selling my bike after being in the saddle for more than 8 hrs. straight... ALMOST.

Bike
    Ninja 1000
    To ride NorCal properly I would want a minimum of 10 days. To do San Fran, 14 days. When ever I ride anywhere long distance about 5% is spent on the major interstates and about 10% is spent on biways (i.e. hwy 101). If you have 6-7 days ride, ride Washington and Oregon. Given how iffy the weather has been you better off spending your time in the desert of Eastern Central/Eastern Washington & Oregon.

Bike
    2007 Honda CBR600RR
    Well looks like just me and you Bender. Thanks for all of the advice people.

Bike
    2007 Honda CBR600RR
    Just a quick update on the trip. Me and Airbender made it to San Fran in 3 days and we got lucky no tickets lol. Traffic was not bad at all and the stretch from Leggett on was insane. Spending today in San Fran and then heading back tomorrow. Bender will post up pics later on. Cheers

Registered User Array
    Bike
    1998 Kawasaki ZX6R
    I'm planning practically the same trip down to the MotoGP Laguna Seca and also my first time down the coast so all the information has been very helpful!

Did you guys book all your hotels prior to leaving or did you manage to roll up each night and find vacancies? I've been told to book in advance (especially for MotoGP week) but would rather not tie myself down like that. Any suggestions would go a long way at this point.

Enjoy the ride back and can't wait for the pics!

Bike
    Ninja 1000
    Just make sure to arrive into a town at 4pm (latest 5pm). By 6pm and on most motels and hotels book up.

Book on the fly. It's a much better experience. Garberville, CA turned out to be a great place. Learned how to make a pizza pie from scratch! Small towns FTW.

yorkshire sheep shagger Array mark's Avatar
    Bike
    2008 ZX10R- 2006 SPEEDTRIPLE
    Quote Originally Posted by Drearc08 View Post
    I'm planning practically the same trip down to the MotoGP Laguna Seca and also my first time down the coast so all the information has been very helpful!

Did you guys book all your hotels prior to leaving or did you manage to roll up each night and find vacancies? I've been told to book in advance (especially for MotoGP week) but would rather not tie myself down like that. Any suggestions would go a long way at this point.

Enjoy the ride back and can't wait for the pics!

I onlu book a motel in Monterey for the racing, I wing it getting there & back as far as motels are concerned, and its never been a problem, even for a 10 guy group, Monterey is real busy though, unless you stay outta a town a bit.

Registered User Array
    Bike
    1998 Kawasaki ZX6R
    Thanks for the info guys - great to know!

As for what I'm doing in Monterey..... camping at the track! First time ever off the back of a bike so expecting quite the learning curve.

Once again, appreciate the comments. Feel free to keep em coming...

Bike
    2007 Honda CBR600RR
    We arrived in towns and checked in as early as 8 and late as 11 never had any problems finding rooms. Stayed in Newport Oregon/ Garberville Cali and the Bay area. Have fun on your trip. Reason we never booked in advance was never really planned trip just winged it. No stress then.